Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to set correct cpap setting using apap data
RE: How to set correct cpap setting using apap data
If you want the best setup, set you min on 90th percentile or 1 below that, and your max 2cm above if fluctuation bothers you.
Youll have a very tight pressure range but still be much better off than on straight pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2016, 05:39 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If you want the best setup, set you min on 90th percentile or 1 below that, and your max 2cm above if fluctuation bothers you.
Youll have a very tight pressure range but still be much better off than on straight pressure.

Thanx Ghost

Well, the straight pressure is for if I use my other constant pressure cpap if I can't use the apap for one reason or another.

But, in either case, I thought the idea behind an apap was to have a big enough range so it covered you wherever you needed it.

Originally it was set with an initial of 4 and I had experimented having no initial but set at 6, then 7 and now 8 as it seems more comfortable to breathe now at 8. But if I set the apap 9.5 the top at two above which would be 11.5 then what about the times that the machine thinks I need to be at 12, 13, 14, 15? Wouldn't I be getting less than optimal therapy that way? Doesn't totally make sense to me.

If that were the case,then it seems now that I know what my readings are that I could set the constant pressure cpap to 11.5 which I had done before I got the apap and just retire the apap. I must be missing something hereHuhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2016, 08:04 PM)Lanco Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 05:39 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If you want the best setup, set you min on 90th percentile or 1 below that, and your max 2cm above if fluctuation bothers you.

Thanx Ghost

Well, the straight pressure is for if I use my other constant pressure cpap if I can't use the apap for one reason or another.

But, in either case, I thought the idea behind an apap was to have a big enough range so it covered you wherever you needed it.

Originally it was set with an initial of 4 and I had experimented having no initial but set at 6, then 7 and now 8 as it seems more comfortable to breathe now at 8. But if I set the apap 9.5 the top at two above which would be 11.5 then what about the times that the machine thinks I need to be at 12, 13, 14, 15? Wouldn't I be getting less than optimal therapy that way? Doesn't totally make sense to me.

If that were the case,then it seems now that I know what my readings are that I could set the constant pressure cpap to 11.5 which I had done before I got the apap and just retire the apap. I must be missing something hereHuhsign

You could leave the max pressure open and it wont go higher than it needs too.
I was thinking you were bothered by pressure change. Why I suggested a tight max limit.

If your not bothered by pressue changes, set your min at about 9 or 10, leave the max open or limit it to say 18 if high pressure bothers you.

The trick is the closer your min is to your 90% pressure, the less your machine has to raise pressure to catch up.

Example my 90% is 12cm with a nasal mask.
When my apap was set to min 8 per the doc and 18 max, i regularly hit max prezsures of 15 16 17 every night.

When i bumped my min up to 10 my ahi went from 2-3 to 1 or less and machine rarely touches 13max.
The min side is where you really fine tune to make a difference. The max if your min is adjusted properly can usually be left wide open and will take care of itself.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: Ostrich
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.