Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Extreme leaks whenever I have an apnea...need suggestions
RE: Extreme leaks whenever I have an apnea...need suggestions
Thank you for your advice everyone, I am working hard to fix on fixing these leaks. I have gotten mask liners and a special CPAP pillow to try and stop the leaks I'm having, so I will let you know how they work when I use them for the first time tonight. I have a bit of a weirder question though. I woke up feeling horrible last night, so I checked my SD card and this showed up. Any idea why everything just..disappeared? It looks like I had a leak but there is nothing in the "leak" category. I know I didn't remove the mask, because I was asleep. You can see where I woke up a few minutes later feeling horrible in this screenshot, but what happened midway between 8:30 and 8:35? The machine looks like it just stopped, and everything dropped to 0, but it didn't detect an apnea or try to fix it. You can see midway between 840 and 845 where I woke up feeling terrible (where the leak starts). Any idea what this could be suggesting?
https://imgur.com/a/ouraQ
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your machine just didn't record to the SD card during that period. It happens though not very often.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the session information at the bottom of the left hand side of the screen when the summary information is showing did the smart start shut off the machine as the mask came of you face ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope this helps but i have been all over the place with masks & major leakage. Narrowed down to two masks currently with pressures of 19/13. Using resmed airtouch f20 and amara view ffm's. Have done damage to nose and gum areas.
Understanding that all faces have physical differences divided vertically....use a mirror to actually see when left & right are divided, i dry fit my masks. I blew and sucked when off the machine while covering the open holes until there were no leaks. I favored the lowest strap pressures possible. Next i pulled out a cloth tape measure and exactly adjusted ALL matching straps equally. At this point, with straps secure, i went on the machine and moved the mask around making micro adjustments (no strap changes) and have five days of wonderful sleep with zero facial pain. I will not change the straps until head gear is worn or needs replacement!!!!
I did this for each mask type BTW.
I need to add that i'm also using a soft cervical collar and hard dental appliance for the upper teeth....i'm finally happy with my system after 3 months of frustration and numerous iterations of adjustments!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, that would make sense that the machine shut off or didn't read the card. I don't have smart start enabled on my machine though, so I would assume it just didn't read the SD card. I'm sorry for asking so many questions here, I just don't want to bother the forums with multiple threads. I have one more quick question to ask though. I slept using the liners and special pillow last night and had a question about how sleepyhead reads for apneas. I took the machine off and left it running, then took the SD card out to read data about 10 minutes later. In that time, it says that I had a unclassified apnea. Is it possible for this machine to get confused if you take the mask off and then say that it's an apnea? https://imgur.com/a/zp0R2

Sorry for so many questions, I am just confused by this software. Is it possible for me taking the mask off and leaving it running to confuse the machine and make it think I had more apneas?

Also one more quick question. I have noticed quick a few apneas on my sleepyhead software that don't raise the pressure. Is there any reason for why this would occur? https://imgur.com/a/ni6fN It doesn't hit my max pressure, but the machine doesn't "up" my pressure to take care of them it seems like...
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine wasn't getting a breath back because you took your mask off. It sent a pressure pulse to test if it was an obstruction or not. Since it didn't find an obstruction it decided it was an unclassified event.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine does not raise pressure except for obstructive events including OA, H, and flow limit. The UA events could be central so pressure is not increased. The leak rate is too high when these events occur to allow the machine to differentiate the apena type, so it keeps pressure steady.

On future charts, please be sure to minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle on the left side of the date line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
what is your sleeping position
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.