Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] F&P Pilairo Review
F&P Pilairo Review
I have been testing the F&P Pilairo for a week now and have a love hate relationship with it.  I think that this mask could be the best nasal pillows but it is not quite there yet but much better than any other pillows that I have tried.

The mask comprises of a frame which acts as a holder for nasal pillows. The pillows are held in place by a larger pillow that surrounds the nose and inflates to spread the pressure over the entire surface of the nose and to align the nasal pillows.  The mask almost does not need headgear except to stop the hose from pulling it off the face.  The mask is one size, which works very well as it inflates to adjust to most nose shapes.  The headgear is also currently one size, which is one of my major complaints with the mask.

I love the fit. I have a large nose that has been broken. This mask spreads the pressure over the entire nose.  The mask stays on properly no matter what position I toss and turn at night, even when the mask is in contact with my pillow.

I hate the one size fits some.  Not every head is the same size. I have a very large head and when you streach the elastic the pressure increases, and the mask is being crushed into my nose.  If I release the pressure slightly it is so comfortable.  An easy fix would be to have the head gear adjustable, possibly with a
Velcro section at the back of the head.  Others that I have talked to have the opposite, a small head, then the elastic does not supply quite enough pressure.  I have made the suggestion to F&P and received a nice reply.  I am planning to purchase one after the trial and make my own adjustments to the headgear.

A second minor issue is the noise. I have a pressure of 14 and I find that there is a slight whistle from the mask.  The noise occurs on breathing in.  I use an S9 with an epr of 2.  It may be the angle of the vent holes or a sharp edge that may be causing the noise. The noise can be reduced by repositioning the mask on the nose and may be partially caused by the pressure that the headgear is applying on the mask.  This adjustment does not cause the pillows to leak.

The mask has a short hose extension that has a lot of flexibility in it's connections but I find that it does not have a smooth action and tends to knot rather than swivel.  This is just a slight inconvenience and not a reason not to try the mask.

I feel that F&P will have a real winner here, right now it is for an average sized head. For the rest of us with larger and smaller heads, some adjustments to the head gear may be required.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Pilairo Review
Oldteddybear, I agree with your assessment! The addition of narrow velcro strips to the back of the head gear made it just right. If you snip the two stitches in the center of the larger encasing piece, it can be slid to the side allowing access to the center of the band. Because the band is knit fabric, be prepared to use either clear nail polish or a fabric glue on the cut ends. Once that dries, you are ready to stitch on your velcro strips. Fit to your face with the pillows inflated and slide the encasing piece back into the center. That was a bit of a tug for me because I cut the velcro almost exactly the width of the flattened band and didn't take into consideration how much space two thicknesses of velcro would consume. Good thing I'm not a carpenter! LOL!!

Suz
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a small head and the headband tension is so loose that the mask does not stay in place, which results in massive leakage. To not have the headband adjustable seems ridiculous. The only way this mask will work is if you sleep only on your back with your face pointed at the ceiling and never move. If you move your head, then the mask falls out of place. I will try the headband modification recommended by Suzjohnson or my wife said that she will try to make a headband with stronger elastic.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of people up here have tied knots in the headband as a quick fix. Another observation for large headed people... I have been waking up looking like a rabbit... whiskers from the pillows and a mark on the end of my nose where the mask supports itself. The only way for me to fix this would be to have the headband over my ears which is not comfortable. I am thinking of adding a second band to allow the support to be in the correct position.
Post Reply Post Reply
I initially thought that it was too loose - but I found that putting the mask on exactly according to the instruction method worked well for me. (ie one hand holding the middle of the sleeve at the back - just pulling it hard enough to slip the strap over the head...

I sleep on my side and this is by far the best mask I have used.

Of course others with higher pressure might have more trouble.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that my biggest problem is that I am an active sleeper because I turn frequently from side to side and flat on my stomach. This results in the mask being pushed out of place. I also think the elevation here in Colorado, 7400 ft (2256 m) is a factor. I recently did a trip to Texas and the results were much better at the lower elevation. I will be spending 5 weeks in Australia in Dec-Jan so I am anxious to see what results I get there (at a lower elevation).

(11-03-2012, 12:19 AM)Moriarty Wrote: I initially thought that it was too loose - but I found that putting the mask on exactly according to the instruction method worked well for me. (ie one hand holding the middle of the sleeve at the back - just pulling it hard enough to slip the strap over the head...

I sleep on my side and this is by far the best mask I have used.

Of course others with higher pressure might have more trouble.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2012, 11:21 AM)SWengr Wrote: I will be spending 5 weeks in Australia
enjoy your stay but make sure bring with you power plug adapter ... spare mask and cushions, hoses, filters and whatever else you might need ... prices here are rip-off

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2012, 02:31 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: I have been testing the F&P Pilairo for a week now and have a love hate relationship with it. I think that this mask could be the best nasal pillows but it is not quite there yet but much better than any other pillows that I have tried.

The mask comprises of a frame which acts as a holder for nasal pillows. The pillows are held in place by a larger pillow that surrounds the nose and inflates to spread the pressure over the entire surface of the nose and to align the nasal pillows. The mask almost does not need headgear except to stop the hose from pulling it off the face. The mask is one size, which works very well as it inflates to adjust to most nose shapes. The headgear is also currently one size, which is one of my major complaints with the mask.

I love the fit. I have a large nose that has been broken. This mask spreads the pressure over the entire nose. The mask stays on properly no matter what position I toss and turn at night, even when the mask is in contact with my pillow.

I hate the one size fits some. Not every head is the same size. I have a very large head and when you streach the elastic the pressure increases, and the mask is being crushed into my nose. If I release the pressure slightly it is so comfortable. An easy fix would be to have the head gear adjustable, possibly with a
Velcro section at the back of the head. Others that I have talked to have the opposite, a small head, then the elastic does not supply quite enough pressure. I have made the suggestion to F&P and received a nice reply. I am planning to purchase one after the trial and make my own adjustments to the headgear.

A second minor issue is the noise. I have a pressure of 14 and I find that there is a slight whistle from the mask. The noise occurs on breathing in. I use an S9 with an epr of 2. It may be the angle of the vent holes or a sharp edge that may be causing the noise. The noise can be reduced by repositioning the mask on the nose and may be partially caused by the pressure that the headgear is applying on the mask. This adjustment does not cause the pillows to leak.

The mask has a short hose extension that has a lot of flexibility in it's connections but I find that it does not have a smooth action and tends to knot rather than swivel. This is just a slight inconvenience and not a reason not to try the mask.

I feel that F&P will have a real winner here, right now it is for an average sized head. For the rest of us with larger and smaller heads, some adjustments to the head gear may be required.

You are right on Bear, the mask is so comfortable when I 1st put it on. I have small nostrils and it flared them out. They got really inflamed after 2 nights of use. Still searching for the best mask, but I would choose this one if the pillows were changeable to fit, and would be nice to have an adjustable strap. Other than that I believe I could overcome the hangups.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried this mask a couple of times....it pinches my big nose partially shut which makes it hard to breath after a while....
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the Pilario for about 6-8 months now and found that it is the best mask of any kind I have used in the 15 years I have been using a CPAP. I actually leave it on all night and after a minute don't even feel it on my face. I occasionally have to adjust it as it gets moved as I move in my sleep but is a minor inconvenience. It does have a couple of problems with long term use. The headband attachment clips are very flimsy, I managed to break one. Some electrical tape made a good temporary fix till I get it replaced. The headband loses its stretch after awhile also. The removable pillow over time gets a little loose and comes off easily, have to put it back on after each use and frequently it falls off at night and even blows off under pressure sometimes. It should come with some spare parts for what it costs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,147 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,832 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 12,921 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17
Wink [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Review/Comparison with DreamWear srlevine1 5 8,577 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Feedsack
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit F20 FF mask review StevesSp 6 4,680 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ragtopcircus
  [Product Review] New Dreamwear FFM Review April 7 2018 CZOscar 16 9,526 05-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Thumbsup [Product Review] Fisher & Paykel Pilairo nasal pillow mask aussie_sleepy 6 14,322 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.