Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Export Data functionality of OSCAR
Export Data functionality of OSCAR
I would like to download to a spreadsheet all the Flowrate-time data for specific days on my Resmed Airsense 11 and also on my wife's Respironics Dreamstation 1.
The purpose of this down load is to closely examine the shape of the flowrate curve that is used by Resmed evaluate and detect flow limitations. 
I used to down load all readings on my Remstar using Encore (but that was years ago.

So, I'd like instructions how to download and export  the  flowrate data as a function of time for each session.

(I expect that the data is somewhere, otherwise OSCAR would be unable to graph the flow rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Export Data functionality of OSCAR
Perhaps a visual will help to explain what I'm trying to compare. Below is the flowrate-time graph for my normal breathing while awake. The second graph is the "normal" flow morphology. Exportation of the flowrate data would be very helpful to characterize my "normal" breathing. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, welcome

You can export some data via
file > export data > csv export wizard > and then select your range (dates) and your resolution. Export to CSV.

I am not sure all the data you need is there but would be interested in how you would use this.

Is that what you were after?

the FL numbers / data seem to be subject to proprietary algorithms.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bobert9970,

Some of us here use "EDF Browser". It's free and available from the author here , both the 32 and 64 bit versions. If unsure of your system, I'd recommend the 32 bit for what you are doing--it's like what I have done, a minor task for the browser.. 

After installation you can easily do that one simple thing you wish to do with it. Copy one of the date folders inside the DATALOG folder into your work folder. Then open that date folder with EDF browser. You will see about a dozen files.

Pick out your BRP  data file(s?) which you will be wanting. Then open them one at a time and close them. Go to the EDF browser Tools menu after each closing and select the menu item for conversion of the file to csv or ASCII format. I forget which, I think I used csv. Once again, there will be several resulting text files as were generated by your second conversion step.

One or more BRP text files comprise your elapsed-time-stamped FR and pressure log. 

BRP files names show the actual device starting times that must be added to the elapsed times. For a whole night with any breaks, that necessity and need for continuity of the completed product is a pain. You will need to fill gaps of pee-break-broken files to create a whole session file.  Say, you are doing some kind of research: you'll need to (1) of course ,ripple appropriate local starting and ending times through each BRP file (assuming there are two or more) and (2) create and insert missing time stamps with zero FR for the time duration of any "off" or "mask off/disconnected" period for a pee-break. Starting time must flow and accumulate in .04 second increments from the start of the session through your whole session of interest--IF you plan to import your finished product into OSCAR using its Somnopose import feature..  

The BRP file with FR and pressure has 4 columns, easy to see what is what. (The last column of each data file has a check sum or other file control number. It is extraneous for us doing what we do. I always delete or ignore it.)

I use Excel to open and parse the csv or ASCII, whatever, file and convert it to csv or ordinary workbook format.

You might ID the file you want and then click around to explore what the files hold. Many are not of interest and won't open because the header is improper in some sense for the EDF browser. There are a lot of small files. Usually any BRP or PLD files of interest are at least of 3k size. I'll click those if they are data files to be sure they don't hold data I need if analyzing a whole night.  

(Off but close to topic: The PLD data file has about 10 columns of other data OSCAR displays, including, e.g., flow limits. There is a file which gives the sleep data ID (say "FL") for each of the 10 PLD data file columns. Those data columns are only headed by column numbers. Also, to see some file start times and dates you need to scroll right and decipher the first rows.)

As opening a file with the Browser, note the start time and elapsed time for the file you are converting. I consider that time to be correct. PLD files sometimes reflect 1-second differences, if you deem that significant. I've never seen a BRP file time discrepancy.

Given that you have done this kind of thing before, you probably know most all above and, if you've read through, your eyes are glazed over. Sorry. I started using EDF Browser, groped around and made a lot of mistakes at first, hence the detail. I believe it is all correct, but haven't used that browser for a while.

Good luck!

Re your flow limited waveform: sheepless (currently in Software Forum page 1 or 2), cathyf and I, among others, have active threads with a lot pertinent to flow limitations. The AB wiki has a lot of good info, too. I haven't yet but will be revisiting Cathy's latest technical find but it looked very relevant regarding flow limitations and their inspiratory wave deformation signatures. Google advanced search of the AB site can be very focused to dig specific things out of its posts, older ones and newer ones..

2SB

Full URL for EDF browser site https://www.teuniz.net/edfbrowser/
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
SUPER BIG THANKS. I haven't acted on anything you've offered yet, but super great leads !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR shows missing data for multi week interval Dawnstar 2 48 04-21-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Dawnstar
  OSCAR Vs device data Siva 1 103 04-17-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Oscar "No Supported Data Found" Resmed Airsense 11 cpapmj 3 127 04-13-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR import of Viatom/Wellue data - DST time base SleeperAwake21 5 957 03-30-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  OSCAR not recognising SD card data from BMC alid 7 297 03-30-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: alid
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 3 279 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Uploading Wellue O2 Ring Data to Oscar ggs5 9 940 03-29-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: StuartC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.