Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extreme Headaches.
Extreme Headaches.
Close to 2 yrs of Pp therapy and still having so many issues. Since my problems started a couple of yrs ago I have been encountering the Headache issues but of late they have gone almost unbearable (Last 3 weeks or so) every morning the pain starts on my face , where the FFM sits and then goes to the forehead and then the whole had. does stay pretty much the whole day and eases up in the evening .I have brought my Auto pressure down just to see if the high pressure was causing it. Not big difference. One thing I noticed that the AHI did not go up at all even at a pressure of 9. & even then the events were central instead of Obstructive.

Question is can CPAP pressure or a FFM mask trigger Headaches ?

I am going to go 2 night without the machine just to see if it will make any difference. Unfortunately my sleep doctor is useless and I have given up on him completely a few months ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extreme Headaches.
Hi Realtor 1,
Did you happen to get your diagnostic and titration sleep study reports of 5-7 pages each? Suggest you do if you haven't already.
What is the AHI breakdown of obstructive vs central? Pre Asv I got daily headaches.
Have you used an oximeter?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey real estate guy....

Those nasty pressure headaches can be caused by masks that are too tight, or a chinstrap that is too tight.

or even insufficient humidification.

or even weird sleep position, as in head position. Make sure the head of the bed is elevated some, and do not allow your chin to drop towards your chest.

So check that stuff and make sure you're good to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget that we apneacs get all the same medical problems that normal people do. It can get doubly complicated if the root cause is something else, but apnea or CPAP aggravates the symptoms.

You might try manual CPAP at a few pressures to see if that gives you some clues about what's going on. Higher or lower humidification might be worth experimenting with.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a wicked headache a few weeks ago. Someone here suggested I was dehydrated. So I drank more water and made sure my humidifier was topped up. It was a miracle! Now I make sure I drink more water. Haven't had it since.
Of course that could just be a coincidence. My 2 cents.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing to think about is do you have any allergies to pollen, dust, etc... I found that at first I had sinus headaches, but as the time went on, they went away. If you do have known allergies, I would also try changing the filters in the machine and see if that helps. Hydration also helps, but if you go to far, you will end up getting up several times during the night. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the tips.
So I slept without my machine last night for the first time since Aug 2013.
No Facial Pain in the morning, Still Slight Headaches but bearable.
Just feeling more Fatigued then usual.

Maybe, I am cured and don't need PAP therapy anymore. My treated apnea #'s are great as most of the nights i get 0 to a max of 2 Non Clear Apnea events. the Ahi sometimes go up to 1.5 but mostly beacuse of the Clear Airway events. Still never feel good and still encounter a lot of sleep problems , I am still waking up almost on hourly basis.

I have been playing with the Humidifier Settings & also the pressure settings without much help.

I am encountering some seasonal allergies but no major Sinus blockages just Itchy eyes & throat sometimes.

Will try to go without the Machine & Mask again for another 2 nughts to see , how I will feel.

Has anyone healed completely from Sleep Apnea like that. Maybe The Headaches are because I don't need the machine anymore but am still using it and the Air pressure is causing them.

I did lose about 80 lbs weight right after my initial issues but my Treated AHI with The Old Icon Machine used to be anywhere between 3 to 5 range. (Though the F& P machine was not capable of Differentiating between the Central & OSA.

I can also try it on a very low air settings with the mask to see if the Ahi goes up.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 02:04 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: Has anyone healed completely from Sleep Apnea like that. Maybe The Headaches are because I don't need the machine anymore but am still using it and the Air pressure is causing them.

In general, I wouldn't expect CPAP to cause headaches in someone who doesn't need CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps the headaches are from a whole different medical issue. Have you been to a doctor for your headaches, or do you just assume the headaches are from CPAP therapy?

I will say congrats. on your weight loss. Smile. It is not easy to lose weight, but the only way to really know if your are cured of sleep apnea is to have another test done. Find another sleep doctor if you have to, but this self trial thing of using CPAP, then not using it for a day or two makes no sense.

Why don't your download some graphs from SleepyHead, it sounds like you have a lot of Clear Airway or Centrals. You may not be on the correct machine.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you're using a ResMed - its a long shot but have you switched from a slimline tube to a normal/standard tube and not changed the setting on the machine?

I only ask since I did that last week and had a horrible transition - once realizing I needed to change the machine settings, it was fine. You'd think pressure is pressure and that an autoset would compensate but then again...

Realtor1 - I hope you find the resolution soon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 734 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 718 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92
  Low AHI still having extreme fatigue exchanged 2 586 11-15-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Extreme fatigue despite "low" (<5) AHI Uphold9887 38 3,408 08-23-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  High AHI, Extreme Fatigue, Cannot get CPAP or BiPap to work exchanged 2 600 04-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: exchanged
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 912 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.