Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F10 vs F20 Full Face Masks
F10 vs F20 Full Face Masks
I have an F10 and an F20 full face mask.  Both are ResMed masks.  I've pretty much given up on the F20 because it makes a loud and constant hissing sound and transmits more wooshing noise during inspiration.  Comparing the two, the F10 is quite a bit quieter;  that is, the difference is NOT subtle it's pretty big.  My question is: does this sound normal for the F20 to be much louder than the F10?  Have others noticed this?  Is the F10 considered to be unusually quiet or is the F20 unusually loud?  Could I have gotten a defective F20?  
These are the only two FFM's i've ever tried so I don't know what others sound like.  Thanks for reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F10 vs F20 Full Face Masks
I have been using the f20 for well over a year and do not notice any loud sound you're describing.  Possibly defective.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2017, 08:28 PM)yankees123 Wrote: I have been using the f20 for well over a year and do not notice any loud sound you're describing.  Possibly defective.

Thanks yankees.  Have you ever used an F10 so you can compare the two?  How about any other masks you might be able to compare it to? 
Thanks again for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the F20 (both versions) and the F10. I gave up on the Airtouch F20 very quickly because it was very leaky. I loved the Airfit F20 for sheer cush. However, it was prone to turning into a hovercraft. I settled on the F10, which, while it certainly doesn't have the glamor of the F20, works way better on me than the other two. Part of the reason is that the F10 is a few millimeters longer and wider.

Which brings me to.....

I can verify that all 3 masks sound like a ventilator; there is quite a dramatic shwoosh sound at inhale, accompanied by a rushing air feel in the mask. The sound is very obvious on the F20, much less so on the F10. If you have the silicon version of the F20, the ginormousness of the sound might reflect the giganticness of the hollow cushy cushion. That's a lotta air!

I kinda like the shwooshing sound, but it did surprise me at first: it's very dramatic.

All 3 can produce impressive hissing noises if there's a leak as well as from the "intended leak" valve. Kinda like a balloon that you poke with a pin.

It's possible that the F20 is a few mm too short for you in either or both dimensions. It does seem to run short. If your dimples get active, you are very likely to get a hissing sound (aka a leak) at the corners of your mouth. This would be right under the magnet attachments. It's hard to check if there's a leak right there, because you (rather, I) can't get a finger under there to trace the leak. I found that the magnet attachments also left slack between the mask and my face. Short story: I had a lot of leaks right under the magnets.

There may be leaky spots near your eye sockets, or pretty much any other place.

So, you might be experiencing the negative consequences of leakage as well as mask engineering.

My F10 is a lot quieter, a lot less cushy, not nearly as cute, more fiddly, and....... a lot less leaky. Better sleep.

-------------

Are you using SleepyHead? Post a chart or two, so posters can see if the problem might be leaks?

-------------

I guess my final advice would be that if the mask fits, and your leaks are low, get used to the sounds. If it's leaky and you can't control the leaks, you need another mask: the sounds are irrelevant. The hardest aspect of this treatment is to get a mask that fits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used and still have both F20s, AirFit and AirTouch. I do not have the F10. My personal choice is still the AirFit. I think it's quiet overall except when blankets, etc. get too close to the mask elbow. That is very near the circular arrangement of vent holes obviously.

I've also got the Amara View mask. It's fairly quiet as well, but I couldn't adjust it as well as first impressions gave. It's just a backup now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the most success with the f20 silicone cushion.  The airtouch was nice but not able to be leak free.  Tried f10 years ago and didn't work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used the F10, I recently changed from ResMed Mirage Quatro to the F20 and so I can't compare the F20 to the F10, but I am amazed at the reduction in leaks I'm seeing with the F20; down to ZERO and stays there.  On the downside, for some reason it is irritating my skin which is making me considering switching back to the Quatro and live with some leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks HalfAsleep, for this great response!  In my case the F20 Airfit seems to have a very good seal even if I don’t torque it down too tight.  I have no drafts where the cushion meets the face/nose and it’s also comfortable.  The F10 also seals well but, but at higher pressures it needs to be tighter to stay leak free.  The noise problem for me with the F20 seems to be coming from the air vents themselves or from the elbow if its defective but not from the cushion/seal.  The F10 air-vents seem to be very quiet compared to the F20.  Maybe I need to put some effort into checking out the Airfit F20 elbow for defects/leaks but I’m not sure how to do that yet.  I’ll figure something out.  Something is putting up a hissy-fit and it doesn’t seem to be the cushion and it makes the F10 seem like I’ve got ear plugs on!  Thanks again for your thorough response!  
Thanks also to Sarcastic and yankees for your information.  
Hojo,  Yes I too find the Airfit F20 to be very leak free even at high pressures.  Just can't seem to get around the hissy-fit making me think Dearth Vader is under the bed.  Maybe I could get used to it but if it comes to that I’ll probably just stay with the F10.  Between your F20 and Quatro have you noticed any significant noise issues or differences??
Post Reply Post Reply
While we are on the subject, who makes the quietest FFM?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2017, 10:32 PM)Koolbreeze Wrote: While we are on the subject, who makes the quietest FFM?

I have to say that the F&P Simplus is very quiet, so long as you don't have the hose elbow in front of the exhaust port.  Also, I'm over 3 years with the same mask. . . no leaks or material degradation.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.