Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exploring full face type masks
Exploring full face type masks
The ResMed F10 is what they fitted me with five years ago and I just assumed it was the best that would work for me, though I never was that happy with it. Leaks might be my top complaint, the straps were horrible to keep adjusting. I just moved to the F20 for her and am much happier. Now, either the DME are not doing their job right or the insurance is just that much of a hindrance, but they sent me the whole mask set minus the straps. Why? Because they’d sent straps only for the F10 three months prior, and due to some mixup I should’ve been getting a replacement mask instead - I didn’t need the frame, tubing, straps, just the mask, but they now said insurance only allows one mask a year. I have to use a full face mask and have always gotten 4 per year, suddenly I’m only allowed 1. So when they sent the new F20, guess what they sent with it? 4 masks. Yes indeedy! 

I have Myasthenia Gravis, and a nasal mask exhausts every muscle in my mouth and throat very rapidly. In short order I can’t even talk without slurring my words, my mouth hangs open, and soon my breathing is compromised from the exertion the nasal mask induces. Somehow the insurance company was hell bent on sending me a full set of nasal masks and headgear. I tried it as I was desperate for a mask, but same effect as I remembered when they tried that in the hospital 5 years ago. 

All that to say I currently use the F20 for her but have had to use the N20 strap on it. Wow do I love the magnetic straps!! Once I get the correct strap (DME has just sent the wrong strap and want it back, and claim to have shipped the new one but actually haven’t so I have to call them yet again). I guess I’m going to have to buy a strap, and of course the new one will arrive the day after because that’s how this all works, haha. It gives me a red raw stripe on my nose between my eyes. And for the first time in my life I have bags under my eyes, this mask seems to be pushing and retaining fluid on top of my cheeks and under my eyes. I do use higher pressure

I’m wondering if one of those under the nose face masks would work for me. I have a mole on my upper lip which really hinders mask fit. They tried to fit me with one of those to begin with but it wouldn’t seal. I’m thinking I should have it removed so I can use any mask style. Even the nasal mask wasn’t sealing around it.

Anyone have a mask suggestion?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exploring full face type masks
Forgive me if this is off-topic, and I don't mean to derail your thread, but I just read about a brand-new FFM coming on the market. It is not yet available in the US but should be soon. Fisher & Paykel "Evora full." F&P has some of the best seals on the market, and the description of this mask sounds great. Judging from the website pictures, the seal technology appears to be entirely different from the technology used by other manufacturers.

This may be worth your consideration in future.

To check it out, visit https://www.fphcare.com/nz/homecare/slee...vora-full/. If the site asks you whether you want to go to the US site versus the New Zeeland site, take New Zeeland. Evora full will be released in Australia and New Zeeland first, with other countries to follow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow that looks perfect for me. Thank you so much for sharing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
The terms you use when talking to the insurance and DME people matter - the cushion is the replaceable mask part that you snap onto the frame, which is attached to the headgear that holds it on your face and head.  When they say mask, they mean the complete assembly, including the frame, cushion and headgear.  My insurance over the years has varied, but has allowed either one or two full mask sets per year.  However, all my insurance plans have allowed for monthly replacement of the cushions.

It’s possible they didn’t understand what you were asking for - in my experience, the DMEs have not exactly hired the best of the best for their customer service people.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might be interested in the Resmed Airfit F30 mask which is similar to the Fisher & Paykel "Evora full. I looked at the F&P website about the mask and the 1 thing I did not like is that there a appears to be no hose swivel connection, it just comes straight down. Other than that it looks nice. I have had very good results with the F30.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2021, 09:20 PM)WhyMe Wrote: The terms you use when talking to the insurance and DME people matter - the cushion is the replaceable mask part that you snap onto the frame, which is attached to the headgear that holds it on your face and head.  When they say mask, they mean the complete assembly, including the frame, cushion and headgear.  My insurance over the years has varied, but has allowed either one or two full mask sets per year.  However, all my insurance plans have allowed for monthly replacement of the cushions.

It’s possible they didn’t understand what you were asking for - in my experience, the DMEs have not exactly hired the best of the best for their customer service people.

Right. I should’ve said cushion here as well. But yes, I did say “cushion” to my DME. I even specified to them the frame and headgear did not need replacement. What I think now is they didn’t have any more F10 masks in stock and just ran in circles. In the end they said it was discontinued, and would I like to try the “new” F20. It’s the only time I’ve ever had trouble with them, and yet they were still helpful but just awfully confusing.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW - I have tried the AirFit f20, the AirTouch F20, the F30 and the F30i. I couldn’t get a consistent seal with the AirFit F20 (the silicone version), but had great luck with the AirTouch F20 (with memory foam). However, I ended up with pain where the cushion rests on the bridge of the nose.

The F30 (under the nose, but covers the whole mouth, has the hose coming from the nose area) worked great, only having leakage issues when I slept hard on my side, pushing at the hose and cushion. The F30i (hose coming from top of head) works even better for me, so that’s what I use now. Since the nasal part seals at the nostrils and the whole mouth is covered, I would think there is a good possibility your mole would not be an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
WhyMe thanks for the comparison.

I have a wonderful DME supplier. They loan trial masks to me when I request them.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,598 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 251 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.