Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead Data Weirdness
Question 
Sleepyhead Data Weirdness
Last night in a fit of boredom, I was rummaging through the setup menu on my CPAP machine looking at results.
"Last 7 days - AHI: 0."
Huh?
No apneas?
Not according to Sleepyhead which says I average between 1 and 3 a night.

For the Sleephead experts: Does Sleepyhead interpret the data or just take what the machine gives it?

For another example - from last night (N1.jpg) it sees this as an hypopnea.
Not close.

What do you trust? Sleephead or the machine?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead Data Weirdness
SleepyHead generally reports higher numbers than the other software I use (ResScan) but it's not a huge difference. I don't know which is more accurate.

I think I had read that hypopneas are scored as a 40% reduction in flow for 10 seconds followed by a recovery breath. There doesn't need to be a flat line in the flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2013, 04:49 PM)Paptillian Wrote: I think I had read that hypopneas are scored as a 40% reduction in flow for 10 seconds followed by a recovery breath. There doesn't need to be a flat line in the flow.

Yeah, read that too. The readout has no difference in the flow for several minutes on either side of that marker.
That's one of the thing's that are making me question the accuracy.

Thanks.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
It is also possible that the machine is not displaying it properly.

SleepyHead and ResScan are both fairly close for my data. It seems as though they round off the numbers differently.

That is a hypopnea in the image. It is flatter than those around it. Granted, not by much but enough to register. When it comes to hypopneas, I look at length, not that one was counted.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2013, 05:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is also possible that the machine is not displaying it properly.

SleepyHead and ResScan are both fairly close for my data. It seems as though they round off the numbers differently.

That is a hypopnea in the image. It is flatter than those around it. Granted, not by much but enough to register. When it comes to hypopneas, I look at length, not that one was counted.

Hi Paula -

Thanks for your interpretation. I was maybe weighing too much on the supposedly "40 Percent" drop necessary to qualify.
So, any clearly visible flattening is something to look for?

Thanks.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2013, 04:10 PM)courtney123 Wrote: Last night in a fit of boredom, I was rummaging through the setup menu on my CPAP machine looking at results.
"Last 7 days - AHI: 0."
Huh?
No apneas?
Not according to Sleepyhead which says I average between 1 and 3 a night.

If you have between 1 and 3 events per (8 hour) night that's a AHI of between 0.1 and 0.4. That's pretty low.

Is your machine set to not display AHI?

Quote:For the Sleephead experts: Does Sleepyhead interpret the data or just take what the machine gives it?

It does some of each. When in the daily view look and see how long these events last. If they have a duration close to 10 seconds I can see how it's possible that the machine is not counting them but SleepyHead is. 10 seconds is the cut-off time. If an event lasts less than 10 seconds it doesn't count as an event. Unless you've gone into the SleepyHead settings and told it to count events that last for less than 10 seconds.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I realize my AHI is low enough to consider CPAP therapy a home run for me - especially since my sleep study showed 30/hour.

I'm just curious about the discrepancy between what the machines shows and SleepHead reports.
It's amazing the things we come up with to drive ourselves crazy :-)
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
My point was that it's so low it's pretty close to the zero that your machine is reporting.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss Apnea23 3 578 03-11-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 798 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,281 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 vs CPAP data in Sleepyhead Albercook 8 2,389 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Albercook
  Transferring to new Hard Drive - Sleepyhead data files Mosquitobait 3 1,624 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.