Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F. & P. Vitera full face mask leak
RE: F. & P. Vitera full face mask leak
(07-17-2021, 10:37 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: One of the most common things that Simplus and Vitera users make is to over tighten the upper straps. I've found that if you leave these straps loose enough to allow the vertical part of the mask frame to be about 1" (25 mm) away from your eyebrow area face, it will greatly reduce these leaks.

A good start is to review the articles attached to the links in my signature.

- Red
I measured and my distance is 1 inch. Please see what I just posted to SarcasticDave94 about the upper forehead straps.
I will read the articles.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try the 1" space suggestion. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If there is still tension at 1", you can allow a larger clearance. It's basically plus or minus a football field. Basically, the lower straps handle the sealing and the uppers straps are just there... While pressure testing the mask, if you press on the upper mask support, like it is under tension, you will experience leaking. That is why I recommend having them very loose.

Also, Dave has probably said this, but F&P's like to ride low.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Verifying a few things to help, for me my medium Vitera did better if I had it ride lower than my ResMed F20. I felt the Vitera did better that way, as it sat on a wider part of my nasal bridge. And no strap should be so loose it's hanging with no tension at all. Loosen the velcro straps and bring them in to have a small amount of tension.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape and SarcasticDave94- I will try the additional suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I contacted my local guy about the 'wheezing' sound from my machine and yes, it was from the machine -- not the mask, headgear, reservoir, etc.

Since it was still under warranty, he replaced it.  He said he'd had a few others to be returns as well so it may be a common issue -- if your machine is under warranty, check it out -- they aren't cheap to replace.  So I have same kind of unit, just brand new and so far, no wheezing.

My problem remains -- I tighten my headgear as told --- snug but not too tight.  Turn over a time or two and I have leaks.  Seldom do I get a score of 100 because I have to readjust my mask.  So, I tighten it enough I feel it's glued to my face!!!

I asked about the FULL FACE mask -- have seen photos of it and the local shop doesn't have them in yet but I'm willing to try it.  Wondering if it the air will blow into my face and eyes.

I asked the girl at the desk about the most complaints they get and she said AIR LEAKS -- people repeatedly return thinking they are doing something wrong but they too have same issues.  

Just can't get it right all the time!!

Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, first I have to backtrack on a post of mine earlier. I said that no straps would hang loose. I myself haven't let mine go that slack, so maybe it'll work even better than what I've experienced earlier.

Try this, folks that are having Vitera leak issues: as I've mentioned before try to install and adjust it while lying back on you bed. Try not to look at ResMed's mask fit and the grinning and frowning ghouls. Rely on your hand and face to feel for leaks around the mask cushion perimeter, and your OSCAR leak chart.

Now under PAP pressure, hold the mask in place as if wearing it but without straps on. Attach and adjust the bottom set, start out very light tension. Now very light tension on the top set. Adjust the bottom set for leak control. You may need to pull the mask off your face to allow the cushion to unfold if it's been grabbing at your skin and not sliding into place properly. Mine tends to bunch up a bit on my nasal bridge area, but lifting it up and resetting the mask fixes it for me. The straps need to be adjusted lightly because of RollFit, the folded bellows portion on the silicone cushion.

If any of you move lots while asleep or bump the mask hard on something, it may move out of place.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 20 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 235 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.