Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates
Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates
I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  It's a semi-arid climate, with less humidity than my previous northern abode alongside the Mississippi River.  

Although I fill the humidifier reservoir on my ResMed Aircurve 10 to the max allowed, in a typical night it uses all the water available before morning.  The dry reservoir -- and the burning smell of the air before the heater turns off -- often wakes me up.  Not ideal for a full night's sleep.

In contrast, when I travel north where the ambient humidity is higher, I often awake with the reservoir half full of water remaining.  Adjusting the temperature to a cooler setting doesn't seem to help.  I imagine if I lived in the Arizona desert, I would have real problems.

However,  I finally got around to buying a SoClean purifier, which has a replacement upper lid for the humidifier.  This lid also has an air port used in the SoClean process.  I quickly realized I could use this "feature" to add reservoir capacity, with a standard Rubber Bulb Syringe.  Now, I fill the reservoir to capacity, then suck about 3 oz of water into the syringe, then top off the water in the reservoir.  This added capacity now provides enough water for a full night's sleep.  HTH others.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates
Clever!  It doesn't apply to me in the PNW, Vancouver Island, where my reservoir lasts at least three days.  But, my temp and humidity settings are at rock bottom.

Have you experimented with a lower hose temp and less humidity?  If not, it might be worth two more crappy nights' sleep to check it out. Start with half-reduction, and then incrementally raise it by 20% until you find it working for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think my reservoir water consumption is a product of the very high VPAP pressures I require (17-22).
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are right about the pressure, etc.  I live in a high altitude arid climate with the temp 74 and humidity up to 6 and my reservoir will last 10 hours of use easily as a comparison measure for you
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in the desert of AZ at just shy of 3000' and have never had issues with my tank running dry. But then, I run my humidity at 0 and just let the air flow over the water. Never had any issues with dry sinuses and the like.

The was a post some time ago where the poster had made a supplemental water reservoir for his tank. I can't even begin to figure out how to search for it. Maybe one of the other old timers here can remember the series.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a couple of different threads from users who increased the capacity by adding external water supply:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid428540

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid150794

The second link is fairly old (2016) but it's another option.

Both require modification of the humidifier tank, so proceed with caution (and have a spare tank handy just in case! Smile )
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As noted in my first post, I don't need someone else's solution, as I posted MY solution... to share with everyone else.

It's simple, requires ZERO modification -- other than a simple substitution of the original reservoir top with the SoClean top -- and the bulb syringe is an item anyone can acquire at Walmart. The other options are much more complicated.

Thanks for the replies, but I do wonder if any of you actually read my initial post.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did, honest, but I did wander off a bit into the weeds.  Sorry.

Just something to keep in mind: doubling and tripling the capacity also has the effect of concentrating more dissolved solids and salts by the time you get down to the dregs, and over time this might begin to show as a deposit.  If you really do empty pretty much every day, and rinse, or if you use RO or distilled water, it really doesn't matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water exclusively. I don't experience any deposits if the reservoir doesn't run dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2022, 12:13 PM)DFWdude Wrote: However,  I finally got around to buying a SoClean purifier, which has a replacement upper lid for the humidifier.  This lid also has an air port used in the SoClean process.  I quickly realized I could use this "feature" to add reservoir capacity, with a standard Rubber Bulb Syringe.  Now, I fill the reservoir to capacity, then suck about 3 oz of water into the syringe, then top off the water in the reservoir.  This added capacity now provides enough water for a full night's sleep.  HTH others.

DFW,

I too have a problem running out of water too soon in the night and after seeing the other humidifier tank mods on this board yours looks like the most elegant and simple of all of them to add more water to a tank reservoir that is not optimum for me

I have an extra tank I'm willing to drill the right size hole in and did buy myself a couple of the large bulb syringes like yours. I'm assuming the placement and tightness of the syringe tube into the water is the key, yes?

Where should the tube end up? I'll cut a small hole at first and widen as needed to get the depth and fit right.

Anxious for feedback and very much appreciate your wishing to help out like you did,

Let me know,

Jim W
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,737 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,316 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 700 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.