Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Experimenting with pressure?
Experimenting with pressure?
After my first sleep study it was determined my SA was mild (14) when on my side but severe when I was on my back (51). So I went back for a second sleep study and my pressure of 10 was settled upon, but nearly the whole study was done with me on the side. It was noted that this pressure might not be sufficient if I slept on my back. Which of course does happen since even though I do go to sleep on my side, I have awaken on my back many times.

Now, not even getting into why I wasn't turned on my back to see if 10 would be sufficient, I have decided to experiment with slightly higher pressures to see if it makes a difference. I do feel better since being on the CPAP (approx 3 weeks), and if the AHI readings are anywhere accurate on the Dreammapper app, I'm usually below 5, though a couple times it has been higher (11).

I'm going with 10.5 starting tonight for a few nights and go up .5 till maybe 12 or so. I'm also going to try to go to sleep on my back and see what the AHI readings are. I wish I could get Sleeyhead or EncorePro downloaded, but am having trouble getting both to work.

Anyway, anyone think this isn't a ok idea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Experimenting with pressure?
Hi Triggerracing, welcome to the Forum, you will find an abundance of help here. I have adjusted my pressure in increments of 0.5 until I found what seems to be my optimum with my current setup. However, you should not make a change without giving a setting enough time to generate some meaningful data. My changes have been at least a couple of weeks apart. Your AHI results are looking good this early in your treatment so don't rush the pressure changes. I started with 9 CM H2O and went up 0.5 each step, settling at 10.5.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2016, 06:11 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Hi Triggerracing, welcome to the Forum, you will find an abundance of help here. I have adjusted my pressure in increments of 0.5 until I found what seems to be my optimum with my current setup. However, you should not make a change without giving a setting enough time to generate some meaningful data. My changes have been at least a couple of weeks apart. Your AHI results are looking good this early in your treatment so don't rush the pressure changes. I started with 9 CM H2O and went up 0.5 each step, settling at 10.5.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Will do, that's what I planned, going up .5 every two weeks. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
So what is baffling is why you wouldn't use your auto CPAP to titrate a pressure that works all the time. Set the minimum APAP pressure at 10, and sleep on your side, but if you roll on your back, a pressure increase up to 20 is available. I'm not sure what a good maximum pressure might be, but to titrate you for only a specific sleep position seems a bit irresponsible.

Set the machine for auto mode and use a minimum pressure of 10, which seems to work. Let the machine increase pressure if you change position. It seems almost logical enough your doctor might go along with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Triggerracing,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,350 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
  [Diagnosis] Experimenting with CPAP titration for my wife walkingdead 22 2,389 10-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Last Post: walkingdead

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.