Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Explanation of Terms
RE: Explanation of Terms
(02-18-2018, 04:54 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: If my value for Flow Limitations is .43, what is that actually telling me?

We don't know! They don't tell us how those numbers are calculated.

Flow limitation is used by the machine's software to make pressure adjustments. The idea is that when flow limitation rises it's likely that an obstruction is pending, so the machine raises the pressure to stop the obstruction before it can happen.

In some way that's a mystery (the manufacturers like to keep these things a secret so they can beat their competition) the shape of the flow rate graph is used to determine flow limitation. You can see that when the shape starts to change the flow limitation goes up. I think they are just using some arbitrary scale that ranges from zero to one.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So you're saying that it's just telling me that I have some degree of obstruction and the number itself may be rather arbitrary?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is arbitrary, but rather the graph of a mathematical expression of inspiratory shape or roundness based on a 5 Hz signal from the machine sensors.

We should have probably left it at arbitrary. It is "relative" to your normal breathing, rather than an absolute value. I believe there is a comparison to your baseline breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hahahaha! Yes, "arbitrary" works for my brain! Thanks again, guys.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central sleep apnea - A quick 5 minute video explanation. Expat31 2 509 09-20-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  CPAP Terms/Data Help edyurgal 0 430 04-11-2023, 12:42 PM
Last Post: edyurgal
  [CPAP] Oscar Terms Avery 3 824 12-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Avery
  Resmed Menu Terms guitarguy59 1 750 04-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Illorum
  In Need of explanation of results of Cervical Collar Experiment Plmnb 11 2,554 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  flow limit explanation renoir 3 1,151 11-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  I can't seem to understand leaks, anyone with a simple explanation? Maxmom 5 1,158 08-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Maxmom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.