Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F. & P. Vitera full face mask leak
F. & P. Vitera full face mask leak
Background: My initial face mask for 6 years was the Mirage FX nasal mask with a chin strap due to mouth breathing.  I did experience some TMJ discomfort, and my CPAP physician recommended going to a full face mask. So, I then tried the Dreamwear full face mask, but experienced mask leakage and I moved on to the Vitera.
Current situation: With the Vitera mask, I have been unable to identify where the leaking occurs during sleep.  When I do the mask fit test, after a few minutes, I do have a short period of leak from the cheekbone area.   
Based on the sizing information from F. & P. the medium mask looks like a the best fit. I am comfortable that I have do not have the frame on to tight. My attempts have included following the recommendation of SarcasticDave94 to do the fitting lying in bed while emulating your sleeping position. ( http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...mask-linerOther suggestions as to what I should try to resolve the leaking?
Hopefully my screenshot  of a representative night showing the leaks with the medium Vitera mask will be attached to this post.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F. & P. Vitera full face mask leak
Well I blew the screenshot attempt. I will try again but would appreciate comments even if I am not successful with the attachment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I trialed the Vitera--had so hoped it would work and I loved the softer mask and having to wear it not so tight as the F20 Airtouch. Sadly it didn't work--small mask leaks were a problem and the small cushion was a little too large. I had the funny sensation of the air circling around inside the mask--drove me nuts.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK let's go over the steps and see if it'll help out. It sounds like you're starting out fine, while lying back.

Check these things off and see where this leaves you.
1.The 2 pairs of side straps should be at most about medium tension. I don't have exacting measurements but just have moderate in mind.
2. Try the lift and reposition mask cushion a bit lower on your face.
3. Redo the top of head strap if you try number 2.
4. Try to move mask about somewhat left/right and up/down to see if it'll help settle mask in place.
5. My worst leak area is nasal bridge. Even so try this, have a kleenex tissue with you. Lie back and do your method of putting the mask on and your adjusting straps, then take the tissue and hold it near the cushion to find the leaking area. Then try to manipulate mask tension to eliminate that without affecting the rest.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too changed to the Vitera full-face mask and really like it but I'm in a constant battle of leaks.  I put it on at bedtime and all seems well -- I turn over a time or two and know there's a leak.  I try not to over tighten it but if I don't, it moves so much.

Last night, AIR!  I checked the machine and had a RED SAD FACE!  I readjusted my mask several times, did a mask check and the sad face would never go away.  

I had a spare mask, changed it out -- same thing.  I don't know how to get the sad face to turn into a yellow happy one.

Frustrated! 

Side note -- I started hearing a 'wheezing' sound from the machine -- contacted my local company and I'm to take the unit in on Monday.  He didn't know if it was the machine or 'user error' -- which I won't be surprised if that's the case.

Don't know if I'll make it after my warranty is up -- I have spent money on accessories and more of everything and still have issues.

Sorry to rant!  I'm so tired this morning!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the most common things that Simplus and Vitera users make is to over tighten the upper straps. I've found that if you leave these straps loose enough to allow the vertical part of the mask frame to be about 1" (25 mm) away from your eyebrow area face, it will greatly reduce these leaks.

Now, to provide the normal disclaimer, "No one mask will fit every face".

I hope you have success!

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Oops. After reviewing my Oscar reports in more detail, I wonder if I am having significant leaking with the Vitera. I have been using my AHI readings as a proxy for leaking.  With the Mirage Fx nasal my AHI averaged 2 with a 95% leak rate of 20 while with the Vitera the figures are AHI of 5 with 95% leak rate of 25. Are the Vitera figures acceptable?  I need to learn more about  CPAP data.  What articles would you recommend to learn about interpreting CPAP data? If I can figure the how to do it, will a screen shot of my Oscar reports be helpful? 
Post Reply Post Reply
A good start is to review the articles attached to the links in my signature.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like either masks leak rate would be high and could hinder therapy. But let's see an OSCAR shot. Looking at OSCAR, use F12 and then use New Attachment on a post.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2021, 10:47 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It sounds like either masks leak rate would be high and could hinder therapy. But let's see an OSCAR shot. Looking at OSCAR, use F12 and then use New Attachment on a post.

Yep. So my last post referenced the statistics but looking at the tracings there are obvious leak episodes. The first screenshot 046 is with the Vitera and the second screenshot 555 is with the Mirage F.
I am primarily a side sleeper. I will try the repositioning techniques that you suggested. One thing I have noted when I have my mask on is that the right and left forehead straps do not form a straight line but sag in the middle where the mask frame attaches. Could this mean that I have the forehead straps too loose?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 204 Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Lots of Large Leak Lately LazerStallion 0 64 Yesterday, 08:34 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,571 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 345 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 184 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 393 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,289 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.