Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nose Bruising
Nose Bruising
I've been using the AirTouch F 20 with Memory Foam for the past week and have developed a blister on the bridge of my nose.  I must be doing something wrong.  Any ideas as to how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Joel
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nose Bruising
I was using an AirFit F20 since beginning sleep apnea therapy. About a month or so ago, I too, developed a blister on the right side of my nose, due to contact irritation.

I knew exactly what caused it, and knew that it would self-correct. I also had an irritated spot on the side of my jaw, from where the mask strap was rubbing. Both healed within a few days. 

Not sure how long you've been on therapy, but for me, it's been about 7 months now. Chances are, anything that makes constant contact with your skin, will result in some form of an irritation. My skin adapted and hasn't been an issue since.

I'm now using and just completed my 2nd night with a ResMed AirFit F30 mask /cushion. BIG improvement! No more nose irritations. It does though, feel much more tight against the area surrounding my mouth. I do have a mustache and I seriously doubt that the mask cushion will cause any irritation above my upper lip. So far, no irritation under my lip. 

I guess what I'm trying to say in a round-about-way, is that, whatever doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger.  Bigwink

Blisters will come & go. But, it's only a temporary thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
There are mask liners, if you suspect it to be a reaction to the mask itself, rather than pressure irritation. Or maybe a different mask is in order.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
When I used a full face mask I used to get irritation on the bridge of my nose too.  I used a silicone pad inside the part of my mask that makes contact
with the bridge of my nose and it worked quite well.  You have to clean them just like the rest of your equipment and replace them periodically, but they
remove the irritation and the bridge of the nose headache effect.  The one I used was called a "boomerang" nose pad, but there are other manufacturers too.
 If you do a search you are likely to find them on major online retailers that I can't mention here per forum guidelines.  Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
what a great idea! thank you so much
Post Reply Post Reply
My dad used a nasal mask and had what started out as a bruise that eventually broke open the bridge of his nose and caused a sore. Still has the scar. Switched to nasal pillows after that. I wouldn’t prescribe to what makes you stronger as a theory to live by...because blisters can jack up your face permanently. Not unless your aspiration is to be a super villain.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best FFM I've found to fit my face is the F20 - from the start I had the same problems and run it with the top straps quite loos (just tight enough to prevent it blowing in eyes under full pressure) but with the bottom straps really cranked down. I find pulling them in tight prevents the mask from moving on my face during the night and thus prevents leaks

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.