Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa.
RE: Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa.
(04-12-2024, 10:12 AM)icipher Wrote: I discussed these results with a cardiologist and he said that sleeping on the left side can put extra stress on the heart and often causes it to compress a bit against the wall of your chest.  When I sleep on my right side, this problem is nonexistent. 

Just my anecdotal experience.

I have tried to do a systematic search on this subject. Oh boy, what a mess I found. First, you must ignore the TikTok and YouTube academies; second, omit the spiritual advice. Then, you will be left with very few scientific studies.

My summaries of the filtered findings: 
1) You should sleep on your left side if you have no heart condition for several medical reasons.   
2) You should sleep on your right side if you have some heart condition. For example, you will reduce the myocardial infarction rate in this position. What is more, "The rate of nightmare sufferers was significantly higher in left-side sleepers (40.9%) than in right-side sleepers (14.6%). Relief-safety was more common among right-side sleepers than the others."
3) If you are elderly, you tend to sleep on your right, probably because the elderly population is more prone to heart issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2024, 08:38 PM)G. Szabo Wrote: I have tried to do a systematic search on this subject. Oh boy, what a mess I found. First, you must ignore the TikTok and YouTube academies; second, omit the spiritual advice. Then, you will be left with very few scientific studies.

My summaries of the filtered findings: 
1) You should sleep on your left side if you have no heart condition for several medical reasons.   
2) You should sleep on your right side if you have some heart condition. For example, you will reduce the myocardial infarction rate in this position. What is more, "The rate of nightmare sufferers was significantly higher in left-side sleepers (40.9%) than in right-side sleepers (14.6%). Relief-safety was more common among right-side sleepers than the others."
3) If you are elderly, you tend to sleep on your right, probably because the elderly population is more prone to heart issues.

Interesting. I've had several cardiac workups and everything points to my heart being very healthy. I went into mychart to look at the last message my cardiologist sent me after I complained of irregular heartbeat and sent him the ECG graphs when sleeping on my left side, below is his exact response:

"Rhythm strips show sinus rhythm with occasional PAC's. Is it common for palpitations to be more symptomatic when laying on your left side - the heart is pushed up against the diaphragm and irregularity can be more symptomatic - not a concerning finding."
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='510704' dateline='1713205514']
"Rhythm strips show sinus rhythm with occasional PAC's. Is it common for palpitations to be more symptomatic when laying on your left side - the heart is pushed up against the diaphragm and irregularity can be more symptomatic - not a concerning finding."
[/quote]

Indeed. A detailed medical report exists on the correlation between ECG characteristics and left-side sleep. The study observed the heart position and shape by MRI when the patient was on the left, right, and back. It found that only the left side position significantly affected the heart position and shape, and the ECG changed accordingly. The study did not claim that it could be a health risk for healthy patients;  it only argued that ECG can be used to identify sleeping positions.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is interesting. Due to my chemo and radiation therapy, I have to go through an annual assessment of my heart function, they among other things, take sonograms of my heart while flat on my back, then while lying on my left side. I will have to inquire about that. They have never had a right side scan, it may be related to the above listed reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2024, 06:29 PM)UnicornRider Wrote:  They have never had a right side scan, it may be related to the above listed reasons.

Correct, there is no ECG difference between the back-side and right-side positions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 9 260 Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 108 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 224 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,565 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 96 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,714 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 364 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.