Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extra large mask recommendations
Extra large mask recommendations
Hubby learned during the sleep study that his jaw drops forward and his mouth drops open when he is in REM sleep. He really likes his F&P Simplus mask but it will leak if his jaw drops open too far. I'm sure we can get an adjustable chin strap that will help with that.

Hubby has a prominent nose with a high bridge. He has been told that he cannot use a nasal pillow or mask. He breathes out of his nose when he can but mostly out of his mouth. A couple of masks that he's tried either hurt the bridge of his nose or squeeze it closed so he cannot breath through his nose at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions of masks we might look into?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extra large mask recommendations
Hmmm, Respironics makes extra large pillows for their Optilife masks, a mask that I used for several years. Just because he's been told he cannot use a nasal pillow or mask, he should try them out anyway. You never know what will or will not work unless you try it for yourself. There used to be a website that detailed how to determine the size pillow you needed; but it's disappeared. From what you've said, your husband needs to find a mask where the hose attaches from the bottom or the front thus not putting any pressure on his nose from above.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 10:16 AM)MastiffMom Wrote: Hubby has a prominent nose with a high bridge. He has been told that he cannot use a nasal pillow or mask.

That sounds really strange.

This nasal pillow mask should fit nearly anybody

If he needs a chin strap, [commercial DME link removed per Apnea Board rules] has been working beautifully (and also replaces the head gear needed for the above nasal pillow mask.

You might have encountered a case of "we don't sell anything that would work so it doesn't exist", which is quite common with DMEs.

Terry

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I should have been more specific. He was told by the RT not to use a nasal pillow or mask because his sinuses are constricted. The dr. gave him a sample for a nasal spray to reduce the inflammation which helps but he also works in a dirty/dusty environment so he always has crud in his sinuses. He may also have allergies because most nights when evening sets in he gets congested.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am the poster child for constricted sinuses. I spend most of my days not being able to breath through my nose because of that, and allergies. But in spite of what I was told, I breath very nicely all night with a pillows mask.

Try that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try Mirage Liberty™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Nasal Pillows With Headgear.
It doesn't come anywhere close to the bridge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MastiffMom,
Masks are trial and error. A mask that seems like it won't work just might b the ticket for your husband.
Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 11:00 AM)MastiffMom Wrote: Sorry, I should have been more specific. He was told by the RT not to use a nasal pillow or mask because his sinuses are constricted. The dr. gave him a sample for a nasal spray to reduce the inflammation which helps but he also works in a dirty/dusty environment so he always has crud in his sinuses. He may also have allergies because most nights when evening sets in he gets congested.

That sounds wrong on so many levels. I use a nasal pillow mask exactly because my sinuses are screwed up.

It inflates the nostrils a little from the inside and makes more room for air to pass.

Also, my ENT recommended NeilMed Saline Sinus Rinse. It's a huge help when you're clogged up from crud or allergies.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,206 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 157 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.