Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Simplus Full Face Mask
F&P Simplus Full Face Mask
I have been using the Aitfir F20 for about three weeks now, my first three weeks of CPAP therapy).  While the AHI are now <5, the mask hurts the bridge of my nose. My DME sent me a F&P Simplus to try, but just trying it on indicates that the mask will irritate my forehead. The plastic strap holder pokes and digs into my skin because my forehead bones protrude. Any suggestions on how I can deal with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Simplus Full Face Mask
Two words: too tight!  You should be able to stick a finger or two behind the upper hard plastic piece.  If it is touching your forehead, it is way, way too tight.  Use the bottom straps to tighten as needed and the upper straps just to keep it in place.  These masks need to be loose enough that the seal can inflate and seal against the face.  Counter-intuitive as it may be, tightening it past this prevents it from working correctly.  Tighter is not better.  As loose as it can be without annoying / major leaks is where you want it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2017, 11:21 PM)chill Wrote: Two words: too tight!  You should be able to stick a finger or two behind the upper hard plastic piece.  If it is touching your forehead, it is way, way too tight.  Use the bottom straps to tighten as needed and the upper straps just to keep it in place.  These masks need to be loose enough that the seal can inflate and seal against the face.  Counter-intuitive as it may be, tightening it past this prevents it from working correctly.  Tighter is not better.  As loose as it can be without annoying / major leaks is where you want it.

This.    ^^^.

The upright shouldn't be touching your forehead
Post Reply Post Reply
I will disagree with you guys a little bit on the Simplus, although I do agree that it sounds like Williams may have it too tight. At my pressure and on my face I can't stick my fingers easily between my forehead and the stabilizer when I have it adjusted optimally for me. On the other hand I do not have it tight against my forehead. The Simplus needs to be worn lower on your nose that other FFMs.

With the F20, it sounds like you may be wearing the mask a little too low on your nose. This mask wants to be up tight against your brow. I have found that with some FFMs, wearing them low on the nose like for the Simplus can make the bridge of my nose raw and sensitive. Just moving the mask back up so that the top of the seal is against my brow correct that rawness and sensitivity. There is a post which lists a number of potential fixes for irritation of the nasal bridge at the following link. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid219764.

Good luck with your endeavors.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately due to my head size, I cannot loosen the straps anymore. They are already on the last possible setting in which the Velcro will still hold. To say that I am a big guy is an understatement: hat size 8.5, ring size 22. My DME thinks that these two masks are the only ones remotely close enough for me to wear. He contacted a few suppliers and they are also stumped. Am I just out of luck?

The problem with the F20 is that my brow protrudes extensively (google acromegaly brow ridge) so it doesn't quite fit right and becomes painful. I developed a massive sore which is why the Simplus was suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2017, 05:45 PM)Williams Wrote: Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately due to my head size, I cannot loosen the straps anymore. They are already on the last possible setting in which the Velcro will still hold. To say that I am a big guy is an understatement: hat size 8.5, ring size 22. My DME thinks that these two masks are the only ones remotely close enough for me to wear. He contacted a few suppliers and they are also stumped. Am I just out of luck?

The problem with the F20 is that my brow protrudes extensively (google acromegaly brow ridge) so it doesn't quite fit right and becomes painful. I developed a massive sore which is why the Simplus was suggested.

A fabric store to purchase some Velcro and allow a wider expansion.  Yopu will have to figure out how to but I'm confident it will work.
Before that can you, without straps, hold the mask on your face by hand comfortably while in sleeping position and without leaks? 

If not you definitely need a different mask.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My neighbor up here in the Northwest, Mr. Sasquatch, had the same problem. He now uses the Resmed P10 Nasal Pillows. He seems pretty pleased or so we hope.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla, I'm not sure if you think I'm lying, but I assure you that I'm not. I've dealt with the impact of acromegaly for several years and am now seeking help with the new sleep apnea diagnosis. Quite simply, very few items are made for people my size.

Bonjour, thanks for the suggestion of Velcro extensions. I will try to get some tomorrow and see if that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Williams,

Did you get the large size F20? If you need to make extensions, you need to get the double sided velcro. I did that with a soft neck brace that I wanted to try but came too small around the neck. As it turned out, the height was to great also

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Williams, No disrespect meant. Hope you find a fix to your mask problem. Actually I was thinking that nasal pillows would be easier to adjust. 
Still would have the strap problem but you could adapt a head strap and have less problems with leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 244 4 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 166 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 137 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,057 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 760 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.