Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extension Cords
Extension Cords
I've read here that a person should bring an extension cord when traveling with their pap equipment.  I was curious if any of you have found a particular extension cord that might work better for traveling.  

I would like to get something of high quality, with an appropriate length, that can be packed easily in the case with everything else..

I realize that the best answer may be "anything will work."  If you have anything that has worked especially well for you, I would be interested in hearing about it!

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extension Cords
One with a flat end is good.

The higher the gauge (AWG), the thinner the cord. So get a gauge with a lower number, especially when you get over 6' in length. I think a 16 AWG gauge is good for what we need it for. If you want to get one with multiple outlets on the end to use for other stuff, then go 14.

6' length. Only once have I wished I had something longer. Hotels are getting better at where they put plugs now because of all the electronics people have with them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd use one with a surge protector.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If taking a cruise vacation, be sure to check with the cruise line about their rules concerning extension cords and surge protectors. Some flat prohibit either one and will confiscate them when boarding. Those that prohibit extension cords will provide one, with distilled water if requested. As for surge protectors on ships, they are a fire hazard and should never be used on a ship ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what kind of feed line there is on the ResMes S-10 power supply, but if it one that looks like a little figure 8 with two female plug holes on the end that goes into the power supply, you can buy those in different lengths and totally eliminate an extension cord. I replaced the 6 foot one that came with the S-8 Autoset II with a 12 foot long one. I think I saw one even at 15 feet long which should work in most all hotel rooms.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I use this. Long enough to act as an extension cord and with a cutout

[Image: po-8718444082972.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a 14 gauge ten footer in motels and trains and it worked well for me. I also used a 3 outlet tap/adapter so phone/tablets could also be connected.
Post Reply Post Reply
do they make cords with a ground fault interrupt? Do outlets on a ship have a GFI?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2017, 07:50 PM)Beej Wrote: do they make cords with a ground fault interrupt? Do outlets on a ship have a GFI?

Cruise ships do not have GFI outlets; they would not work anyway. Below is a link to a US Coast Guard Safety Alert that explains why standard surge protectors are not recommended for any water vessel, including cruise ships, because they are a serious fire hazard. The USCG Safety Alert includes a picture of what can happen when a standard surge protector is used on a ship. Bottom line, the AC power wiring on a ship is very different than what we all have at home even though it is not obvious to most people.

(BTW - - The link is to my cloud web site, but the author is well known to readers of a large Cruise Forum and one posters on that Board reported that a surge protector caused a fire in their cabin, but were lucky to happen to go back to the cabin before the fire spread. The author of the USCG Alert is a frequent poster on that Board and has had to explain many times why all surge protectors should be left at home.)

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6773425_06745438_469498
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Belkin surge that plugs into the outlet then I plug the extension cord into that. But only if the outlet location has enough room for it. A proper surge strip with its own cord doesn't have a very long cord. The longer the cord, the more power is lost. So a thicker gauge can "hold" that power over longer distances, although some is still lost. So a surge strip, which is based on power fluctuations, would need a short, thick cord. I've had one or two that had 6' cords and they died quickly. Coincidence or not, I never got another. Longest I do is 3-4'.

But we're talking a simple CPAP with little draw. So a simple extension cord is good.

Only use wall outlets, though. Sometimes the lamp outlet has a little less or is too fluctuating. Or worse, attached to a wall switch.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP, tent camping & extension cords? chrisiscitrus 13 3,380 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Recommendation on extension cord for international use vroomvroom 4 1,929 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Short tube extension increasing my AHI yankees123 9 1,592 03-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Stom
  SD Card Extension Newbee2016 32 5,238 02-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  S9 autoset and extension cord truetopath 19 6,728 04-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Last Post: surferdude2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.