Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Simplus Issue
F&P Simplus Issue
Thought I would post here while waiting for my medical supply store to open.

New CPAP user and I chose the F&P Simplus FFM. After 2-4 hours of use on a nightly basis, the mask (or lining) seem to loosen and makes a loud flapping (read farting) noise. Its loud enough that I wake up, move the mask around, pull it from my face to refit, but to no avail. Because I cant stop the noise, I take the mask off so I can at least sleep.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I doing something wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Simplus Issue
(05-25-2016, 10:52 AM)Big Poppa Puff Wrote: ... I chose the F&P Simplus FFM. After 2-4 hours of use on a nightly basis, the mask (or lining) seem to loosen and makes a loud flapping (read farting) noise. Its loud enough that I wake up, move the mask around, pull it from my face to refit, but to no avail. Because I cant stop the noise, I take the mask off so I can at least sleep.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I doing something wrong?

I had the same issue with the Simplus but I find it such a comfortable mask that I persevered. The two things that I found helped were

1. to make sure I had a really clean and dry face before masking up. I wash my face with a hypo-allergenic wash gel, but whatever will suit you

2. At my higher pressures, I found a mask liner invaluable. The leaks are probably the same intensity but they don't make that awful noise any more! and I don't wake up. Lots of posts about mask liners on the Board.

And welcome to the Board! - hope your CPAP experience is the best possible.

...................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as a xPAP user trying to help another xPAP user.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as medical advice.
If you have medical concerns I suggest you consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board!

Yep! Big Grin I don't know if my problem is yours, but I have oily skin. Wash your face with soap before you go to bed and if this happens in the night, get up and wash again. Or keep baby wipes or something similar next to your bed. The oils on the skin make the silicone seal slip and it can't hold pressure.

Another thing that can cause this is increases in pressure from an APAP machine and the straps not being tight enough for the higher pressure. But it looks like you are on a constant 15cm.

Also, the shape of your face changes over the night as you are lying down and muscles relax. I don't know what to do about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also keep wipes handy by the bedside. Use them to clean the part of the mask that makes contact with your skin. You can also use them to clean your face. Just make sure you don't use the type that contain lotions.

As your body adapts you will find that this becomes less of an issue.

Also, you might try tightening the straps just a bit.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this! I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a shot for the next couple of nights.

Also, is this something that tends to happen with all masks or just this particular one?
Post Reply Post Reply
There's nothing special with this mask, unless for some reason it's not fitting you well. It's very common for people to have to try out different masks until they find one that fits.

The Simplus comes in different sizes. If your chin slides inside the mask, try going down a size. The cushions (the part that makes contact with your face) is replaceable and your insurance likely covers a replacement monthly. I've found that after amonth or so they lose some of their elasticity and I have to tighten the straps a bit to compensate. I usually make them last a lot longer than a month.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the Simplus, but I do find that I have to re-adjust the straps during the night, and usually much tighter than the Simplus rep recommended when he demonstrated it. I end up with red crease marks on my cheeks, but no pain on the nose bridge like i experienced with my former mask,the mirage quattro.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Big Poppa Puff,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just curious,Did they fit you with the wrong sized cushion? You might check into that.
I wish you good luck in finding a mask that will work for you, this is the hardest part of this whole thing, so if, (after you have tried it for a bit,) you just can't get used to this mask, don't be shy about asking to try different ones 'till you find one that works well for you.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, and finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2016, 02:59 PM)nativedancer Wrote: I love the Simplus, but I do find that I have to re-adjust the straps during the night, and usually much tighter than the Simplus rep recommended when he demonstrated it. I end up with red crease marks on my cheeks, but no pain on the nose bridge like i experienced with my former mask,the mirage quattro.
Hi nativedancer,
Good to hear from you again.
I finally switch to the Sinplus mask and really like it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
That farting noise happens with many full face masks. It's air coming out of the mask in burps and/or so fast it is vibrating in the breeze. When I tried the Mirage Quattro, it was farting and making high pitched noises. Really romantic.

I now use liners because I have very oily skin. The liners help with leaks as well as keep the hot silicone off my skin.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 44 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 105 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.