Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Masks-Rainout/Flooding Problems
F&P Masks-Rainout/Flooding Problems
I know many people use F&P masks of all types successfully and I haven't noticed anyone mention the problem I have always had.

I love love love F&P masks, because they feel so comfortable - more than any other brand.  I have never been able to conquer the "being sprayed in the face like a water hose" issue after about an hour.  Not rainout, but the Great Flood. I have tried 3 of their nasal, 1 pillow, and 1 full face mask.  All of them do this, and did it with the Autosense 10 and now the Aircurve VAuto.

I even called the company, and they said they had not really heard of this, and I haven't seen this issue in reviews of the F&P masks - it's just all so weird.  Doesn't matter whether set to Auto with heated hose, or Manual as low as 1 - same issue - like watering flowers in your back yard with the hose turned all the way up.

Could it be possible that it is a size/leak issue?  I recently learned that my face is considered to work with "small" masks even though my head is large from taking steroids for many years.  The F&P masks I have are all standard/medium. But I don't feel a lot of leaking or anything with them - they feel like they seal better than any of the other brands, and they feel so very comfortable.

I would be so happy if I could figure out a way to use a F&P nasal mask without getting drowned starting in the 2nd hour. Anyone every experienced this and found a way to stop the flooding?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Masks-Rainout/Flooding Problems
Dose the hose feel warm? Maybe the hose is not working.So
Post Reply Post Reply
Dallas?  Do you sleep in an air-conditioned room that is very cold?  The room temperature might be overwhelming the machines ability to prevent condensation.  You could try a hose cosy to reduce that.

Otherwise, I'd suspect the hose of not heating (either from a defective hose or a defective machine), or the humidifier being defective and applying too much heat.  I've used the Simplus and use the Eson 2 now and I have gotten no more than a drop or two of water at worst.
Post Reply Post Reply
The room is 68-70 - not really that cold for nighttime.

I have tried multiple heated hoses/multiple humidity settings, and always have a hose cozy on the hoses as well.

I notice you have a Dreamstation - I tried that machine at one point and did not have the problem of rainout either.  I just couldn't adjust to the different algorithm.

This only has happened with the Autosense 10 and the Aircurve VAuto which have identical humidifiers.  It also never happened on the previous S9 Autoset.

But I see where many other people with the Autosense and the Aircurve seem to use F&P masks just fine.

So Strange.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, that is a reasonable temperature range.  I thought you might have been trying to re-create Alaska.   Big Grin

Given that and that you have tried a variety of hoses and machines and a hose cozy... well I am out of ideas.  That is just plain strange!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I am pretty new to treatment, about 4 weeks, but I was having a rough time with rainout for a while. I tried various things and what finally worked for me was a combination of things. I changed from Auto to a manual setting of 2, with a hose temperature of 82. That helped some, but I still had some drips. So I made hose cover for the short hose connecting the heated hose to the mask. You just have to be sure not to cover the vent! That finally took care of it. I also now have the hose so it rises from the machine and then comes down to my pillow. No more drips!

Hopefully, you can solve your problem--it's not a pleasant feeling to wake up like that! Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - yes, I have all the hose parts covered.  Part of my problem may be the temp - I have it set to 78 because I don't like the hot air.  I have tried Manual as low as 1 with the same result.  I don't know if the F&P masks are made with some sort of different plastic?  But it's still confusing why I can't get any to work and many others use them just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you don't like the warm temp but just for one night put the hose temp at 83 or 84. That should do it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Mercy - I don't know if I could stand it that hot - I like everything cold cold cold - I could live in a refrigerator.

Maybe one night I will try it for a little while and see if I can adjust.  I bet there are people that don't have their temp set that high and don't get the great flood.......grrr..........
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always run it with the humidifier shutoff. That would give you cold air to breath. Maybe use a room humidifier if you really need it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,867 30 minutes ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 313 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 212 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 211 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 385 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 482 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.