Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Eye pressure and full face masks
RE: [split] Eye pressure and full face masks
(07-17-2014, 06:44 PM)Lukie Wrote: My eye pressures have gone up on cpap from 22/23 to 26/28 borderline glaucoma.

Lukie, from your profile it looks like that's not with a TFM like the FitLife. It also sounds like it's not uncommon either...some of the studies noted the same thing (whilst others cite the higher blood pressure often associated with untreated OSA for the exact same thing). It just seems like it's a "darned if you do and darned if you don't" thing when it comes to higher intra-occular pressures with OSA.

The human body is a wonderfully complex and frustrating piece of equipment that doesn't come with a Haynes or Chilton manual Sad

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies! I would have gotten back here earlier, I had the setting to email me immediately when someone replied but I didn't receive anything.

The reason I ask is I have a FFM (Quattro FX) but it seems to leak right below my eyes causing major redness and soreness. My leak score (via S9 - just got it yesterday) is 100! Not good, I know.

My doctor and therapist are refusing to even consider the TFM because of my high pressures (17/21). They say the higher pressures will cause eye problems, although they don't elaborate on which problems, and basically told me yesterday that I would have to make the Quattro FX work for me or buy my own mask.

I've research what I could on the 'Net and couldn't find any instances of TFM and eye pressure problems.

BTW..where can I sell my S8? Not needed anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that your doctor and therapist may be giving you a wild a***d guess (WAG the less knowledgeable version of a SWAG). The person to ask is an ophthalmologist. They may be being overly cautious due to lack of precise knowledge and avoidance of possible lawsuits.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Eye pressure and full face masks
I originally thought these concerns were a bit overblown. The pressure on the front part of the eyeball may not matter that much because, in some sense, the outside pressure goes up and the inside pressure would probably sort of track that pressure.

However, I realized that the damage from glaucoma comes at the back of the eye in the retina. The retina has the intraocular pressure on one side and the internal body pressure (blood and other tissue) on the other side. Basically, if you press on the front of the eye, the back of the eye presses against the retina.

A total face mask would probably increase the effective intraocular pressure in therms of the retina during usage. This would NOT show up on a glaucoma/intraoccular pressure test once the mask is removed. Also, the pressure of CPAP is about the same as normal intraocular pressure, so, in some sense, it could double your intraocular pressure.

Glaucoma's not that well understood, but it seems to me that the effective pressure increase on the retina during TFM usage might be a legitimate concern.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 09:45 AM)tattoohead Wrote: The reason I ask is I have a FFM (Quattro FX) but it seems to leak right below my eyes causing major redness and soreness. My leak score (via S9 - just got it yesterday) is 100! Not good, I know.

When using the ResMed Quattro FX or the ResMed Airfit F10, I suggest using a mask liner.

For me the mask liner completely eliminates bothersome leaking around the eyes. I use RemZzz but plan to make my own in future.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you talking about leakage that goes into the eyes ar leakage that comes out of the tear ducts?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm talking about leakage of the mask around the bridge of my nose that goes into my eyes while I'm sleeping. Hurts like heck when I first wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 08:29 PM)vsheline Wrote: When using the ResMed Quattro FX or the ResMed Airfit F10, I suggest using a mask liner.

For me the mask liner completely eliminates bothersome leaking around the eyes. I use RemZzz but plan to make my own in future.

Wow! Do mask liners really help that much? I see them on eBay for $32 for 30ct. That seems like a lot of clams. How could something made from cloth prevent leaks?

It would seem to me that to prevent leaks, you'd have to get something sticky. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 10:20 PM)tattoohead Wrote: [quote='vsheline' pid='76701' dateline='1405819758']

Wow! Do mask liners really help that much? I see them on eBay for $32 for 30ct. That seems like a lot of clams. How could something made from cloth prevent leaks?

The cloth material completely stops raspberries (also known as face burps or face f*rts).

The amount of air which softly leaks through the cloth material is very minor, softer and not very noticeable.

The problem with mask liners is they tend to touch the eye lashes, which is bothersome. But careful and gentile pulling on the liner to pull or fold it a little away from the eyelashes and toward the bridge of the nose is enough to keep the liner from touching my eye lashes.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 10:20 PM)tattoohead Wrote:
(07-19-2014, 08:29 PM)vsheline Wrote: When using the ResMed Quattro FX or the ResMed Airfit F10, I suggest using a mask liner.

It would seem to me that to prevent leaks, you'd have to get something sticky. Dont-know

Hi tattoohead,
As a mouth-breather, I started PAP therapy this January using a ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM. Initially, my pressure was going fairly high, up around the Max setting (first 14, then 20). Obviously, the higher pressures will worsen the leaks. To control the leaks, I tried a variety of methods with the Mirage Quattro, ending up by cinching it pretty tight, more than was comfortable. The leaks I hated the worst were near the bridge of my nose, right by my eyes.

Two things have happened to improve the situation: I discovered that if I avoid sleeping on my back, my AHI and pressures decreased substantially. My machine is still set for a range of 10 - 20, but the pressure rarely exceeds 15. Some nights, the max is as low as 13. My AHI is consistently averaging less than 1.0, where before it was a struggle to get below 10. The second thing, I finally gave up on the Mirage, and have now switched to a F&P Simplus, and it is MUCH more comfortable. It has very low leakage most of the time. I have seen a few nights where all four leak numbers were 0.0!

I recently started experimenting with Mask liners, first the Remzzz, now a Pad-A-Cheek. For me, the mask liner helps absorb skin oil and moisture, which improves the sealing. It also acts like a form of diffuser, so any minor leakage (especially around the eyes) seems to be more gentle, not like an annoying stream. With the Remzzzs. I have been able to use them for as much as 4 nights. I have run some thru the laundry (in a mesh bag), and am now trying the laundered ones - so far so good.

As far as expense, I found the Remzzzs for about $25 for a 30-pack w/ free shipping. If I can average 5 uses each, that would reduce the expense to less than 20 cents per day - quite tolerable.

I also bought a Pad-A-Cheek liner for the Simplus, and I'm trying that as wll. It seems to have slightly more leakage than the Remzzzs, but still very low. Most nights, my median leak in Sleepyhead is 0.0, and the 95% leak is less than 5.

Obviously everyone's face is different, but I would recommend a trial of the Simplus when you are due for a new mask - the difference from the Mirage was very significant. I would also recommend trying the mask liners. The Remzzz people will send you a trial package for free to see how it works for you.

Good luck . . .
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,579 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 341 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 693 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.