Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle
F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle
I recently tried the Fisher & Paykel Vitera Full Face Mask.  The mask worked very well the first night.  I like how it is easy to adjust the mask in the event that you experience some leaking.  After using the mask the next night, I was awakened by my wife who said "Your mask is leaking really bad".  I could hear what I thought was a leak and felt around the seal of the cushion and could not detect any areas where it was leaking.  I then sort of isolated the sound and it appears that it is coming from either where the elbow connects to the mask OR from the vent at the front of the mask.  It almost sounds like a whistle.  I completely took apart the mask, reassembled it and still had the same problem.  I ended up putting on another type of mask (ResMed F20).  The following night, I tried again with the Vitera mask and sure enough, after about an hour of being asleep, the whistling sound woke me up!  This time it really sounded like it was coming from the vent area of the mask.  I did notice that there was a little bit of moisture inside of the mask, but nothing excessive.  The sound is such that I can't use the mask.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this.  Perhaps I have a defective mask?  My other thought was that perhaps the Vitera mask requires a lower humidity setting (maybe the moisture is causing the vent to whistle)?  I made sure that I was not overfilling the water tank because I know that can introduce moisture inside of the mask - that's not the issue..  I like that mask, but it is unwearable at this juncture.  Would appreciate any insight on the issue.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle
I started with the same mask and I couldn't stand the whistle. Also, it detached from the hose multiple times during the night and I ended up getting a different brand.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not noticed this whistling yet, maybe when I get more mileage on mine after a new machine I'll know more about it.

Do you use a heated hose? This may combat rainout if that's in fact what is making the sound. Also check the hose, elbow, and adapter connections just to be certain.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.  I do use a heated hose, so I don't think rainout is the issue.  It is somewhat "comforting" knowing that other folks have experienced this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had this problem once in awhile. I use a heated hose and found that my humidity setting was too high. Now I use the auto setting and it’s fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  Don't have access to my device right now, but will switch to Auto if it is not already.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got my Vitera a week ago, been using a Simplus.  I haven't noticed any noise on mine like you describe, if anything this mask has been quieter than the Simplus.  I think most noise from that came from the hose flapper or occasional mask leaks.  It sounds like I use less humidification and pressure than you, so...shrug

Only negative I've had is on the first night, it was killing the bridge of my nose.  The top was already as loose as it could be, so I loosened the sides more and that seems to have helped, unless it was just a "break-in" thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone have a solution to this? 
I have been using mine no problems for about 5 months then all the sudden the whistle(s) started. It seems to happen once the pressure gets above 10-11ish. I start at 9 and no problem, shortly later ( after Im back to sleep) it starts the whistle ( sometimes it almost like 2 whistles) like above it sounds like its the vent area. I have checked the mask for damage and blocked holes and it looks fine ( with a magnifying glass) and cleaned it. I also checked for separation between the soft and hard parts. If its whistling and I pull it off my face and let the machine autoshut off then let it reseat onto my face ( so the pressure resets), it stops for a while.
Very Frustrating.. any suggestions?

** forgot to add, I dont have a heated hose and dont use any humidity setting although I did try setting the humidity at 8 as an experiment and same problem
Post Reply Post Reply
Exact same problem that I experienced. See my post on it. It is very frustrating
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.