Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Brevida piliiow mask
RE: F&P Brevida piliiow mask
Just ordered one of these, it will be interesting to see if it seals on my nose and stays in one place most of the night....
well, trying new stuff keeps me out of trouble...mostly Smile

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I just posted a review on limited experience with the mask in the review section. Only a few nights use but really like what I have experienced.
Post Reply Post Reply
deleted duplicate post
Post Reply Post Reply
Got an email these are now available from supplier 14.  Couldn't resist . . .  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Pilairo Q for a few years with success. The Brevida interested me as it looks like an improved version of the Pilairo Q.
I took a trial one for the last week. Just went to the sleep centre today to review the data and decide what to do (spoiler: I'm staying with the Pilairo).

There are things that I like about it over the Pilairo:
- longer, light short hose
- washable permanent diffuser filter
- better headgear.

However, I found the performance lacking in comparison.
- my API was good and about the same, but I often woke up tired and headachy
- it seemed quieter at the mask itself, but for some reason it made my machine much noisier (S9).
- my leaks were higher
- my wife said something about it was louder - either me/my breathing, the machine, the mask or some combination
- if I woke up during the night or before my alarm (often seem to wake up about 1 hour before), I had trouble getting back to sleep. I found that my breathing sensations were different and unpleasant. I felt I had to work at inhaling, but my exhaling was too quick and couldn't even do a slow one - note that I use rythmic breathing to help me get to sleep.

The improvements were nice, but the performance is what counts, so I'm not switching to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Brevida last night for the first time. I lasted about a half hour with it than had to switch back to my P10.

The problem I had was air being forced out of my mouth and swallowing air. Never had this problem with any other mask.

Had a hard time trying to exhale and I think this caused the air to back up into my mouth and stomach.

Removed the diffuser filter and could breath a little easier but the stream of air coming was pretty strong. Much more so than a P10.

Also I actually think I think the headgear on the P10 is more comfortable than the Brevida.

YMMV
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've used mine for 3 nights now.
Slightly more AVERAGE leakage than the P10, but it is consistently low. With the P10, my pillow would frequently push it out of position and I'd get pretty significant leakage.

Oh ya... for the last 3 nights, AHI=0!

Comfort wise, it's between the P10 and Wisp. It's a bit more "confining" than the P10, but it doesn't apply pressure to the bridge, which tends to increase my congestion.
I'm very happy with it.

For me, masks have been like CCW holsters... I always go back to the same one after trying a new one, but I think the Brevida is going to be my new regular.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
[To moderators: I just realized that I should have added this to the Brevida thread in the Mask Reviews forum instead. Feel free to move it there if you want.]

A Brevida success story:

I have just increased my overall grade for the Brevida from B to A.  I think that's because I've got used to it over the last few weeks to the point where I'm fully comfortable with it and take it for granted, also because I woke up feeling rested, which is enough to put anyone (and especially a hosehead) in a good mood.

Objectively, I'm managing to keep the mask on for a full 8 hours per night now, and I'm seeing AHIs under 5.  Last night's was 1.6, which I think is a personal best so far.

So I highly recommend this mask.  I'll repeat my (and other people's) advice to be sure to get the package that includes all of the cushion/pillow sizes, whether you're getting the mask via your insurance or whether you're buying it yourself.  It's obvious that with all of these cushion/pillow masks regardless of manufacturer, the correct choice of size is often counter-intuitive, and you really have to experiment.

Just for fun, here is the Brevida compared to the Dreamwear, using my own rating system with five criteria.  The letter grades A through D and F are equivalent to stars of five down to one.

I see that the BBcode [table] element is not available on this board (why is this? ... discuss) and of course merely using a monospaced font doesn't honor the spacing, so here's a supposed code fragment, heh.  Let's see how this compiles ...

Code:
                       Brevida  DW cushion  DW gel-pil
                       -------  ----------  ----------
nosepiece comfort         B         A           C
nosepiece seal            B         D           B
quietness                 A         F           F
headgear ease of use      A         B           B
headgear stability        B         C           C

My Dreamwear has been shelved.  I still plan to buy an Airfit P10 and see whether I prefer that to the Brevida, or OTOH whether I happen to be in the minority of P10 users who end up with sore nostrils (what fun!).  But that can wait a month or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Brevida but used it only a few nights. My main problem is tat the headgear is too large and it only comes in one size (my DME checked),
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2018, 11:42 AM)SideSleeper Wrote: I have a Brevida but used it only a few nights.  My main problem is tat the headgear is too large and it only comes in one size (my DME checked),

??? That doesn't make any sense to me. The Brevida's headgear consists of a single strap with a velcro closure on each side (plus quick-release hooks), and the softer part of the velcro goes all the way back: on both left and right, the velcro run that you can stick the pad to is about eight inches long. Were you maybe using an early version of the design that didn't have that?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,798 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
  Moisture with Brevida Nasal Pillows Columbiabill 2 385 12-26-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Leaks with Brevida pillow mask Ticman1 5 3,307 09-13-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Nasal Pillow Sizing F&P Brevida Columbiabill 0 473 09-09-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Adaptor to fix a Evora headgear on a Brevida mask BeauPetitNez 3 1,043 03-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Nickman111
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,310 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.