Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exporting data from Sleephead
Exporting data from Sleephead
I have noticed a distinct oscillation to my breathing patterns that I would like to analyze using FFT, Wavelets and Time Series, in Mathematica or Matlab. It is a repeated Cheynes Stokes pattern which could be quite serious if it is associated with congestive heart failure (CHF). It could also be idiopathic as this has not been noted on any recent EKG.

How do I export the data behind the Flow Rate Graph to an analysis program in a readable format?

Where is the data located? (I assume it is one of the numbered files in the Events or Summaries folders deep in the Data Folder. I could extract the data from these if I know the format. I have looked at these in Byte form and they appear t be ASCII encoded but I haven't gone further than that yet.)

What is the appropriate format?

And to answer your inevitable questions: Yes, I am a geek and have been using computers in various forms since 1964. My Ph.D. is in Mechanical Engineering (but my thesis was in the use of Artificial Intelligence, of which I have plenty,) and I also have degrees in Physics and Electrical Engineering. My specialty is Mechatronics which combines all of the above. Forgive me if I seem a bit arrogant... I am often accused of this despite no intent on my part to be so.

Thank you for your help.

Walter W. Olson, Ph. D., P.E.
Professor Emeritus
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exporting data from Sleephead
Walter, the best way to view and analyze the data would be to start with the Sleepyhead software linked at the top of this page. It provides a detailed breath by breath view of your CPAP pressure and flow rate waveform graphs. Also, Sleepyhead allows easy screenshots to be taken for analysis or posting online. This article explains some of those capabilities http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Also, being a geek, take a look at RobySue's Beginner Guide to Sleepyhead in the Wiki. Some of this may be elementary to you, but there is some good information here. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...sleepyhead
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Walter,

You might download the source code for SleepyHead and view the code that it uses to parse the info you're after. The instructions for this endeavor are listed under the SleepyHead link at the top of the page. . . Look for "Building from source code" or, use this link to take you to the same place.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rom_source

-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 12:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Walter, the best way to view and analyze the data would be to start with the Sleepyhead software linked at the top of this page. It provides a detailed breath by breath view of your CPAP pressure and flow rate waveform graphs. Also, Sleepyhead allows easy screenshots to be taken for analysis or posting online. This article explains some of those capabilities http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Also, being a geek, take a look at RobySue's Beginner Guide to Sleepyhead in the Wiki. Some of this may be elementary to you, but there is some good information here. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...sleepyhead

I have looked at both and have both on my computer. But I want to do a more thorough analysis for which I have plenty of software to do it with provided I can get the raw data. I should add, I have also started looking at Sleepyhead source code, but if there is anything true, looking a some one else's source code is very tedious and time consuming.
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 12:43 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Walter,

You might download the source code for SleepyHead and view the code that it uses to parse the info you're after. The instructions for this endeavor are listed under the SleepyHead link at the top of the page. . . Look for "Building from source code" or, use this link to take you to the same place.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rom_source

-Red

Thank you, I have already started that. /WWO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 12:54 PM)wolson Wrote: I have looked at both and have both on my computer. But I want to do a more thorough analysis for which I have plenty of software to do it with provided I can get the raw data. I should add, I have also started looking at Sleepyhead source code, but if there is anything true, looking a some one else's source code is very tedious and time consuming.

Sleepyhead has an "export data" feature on the "File" menu, that will create a CSV file containing all the events, but not the raw data.

If you want the waveform, you'll need to dig through the code and figure out how to extract it from your card data. This is not an easy task, and if you actually manage to do it, and analyze the data, you might want to consider contributing your code to the SleepyHead project to everybody can benefit.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 01:06 PM)Terry Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 12:54 PM)wolson Wrote: I have looked at both and have both on my computer. But I want to do a more thorough analysis for which I have plenty of software to do it with provided I can get the raw data. I should add, I have also started looking at Sleepyhead source code, but if there is anything true, looking a some one else's source code is very tedious and time consuming.

Sleepyhead has an "export data" feature on the "File" menu, that will create a CSV file containing all the events, but not the raw data.

If you want the waveform, you'll need to dig through the code and figure out how to extract it from your card data. This is not an easy task, and if you actually manage to do it, and analyze the data, you might want to consider contributing your code to the SleepyHead project to everybody can benefit.

Terry

Thank you. I will consider doing that.

From a short search of the web, I have found that my question is pertinent to a number of people that want to look a the data numerically.

Still looking, though.

Walt

P.S.: I would be very interested in what "jedimark" has to say about this as he apparently has done a lot of work towards Sleephead! I hope he responds. He is in a antipodal timezone from me so I probably won't know until tomorrow. /WWO

Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 02:03 PM)wolson Wrote: P.S.: I would be very interested in what "jedimark" has to say about this as he apparently has done a lot of work towards Sleephead! I hope he responds. He is in a antipodal timezone from me so I probably won't know until tomorrow. /WWO

JediMark has been under the weather as of late. His reply my be a while in coming.

Your profile shows a P-R (I think). Is this the machine that you are wanting to analyze the raw data?

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 02:14 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 02:03 PM)wolson Wrote: P.S.: I would be very interested in what "jedimark" has to say about this as he apparently has done a lot of work towards Sleephead! I hope he responds. He is in a antipodal timezone from me so I probably won't know until tomorrow. /WWO

JediMark has been under the weather as of late. His reply my be a while in coming.

Your profile shows a P-R (I think). Is this the machine that you are wanting to analyze the raw data?

Yes, I am using a Philips Respironics System One 60 Series.

Walt

Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
If the files are of the EDF exntension you can try a script written in Python that supposedly pulls the data out. github.com/rays/pyedf I have not tested it but I might now that I found it. You can read more on the EDF file format here: edfplus.info/specs/index.html
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 86 Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 293 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,634 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
Question Exporting OSCAR Graphs Wizard99 2 250 02-09-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Wizard99
  Exporting Oscar File kevinmallard 2 481 12-19-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: kevinmallard
  Changed data directory from OneDrive, Now can't read data Rich66 9 1,031 08-24-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Exporting detailed data from OSCAR newuser1002 1 586 05-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.