Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Experiences with FFM Masks That Work for You
RE: Experiences with FFM Masks That Work for You
(10-08-2013, 11:27 AM)old dude Wrote: After some experimenting I substituted a headgear from the Fisher & Paykel Eson nasal mask. The top strap is adjustable, the material is probably twice the thickness of the Resmed material and it fits the Air perfectly and works like a dream. I've ordered some spares but never yet worn one out.

I'm taking your advice and ordering F&P headgear. It's amazing how much I'm spending on my new "hobby", but the ResMed headgear just doesn't cut it..

Thanks for the info.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 06:17 PM)mdh235 Wrote:
(10-08-2013, 11:27 AM)old dude Wrote: After some experimenting I substituted a headgear from the Fisher & Paykel Eson nasal mask. The top strap is adjustable, the material is probably twice the thickness of the Resmed material and it fits the Air perfectly and works like a dream. I've ordered some spares but never yet worn one out.

I'm taking your advice and ordering F&P headgear. It's amazing how much I'm spending on my new "hobby", but the ResMed headgear just doesn't cut it..

Thanks for the info.

Resmed headgear is part of what I cannot tolerate
Post Reply Post Reply
Put me down as another satisfied Quattro Air convert. I switched to it a couple of months ago from the Quattro FX which was my mask of choice for almost 2 years. Tried the Mirage Liberty (nasal prongs wouldn't seal) and Mirage Quattro (sores on nose bridge), but gave up on those 2 quickly. Like others have said, the Quattro Air is an extremely lightweight ffm, it's quiet and if you prefer hooks to clips, this mask fits the bill.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 05:54 AM)b360155 Wrote: Put me down as another satisfied Quattro Air convert. I switched to it a couple of months ago from the Quattro FX which was my mask of choice for almost 2 years. Tried the Mirage Liberty (nasal prongs wouldn't seal) and Mirage Quattro (sores on nose bridge), but gave up on those 2 quickly. Like others have said, the Quattro Air is an extremely lightweight ffm, it's quiet and if you prefer hooks to clips, this mask fits the bill.

how is it for leaks?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 11:43 AM)Kritiker Wrote:
(10-07-2013, 08:11 PM)me50 Wrote: They do NOT have masks for us to try on. They have masks that they supply on a mannequin head and they do NOT have all masks that are available.
I find this appalling. Is this common?

My DME certainly doesn't have all the possible masks available but I have always been offered the chance to try a mask from the rental/sample pool. My DME has boxes of these, right in the consulting room. These are disinfected after each rental/tryon.

Have you checked to see if there are other DMEs in your area that might provide better service? I know, this doesn't help you with your upcoming appointment but, if you do find such a DME, you might be able convince your DME to let you try its rental masks in the store, hooked up to your machine, if they won't let you use one of theirs.

As a last resort, try renting a potential mask, on the understanding that your rental fee, or at least a portion or it, will be applied to the purchase price. Repeat, as needed, until you find one that works.
It seems that it is only common for this DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 06:31 AM)me50 Wrote: how is it for leaks?

For me, the leak rates are in the single digits, well within the acceptable uninteded leak rate range, usually between 1.2 and 4.8. And I'm not even sure where the leaks are happening because I don't feel or hear any leaks at all. I used to get 0.0 leaks throughout the night with the Quattro FX, but find the Quattro Air to be a bit more comfortable to wear. As always though, leak rates can vary greatly from one person to another based on your facial features.

(10-09-2013, 06:37 AM)me50 Wrote: It seems that it is only common for this DME.

I agree with Kritiker that you should try and find another DME if your current one doesn't have masks you can demo. Masks are very expensive and to buy one without being able to try it out could be a very costly process. I believe most if not all manufacturers allow for a 30-day trial period and that if the DME receives one back in exchange, they get credit for the returned mask from the manufacturer such as Resmed. Also, although I've never used one, there are online CPAP suppliers that allow either free returns or low cost exchange programs.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried a dozen or so masks in the last two years. This continues to be a huge challenge for me. I even paid $1700 for a custom-made OPAP only to realize after about 20 minutes that there was no way this would work for me due to extreme air leakage. The mask I keep coming back to is the Quattro FX Full Face. Even though this mask leaks, it’s not as bad as the others.

My current solution is the use the Quattro FX with Quietus CPAP Liners (with the tacking agent). I use a liner for three nights. On the fourth, I use the mask without the liner because the residual tacking agent makes a great seal (unfortunately, the company refuses to reveal what that tacking agent is). On the nights that I use a liner, I apply Panama Jack Sunscreen Stick to my face. This helps reduce leakage.

I’ve tried Vaseline (which ruins the mask cushion), plumber’s grease (which does not ruin the cushion, but stinks) and I’ve even tried spirit gum. This makes a fantastic seal but the fumes are not healthy. I tried the gel seals and probably anything else commercially available.

There was a company in Australia that used to produce custom-made nasal masks, but they are no longer in business. But I have to have a full face mask anyway. There is a company in California attempting to perfect a custom making process for full face masks. Every once in a while I contact the owner to see if they are ready. I have even volunteered to be part of their trial, but they’re not even ready for that yet.

Good luck in your search for the right mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 08:40 AM)b360155 Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 06:31 AM)me50 Wrote: how is it for leaks?

For me, the leak rates are in the single digits, well within the acceptable uninteded leak rate range, usually between 1.2 and 4.8. And I'm not even sure where the leaks are happening because I don't feel or hear any leaks at all. I used to get 0.0 leaks throughout the night with the Quattro FX, but find the Quattro Air to be a bit more comfortable to wear. As always though, leak rates can vary greatly from one person to another based on your facial features.
Thank you B36. I am having another sleep study this Friday so I think I am going to ask them to try different ffm on me (excluding Quattro FX which I do NOT like at all and have a love/hate relationship with it....I love it b/c it enables me to use my machine but that is the only reason I love it lol)

(10-09-2013, 06:37 AM)me50 Wrote: It seems that it is only common for this DME.

I agree with Kritiker that you should try and find another DME if your current one doesn't have masks you can demo. Masks are very expensive and to buy one without being able to try it out could be a very costly process. I believe most if not all manufacturers allow for a 30-day trial period and that if the DME receives one back in exchange, they get credit for the returned mask from the manufacturer such as Resmed. Also, although I've never used one, there are online CPAP suppliers that allow either free returns or low cost exchange programs.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2013, 01:21 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Well, I've been in the hunt for a good FFM for use when I get plugged up. I can mirror the comments on the Mirage Quattro...good, tacky seal, but heavy and can be very rough on the nose if you have a bigger schnozz like me.

The Quattro Air, IME, is a lot like the Mirage FX...nice and comfy, but can be finicky. I don't usually run big pressure and found it sealed fairly well. Big plusses: light weight and quiet. Possible cons: can be tough to get a good seal and keep it.

I've test fit a few others, but can't give much on them. Was hoping to try a Simplus here, but the local DME that would have them can't get stock Sad I guess they are popular.

The Simplus can be ordered here... [Commercial DME link removed per Apnea Board rules] I have one and it was great for the first few nights but like with all FFM that I have tried you still get leaks during the night even though they fit nicely when you go to bed. Still much better then anything else I have tried in a FFM.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Tony....my main DME has ordered me one so I can try it vs. the Quattro Air. Trying out the large size Air now....I'm an in-betweener in terms of size (M/L) so we'll see how it does and, hopefully, I'll be able to at least try the Simplus before making a final decision. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 71 7 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 341 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 621 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 493 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.