Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Eye puffiness as a result of cpap
Eye puffiness as a result of cpap
Hi folks and HAPPY NEW YEAR
I've been on the CPAP machine since 2007.
Ever since then, I've gotten HUGE bags under my eyes. (puffiness).

My sleep Doctor says he's never seen a case this severe and said he would discuss it with his team and took several pictures of it.

Anyone else have/had this Problem?

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Eye puffiness as a result of cpap
Do you rub your eyes a lot? If so, this might be dry eyes from mask air venting towards or near your eyes.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a newbie here and I am having the same issue...and I am only 6 nites into starting my therapy!  I have been searching threads and have not found a definitive answer.  To make things worse, I happened to have a plastic surgeon's appt. yesterday (totally unrelated) and when the dr. came in, she grasped my face in her hands and said "what shall we do about those eyes!"  Ughh!
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a cool compress on the eyes in the morning to see if that helps?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure air is not venting from your mask to your eyes.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
brand new and same deal, big puffy eye bags in the morning.  My google fu indicates that the cpap can cause leakage of lymph into the undereye area.  I have a spoon in the freezer I am using in the morning to help disperse the fluid.  Kind of a drag--I feel like it has aged me.  Of course I am happy about the sleeping and not dying part, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
While my wife isn't on CPAP, yet, her cornea doc asked if she had sleep apnea due to the way her eyelids behaved when he was moving them while examining her corneas. He explained that people's eyelids on those with SA have a tendency to be too elastic and not do enough to protect the eye. We have found out most of my wife's post cataract surgery issues have been the result of dry eye and she is now under treatment for it.

She was supposed to have a sleep study several months ago and we had to delay it because of the cataract surgery. Sleep lab said she needed at least 2 months post surgery before she could have the study. Now, they won't accept the referral, even though we had already submitted it to them, because it is more than 6 months old. So we are back to square one and having to redo the process. I think we will be talking to our regular GP instead of her cardiologist to get the referral as our GP has the cardo doc's report. 

Just goes to show it is always something.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I read where one cpapuser uses a spoon to release the fluid from her under eyes, can you explain what you do? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2017, 10:36 PM)Kjlittle61 Wrote: I read where one cpapuser uses a spoon to release the fluid from her under eyes, can you explain what you do? Thanks

Put two spoons in the freezer, overnight
In the morning, be sure to FIRST envelop them in a soft tissue, and then place the spoons under your eyes. Be sure to avoid direct contact between the skin and the spoons...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,030 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Treatment] Review of OSCAR Result wasvsdal 7 664 10-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Pressure] Many Settings - Same Result - OSCAR Detectives take a look? BionicBreather 16 1,780 10-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
Angry Puffiness and Swelling readyforsleep 7 1,844 09-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: SleepyGal2
  [Equipment] Will medicare pay for my oxygen condenser based on this result? ThinMountainAir 5 910 08-29-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: newb
Question [Diagnosis] Help me read my CPAP Study Result YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 556 06-22-2022, 02:22 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
  [Diagnosis] A bit lost after WatchPat result Hms123 39 4,365 10-07-2021, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Hms123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.