Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P - ICON - for a newbie
RE: F&P - ICON - for a newbie
SensAwake is different from a "ramp" feature, in that it ramps up "higher" when your it notices your asleep - not at a set progression / ramp as soon as you turn it on.

There is a 'starting' pressure too for the sens-awake so make sure that is high enough so that when your just putting the mask on you dont get that 'starved' feeling just like with ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for describing SensAwake. I think I'll stick with the current settings tonight and try turning on SensAwake tomorrow night. Maud
Post Reply Post Reply
SensAwake is F&P's answer to exhale pressure relief. It uses an algorithm to determine if you're awake or not. If it senses that you are awake it will lower the pressure to make it easier for you to fall back asleep. When it senses from the flow patterns that you have fallen back asleep it will raise the pressure to your set therapeutic range. In theory it's not a bad idea, in practice it's not that great........the machine is guessing based on flow patterns and it's not always correct as to whether you are actually asleep or not.

Play with it and see what you think.....it is basically a patient comfort feature so mess with it and see how it works for you. I've used two Icon models extensively and I find that I like the machine better with SensAwake turned off. I would bet you that most long-timers on the Icon machines don't use the SensAwake feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks under pressure for a more indepth explanation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 09:21 PM)under pressure Wrote: SensAwake is F&P's answer to exhale pressure relief. It uses an algorithm to determine if you're awake or not. If it senses that you are awake it will lower the pressure to make it easier for you to fall back asleep. When it senses from the flow patterns that you have fallen back asleep it will raise the pressure to your set therapeutic range. In theory it's not a bad idea, in practice it's not that great........the machine is guessing based on flow patterns and it's not always correct as to whether you are actually asleep or not.

Play with it and see what you think.....it is basically a patient comfort feature so mess with it and see how it works for you. I've used two Icon models extensively and I find that I like the machine better with SensAwake turned off. I would bet you that most long-timers on the Icon machines don't use the SensAwake feature.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm thinking it is probably not critical for me to play with that at this point, because I struggle more with the sense of suffocation and therefore can't even use the ramp-up feature.

Last night was my third night with the Icon Auto, and I had something new happen...I woke up two or three times with my mouth open! I have never slept with my mouth open, in fact, I grind my teeth, so this surprised me.

Could the set pressure setting have caused this to happen? I am wondering if the set pressure is too high or too low. I haven't set up Sleepyhead yet, but in manually reviewing the results my AHI is less than 2. In fact, it's 1.1 and 1.2, and I understand that the goal is less than 5. So that makes me wonder if I should try lightening up the pressure or switching to Auto to see if my mouth will once again stay shut.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I would say one or two nights does not a trend make, and I don't know what your previous setup was. It may be pressure related, but I don't know........I think if I were experiencing mouth breathing problems I would look into a chin strap, or possibly using some tape to keep mouth closed. I myself use a full face mask so it's not an issue for me.

Might also consider running in auto mode with maybe 7 to 10 cm pressure range, maybe on auto your average pressure may be lower than your straight 9 cm cpap pressure. At any rate you should load up SleepyHead and see what's going on with the software.

Are you currently suffering from nasal congestion or a head cold that might make you mouth breath more than normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 08:13 PM)under pressure Wrote: Are you currently suffering from nasal congestion or a head cold that might make you mouth breath more than normal?

I'm in St. Louis and allergy season has begun. I am not congested, but last night I coughed a couple of times. It was a dry cough. But my nose was and is clear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2015, 05:18 AM)DruiD Wrote: Hi folks,
So had my visit to local supplier\consultant. Although not having any specific opinion about Respronics and Resmed - it was indicated they cause this consultant A LOT more hassle than the F&P Icon.

Which in layman's (non-DME) terms often means "I have a sweet deal with my F&P distributor, my margins are a lot better, and I can make a lot more money off of you."

I understand (not by personal experience) that F&P is a very good machine - there are some brands on the market that stand shoulder to shoulder with the two default "R" brands - but get in the habit of figuring out when a DME distributor is working in HIS best interests - which may or may not be in your best interest.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I am shopping around, in Australia the prices are shocking ($2500 - machine and mask) - and this is about average for all the upper end auto machines.
Also - AFAIK my consultant does not work for the vendors, and although could say anything, denies any commission from any supplier and is more than willing to sell any others - she was just expressing 'her' opinion and was very matter of fact about telling us that and also we should go home, lookup forums, do our own research before choosing a brand (and even a mask decision shouldnt be made based on the (small) selection she had.

All in all - I have lined up an appointment with a another sleep clinic that stocks and rents the ResMed units - so will most likely give them a trial as well.

I dont actually know if my results mean the F&P machine and F&P Eson mask is doing its job or not - but I do seem to be able to sleep with it and also feel refreshed etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, DruiD, what was your verdict on the Icon+ Premo? I got mine today and I'm not completely sold on it, yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 205 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 488 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.