Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Icon problem (and worthless DME)
F&P Icon problem (and worthless DME)
After 90 or so days on CPAP treatment and checking my data, the newness had worn off and I wasn't rushing to pop my SmartStick into my laptop to check stats from the night before any longer. So last Friday I thought it has been several days, actually it had been a week, and I'd put the SmartStick in from my Icon Auto and fire up Infosmart software to see what had been happening. It uploads the data from the stick and I click view reports and last night in the report is from a week ago. I repeat the process and same results. I put the SmartStick back into the Icon Auto and see the LCD show it's writing to the SmartStick. I put it back into the laptop, same results. I save everything on the SmartStick, format it, back into the Icon and then back into the laptop with the same results. No data for the last seven days.

Being fairly computer savy, I had previously downloaded the most recent source code for Sleepyhead, that does read the F&P Icon data to some extent, and compiled it. So I tried it the SmartStick with SleepyHead and same results. No data for the last seven days.

So on Tuesday, after the long holiday weekend, I took my machine and SmartStick to my DME to see if they can figure it out. Well the worthless people don't even have the software. They said they would be getting the software soon but they couldn't do anything but give me a new SmartStick.

So I leave with a new SmartStick and head to my sleep doctors. Of course I would arrive during the lunch hour and no one is there. I didn't want to wait because I'm pretty sure it's not the SmartStick but the machine that has a problem.

So that night after putting the new SmartStick in the Icon and then in my laptop, same results. The last seven days is like I've not used the machine but I have. OH, I forgot to say, that the data that you can retrieve from the screen on the Icon is current. It has shows data for the night and last seven nights on the appropriate screens.

I've not called the DME yet. I just know it's going to be a blood pressure raising experience. At least the machine is still working otherwise.

Also the SmartStick that the DME gave me was NOT new. It had data on it from another machine. Of course there is no information on it that identifies whose data it belongs to, but I'm sure this could easily be construed as a big HIPAA violation.

I know very few of you have an Icon but just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Icon problem (and worthless DME)
Sorry I don,t use the icon and hope an Icon user to chime, its just not many out there. On my S9 the sleep quality in the clinical menu should be set ON for the S9 to show efficacy data otherwise if set to usage it,ll only shows hours used also the SD card unlocked position and inserted into the S9 during sleep for resscan to shows high resolution data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 12:57 PM)TennDan Wrote: After 90 or so days on CPAP treatment and checking my data, the newness had worn off and I wasn't rushing to pop my SmartStick into my laptop to check stats from the night before any longer. So last Friday I thought it has been several days, actually it had been a week, and I'd put the SmartStick in from my Icon Auto and fire up Infosmart software to see what had been happening. It uploads the data from the stick and I click view reports and last night in the report is from a week ago. I repeat the process and same results. I put the SmartStick back into the Icon Auto and see the LCD show it's writing to the SmartStick. I put it back into the laptop, same results. I save everything on the SmartStick, format it, back into the Icon and then back into the laptop with the same results. No data for the last seven days.

Being fairly computer savy, I had previously downloaded the most recent source code for Sleepyhead, that does read the F&P Icon data to some extent, and compiled it. So I tried it the SmartStick with SleepyHead and same results. No data for the last seven days.

So on Tuesday, after the long holiday weekend, I took my machine and SmartStick to my DME to see if they can figure it out. Well the worthless people don't even have the software. They said they would be getting the software soon but they couldn't do anything but give me a new SmartStick.

So I leave with a new SmartStick and head to my sleep doctors. Of course I would arrive during the lunch hour and no one is there. I didn't want to wait because I'm pretty sure it's not the SmartStick but the machine that has a problem.

So that night after putting the new SmartStick in the Icon and then in my laptop, same results. The last seven days is like I've not used the machine but I have. OH, I forgot to say, that the data that you can retrieve from the screen on the Icon is current. It has shows data for the night and last seven nights on the appropriate screens.

I've not called the DME yet. I just know it's going to be a blood pressure raising experience. At least the machine is still working otherwise.

Also the SmartStick that the DME gave me was NOT new. It had data on it from another machine. Of course there is no information on it that identifies whose data it belongs to, but I'm sure this could easily be construed as a big HIPAA violation.

I know very few of you have an Icon but just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.

Hi Dan -
Sometimes if there is a lot of leak coming out of the mask it can cause your hours not to register. If you want to call Fisher & Paykel customer service instead of your DME, the number is 1-800-446-3908. I call them quite a bit and they are very helpful. Also you can ask if they will send you a new Smartstick. There is also a program you can get to download your own music onto the Smartstick for the alarm clock. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 12:57 PM)TennDan Wrote: I know very few of you have an Icon but just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.

I've had similar problems with my machine and SleepyHead software. They always have sorted themselves out after re-booting the machine, but there are a couple days for which I still cannot get all the data, and a few more sessions, too. All kinds of things can go wrong, it seems.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my Icon Auto and it's rather nice. I noticed there was no Sleep Data on the LCD screen this morning so I checked the smart stick and noticed it had 2 partitions. 128Mb each. The first partition I assume has the music on it and the second partition is unallocated according to Windows.
Any ideas on why this would be ???

I might have to return it to the sleep clinic to see if there is a problem ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi normie
Not many Icon users on this board its mainly S9 or System One. there,re some info about SmartStick and InfoSmart at "Private Files and Links - LINKS to Members-Only FILES". You've got an S9 listed in your profile, are you looking to replace with the Icon.
http://www.fphcare.com/osa/cpap-solution...amily.html
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk
I have been using the S9 for the past 12 months ( my S8 was doing strange things after 3 years of use ) and I have been very happy with it. Recently I had problems with swallowing air and I started to reduce the pressure which helped a lot and even at the lower pressures I wasn't having any more Apneas than usual. I thought maybe its time for a new sleep study but in my area that means giving you an autoset for a week to determine the correct pressure. I decided rather than go back to the doctors and jump through hoops to get another sleep study I would hire an S9 autoset and was told that Resmed were not providing S9's for that purpose but FP were. So I have a Icon Auto and in many ways I like it more than the S9.
I was surprised not to see my sleep data on the LCD screen this morning so I checked out the Smart Stick. Since Sleepyhead doesn't support FP yet I couldn't see what Apneas I had last night. Sleephead couldn't read the Smart Stick at all so I thought maybe something was wrong with it or I had not configured something ...

Still confused ....
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead is not compatible with Icon yet last time I heard that Mark was working on it. Ask your supplier why can not see sleep data on the LCD screen and for the software so you download the data on your computer or they can do it for you. btw are you just using APAP for titration so you can go back to your S9. May be something need to be turn on to see data on the screen, hope this Icon video would help
http://vimeo.com/20560260

Post Reply Post Reply
I will see my supplier on Monday and see if they can read the smartstick and I will also ask about the LCD display not showing the sleepdata.
My plan is to use the Icon for titration and continue with the S9 but there are some nice things about the Icon that I like so maybe I might consider buying the Icon but I will use it for the week and I then I can see which is best.

Thanks for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2012, 12:57 PM)TennDan Wrote: So that night after putting the new SmartStick in the Icon and then in my laptop, same results. The last seven days is like I've not used the machine but I have. OH, I forgot to say, that the data that you can retrieve from the screen on the Icon is current. It has shows data for the night and last seven nights on the appropriate screens.

[ … ]

YES. I got my original Icon in February 2012. I was able to get data off the machine every evening for the previous night (a new "day" starts at noon for the machine). I was recording hours used each night, AHI, leak, and 90% pressure, tapping all the numbers into Evernote on my iPhone. Every 30 days, I'd also record what the machine said the 30-day averages were. I kept this up from February to October 2012. I didn't take out the smart stick--just accessed data from the screen.

On October 4, it started giving me the exact same readings every night. This went on for a week, which I knew was wrong. I thought maybe the memory was full. But I had a follow-up appt. in November, so I didn't worry about it. On November 4, I checked the data (on screen) on a whim, and it appeared to be recording again. It did, however, show that non-recording period as "non-use" and that reflected in compliance percentage. In reality, the only night I didn't use it was in September when I had a bad cold.

When the clinic tried to access the data on November 5, at my appointment, they couldn't pull up any data since JUNE. By their readings, I hadn't used it in five months, and even they knew that was inaccurate.

I talked to the woman who orders (and returns) the machines, and she said she's seen this in quite a few Icons from last year. It was a manufacturer software problem and wouldn't record properly. Even a new stick wasn't the answer because the machine's internal memory isn't recording properly.

The answer was a new machine and a new smart stick. Apparently F&P have made some changes that are supposed to have fixed this problem. I've had it 5 nights now and am back to recording nightly data on Evernote. It turns out my collection of data was the only report they had from June - October, so they were happy I'd gone the extra step.

The only thing I'm noticing is the SensAwake either won't turn off (despite setting it to off), or it records events but doesn't actually change the pressure. But that's a different topic. :-)
Soferet [so- FEHR- et; Hebrew; feminine] noun: writer, author

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
—Ernest Hemingway

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,584 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,477 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.