Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates
RE: Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates
Jim,
As noted in my first post, I have used a "SoClean" CPAP adapter reservoir top for this bulb setup.  Here is what the SoClean lid looks like when removed from the standard reservoir bottom.

The rubber bulb is a nice fit for the two-sided, clear plastic nipple that comes on the SoClean replacement lid.  The nipple on the outside of the lid holds the water bulb, and...

The nipple inside the lid attaches to a long, black rubber tube that extends into the reservoir bottom.  This is essential, because the water in the bulb is held there until the time during the night when the reservoir water dips below the end of the black tube, releasing the bulb water into the lower reservoir.

I suppose you can rig up a similar system using fish tank tubing.  I think the trick will be to drill a hole in an old reservoir lid and gluing the two-sided nipple in place.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you DFW,

Your new pic makes it clear now how you creatively added 30ml of water to your Soclean tank replacement lid with nothing other than the 30ml bulb syringe!
I'm pretty sure this is all the extra water I'll be needing to go the occasional 8 hours depending on mask leaks. 

Though I did unfortunately drill a 3/8" hole into my extra water chamber a few days ago before realizing that's not nearly big enough for the whole syringe tip to even hit water line, I did order some tapered silicone plugs (3/8" at smallest end) to "patch my mistake, but now may check out some fish tank fittings that may take me the rest of the way with some work.
 Any responses from folks with fish tanks welcomed on fittings and glue potentials.

Alternatively, I'd even be willing to purchase a Soclean replacement lid if they are available at a reasonable cost and just go with for the clean design.
Anyone know if Soclan offers a replacement lid seperate from the expensive complete system?

Last "sleep doc" told me "there is no reason the tank should ever run dry since it is a closed system" arragantly dismissing my complaint as user error. Dry mouth and burning plastic smell is certainly not conducive to sleep, and I'm one of those who has done due diligence for over a decade on my own and this group to make CPAP work.

Shared ideas mean everything to me and they seldom come from the folks "in charge of this racket".

J
Post Reply Post Reply
AMZ has replacement SoClean lids for 24 dollars. Ordered one, and look forward to some extra humidification time on my Resmed ASV unit.
J
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2023, 09:11 AM)Whitenoise Wrote: AMZ has replacement SoClean lids for 24 dollars. Ordered one, and look forward to some extra humidification time on my Resmed ASV unit.
J

Ah, good to see that Amazon has this part, (along with filters, too).  No need to construct your own.

The bulb syringe you get will not likely fit over the nipple on the lid initially.  This is a good thing.  Simply use a scissors to remove the tip, small cuts at a time, until the bulb fits over the nipple with some grip and holds in place.  Cut the bulb end at a slight angle with each cut to match the sloping angle of the SoClean lid, and it will fit perfectly.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bulb and Soclean works very well for me.
If no leaks adds perhaps 45 min or so more to my sleep potential with humidity.
If leaks still give me more time than I would have had.

J
Post Reply Post Reply
DFW, I LOVE what you did!  I live in Colorado and it is very dry here.  My tank often empties, so I have had to lower my tube temp and keep the humidity level low.  I would love to have more humidity and a warmer tube.  I imagine I should order the replacement lid made by SoClean rather than the other brands.  Would you advise that?

Your initial picture shows that the replacement lid you have has a little cap attached to the top of the lid, down below where the syringe goes into the machine.  Do you use this at all?  I don't see it on the replacement lids I see on Amazon.

Also, I am extremely un-mechanical.  It looks like your syringe goes straight into the hole.  Am I right to assume that it actually goes over the little part that sticks up from the lid?  Have you ever had leaking from it?  I'm guessing not or you would have mentioned it.  Also, did you buy the black tubing that usually goes in where SoClean goes into the tank, or does that come with the replacement lid, or is it not needed?

Anyway, Thanks!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
The SoClean lid is unmodified.  It includes the attachment point above the lid (a molded nipple on the cover for the bulb syringe) and the black hose underneath.  You must have this black hose, because it holds back the water in the bulb until the water in the chamber is used.  Then, the water in the bulb is allowed to flow into the chamber replenishing about 3 ounces of water. This is what provides additional time instead of running dry.

To repeat, all this is included with the SoClean parts. So make sure anything you see on Amazon has these parts included.
Post Reply Post Reply
DFW, am I correct that you use a 90ml (roughly 3 oz) bulb syringe?  Or do you use a larger one?
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, 3 ounces.  I think anything larger will weigh too much, falling off the top of the chamber when filled with water.
Post Reply Post Reply
here is another solution but it is $260 dollars and takes up a lot of space.
search for cspring.store
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,736 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,316 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 700 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.