Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Flexi-fit 431
F&P Flexi-fit 431
After settling on Quattro FX in September of 2014, with chinstrap, I have tried to do away with chinstrap, with no success. I just bought the Flexi-fit 431, because it seals under chin, and does away with the need for the strap. That part seemed to work. But the straps on top, with the brace, and bottom do not stop leaks into the eyes. Too loose, they leak all over when I move my face, within the mask. Too tight, and the mask really hurts my nose bridge, and still does not get rid of the leaks on top. No just right to be found. Thought of the gel/silicone pads, but from reading, they do not seem to stay in place, or cause more leaks. Last night, I put a Band-Aid with a piece of gauze under it. Not fun pulling it off, either... Although my nose did not hurt this morning, so much, had more Large Leaks,(62), than I have ever had. So, if I am resigned to a chin strap, I may as well try either a nasal mask, or a pillow. Tried a Mirage Liberty initially, but when I put it on, I was pretty sure I knew what it felt to be a basketball, with the nose pillow part of that mask. I cannot return the Flexi-fit, but online supply will give me credit of $20 on another mask they sell. That mask was one of a few they did not offer 30 day return policy. I do not want the forehead piece. I try to sleep on my side, with a regular pillow, so I would like a mask that can stay put. Have thought of the Wisp, as a possibility, but am open to any suggestions at this point. Maybe since I am more adapted to therapy, and max pressure has dropped, a pillow mask can be tolerated. Any help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Flexi-fit 431
I do extremely well with the Resmed P10 and a chinstrap. So well that I have disposed of everything else that I had been accumulating. For the chinstrap, I use a very simple single band strap with a cup for the chin. Resmed has one as does Carefusion. Just remember with the chinstrap it's not about "forcing" your mouth to stay shut, it's about "encouraging" by making it easier for the jaw to stay forward. I use the chinstrap under the P10 so that when I get up in the night I can simply take off the mask and leave the chinstrap alone. Also it helps to keep the P10 where it belongs, and the P10 helps keep the chinstrap where it belongs, and all together the bunch of them help keep me where I belong. Symbiosis. How nice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi saltydawg2,
Since you have dropped your pressure to 10, you might be able to use a pillows mask. I like the P10, (even the headgear, Ha-Ha,) it works very well for me.
Good luck with finding a mask that works just right for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish. Saw your review of Wisp on online supply site. Actually, my min is 10.6 to 14 max. Still, nice not having to deal with 20 max, as first started with auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 11:48 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I do extremely well with the Resmed P10 and a chinstrap. So well that I have disposed of everything else that I had been accumulating. For the chinstrap, I use a very simple single band strap with a cup for the chin. Resmed has one as does Carefusion. Just remember with the chinstrap it's not about "forcing" your mouth to stay shut, it's about "encouraging" by making it easier for the jaw to stay forward. I use the chinstrap under the P10 so that when I get up in the night I can simply take off the mask and leave the chinstrap alone. Also it helps to keep the P10 where it belongs, and the P10 helps keep the chinstrap where it belongs, and all together the bunch of them help keep me where I belong. Symbiosis. How nice.
Would you have to use the small flex hose? I use Climate line hose, and not sure how that would work with an extension.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my search for a full face mask, the Flexi-Fit 432 was next on my list before Ghost talked me into trying the Simplus instead. I liked the idea of the chin cup and the foam. My problem with any mask that covers the nose is leakage at the eyes. Even the Simplus hasn't fully sealed there.

If you are using a FFM because you breathe through your mouth at night, then a nasal mask and or pillows at that pressure range should work for you since you are already used to the chin strap. I disagree with Retired_Guy in what the chin strap is for, however. It is to help keep the mouth shut. If it is cupping the chin, I don't see how it can be pulling it forward or encouraging it to fall forward. But he has different facial structure than I do so his experience is different that mine I suppose. Some people who breathe through their mouth at night and wear a chin strap can eventually stop wearing the chin strap because they have "trained" their mouth to stay closed.

As to which mask or pillow to try next, there's a lot out there. The Liberty is not a good example of what a nasal pillow is like! I tried one once and it was awful. If leaking at the eyes is a major problem for you, nasal masks may not work. You may have to go with pillows. The P10 is popular (but the headgear is so very stoopid). The Wisp, Nuance, and Swift (can't recall which version of the Swift is the newest) are as well. I switch between the Simplus and the Nuance, depending on my mood. I like the Nuance because it is so lightweight, quiet, and gentle on my nose. It handles my high pressures just fine. I like the Simplus because it was the only FFM I tried that didn't leak all over the freakin' place because of my high pressures.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 02:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It handles my high pressures just fine. I like the Simplus because it was the only FFM I tried that didn't leak all over the freakin' place because of my high pressures.

I would like to, very politely and with all due respect (for your hammer Laugh-a-lot ) take exception to the high pressure part of that statement. I am at 20 cm/H2O all of the time and I have found 2 full face masks so far that do not leak at that pressure, the Mirage Quattro and the Simplus. 2 successes out of the 3 full face masks that I have tried is not too bad a success rate. All that I am trying to say is that it does not appear to me to be all because of the full face masks although they do present a little more of a challenge.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Paula02. I have been keeping up with your latest installments of your quest for FFM. I have been considering the Simplus, but am concerned about buying another mask with the forehead brace that I cannot use. I understand it actually does not come into contact with the forehead, but with the Flexi-Fit, it just barely touched my forehead, as well, not even compressing pad. I have a fairly high ridge above my brow, and then the forehead slopes back pretty quickly. If the "Floating Support" is to resolve having to crank it down to seal, I am all for it. The chin strap I use is the same that Retired Guy, uses, but I have to wear it really low, to clear the bottom of the FX. Any other mask that might drop further, without support for the chin would not work with strap. I would gladly trade my week old Flexi-fit, with all three of the mask sizes that come with it for something that could possibly work, without laying out another $100 to try out something that will not. Wisp, or P10 are in the running, as it stands,unless the Simplus would not leak. That is another mask that does not have 30 return policy! Thanks for all the help offered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 01:39 PM)saltydawg2 Wrote: Thanks, Trish. Saw your review of Wisp on online supply site. Actually, my min is 10.6 to 14 max. Still, nice not having to deal with 20 max, as first started with auto.
Hi saltydawg2,
I liked the Wisp ok, but the reason I switched to the AirFit P10 is, that The Wisp frames would fracture after a while, (I used the clear silicon frame, rather than the fabric frame.)
Anyway, with the P10, that hasn't happened so far.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Trish. You are tipping the scales in favor of P10.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.