Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night tonight
First night tonight
Sleep-well Just heading in for my first night. My thoughts are that I feel like I can't exhale against the pressure. My lungs seem weak, I forget to breathe while sleeping. I know I should have done this 4 yrs ago. My ox avg is 82, I thought I just need ox. My ahi is 5, seems okay to me, but up to 18 episodes per hr per sleep study. Last week I choked terribly during the night, so hoping that I have my first deep, refreshing sleep in years tonight. Good night!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night tonight
G'day BabaPapMama, welcome to Apnea Board

Good luck on your first night! Like many first times, the first time with CPAP might not be all you imagined, but it shouldn't be too bad. Wink Exhaling against pressure is a common problem, which can be overcome by increasing the EPR or Flex setting on your machine. After a while you get used to it and it's not a problem any more.

Take things slowly, a step at a time and don't expect instant miracles. Soon enough you will feel the benefits and sleeping with the hose will become second nature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I am also about to step into a new world and hopefully restful nights.

WOOHOO.

Sleep-wellSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The first few nights can be a challenge. The pressure is actually slight, but your perception of it and breathing out against it might suggest otherwise. Relax, try to not concentrate on it, and don't make any rash decisions. The body and mind are good at adapting if you let them.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck to both of you! I found exhaling difficult at first, too, so I would put the mask on and concentrate on breathing, as if doing it for meditation purposes. Sometimes I got an almost panicky feeling but forced myself to continue to breathe regularly and after a few minutes it became effortless. I remember doing that for several weeks. Now I don't even need the ramp feature anymore on most nights.
Also, I found that I don't get as much sleep as I used to. It was a new (and sometimes annoying) thing for me to lay awake at night, yet even with the fewer hours of sleep I'm still a lot more rested in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BabaPapMama,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

I hope your first night of CPAP therapy went well, and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,211 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 895 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad [CPAP] Need help tonight Chavonda67 1 431 11-01-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Came home to a surprise tonight! speed3914 7 1,237 09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: factor
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 821 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Pressure] Titration study last night - Recommended settings for tonight? trialNerror 5 787 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.