Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F10 vs F20 Full Face Masks
RE: F10 vs F20 Full Face Masks
I used a resmed silicone f10 and usually it’s pretty quiet unless I get the bedclothes anywhere near the exhaust ring and then I get a profound rushing of air sound. Otherwise I forget it’s even on

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a new F10 cushion from the DME, and the packaging says it's the same as for the QuattroAir. Interesting....
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used both the Airfit F10 and the Airfit F20.  The F10 WAS my favorite mask, but now I prefer the F20 for a number of reasons.  You are correct that it appears to make more noise out of the exhaust port compared to the F10...that is the one downside.  However the F20 doesn't have to be near as tight as the F10 to prevent leaks.  It is also much, much easier to clean, an important consideration.  Finally, the headgear with the magnetic clips is the best headgear design I have found. 

I transitioned to the F20 early this year and I have never looked back.  I have tried a number of masks over the years, and for me the Airfit F20 is the best mask I have found yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2017, 05:21 PM)Jamizer Wrote: I have used both the Airfit F10 and the Airfit F20.  The F10 WAS my favorite mask, but now I prefer the F20 for a number of reasons.  You are correct that it appears to make more noise out of the exhaust port compared to the F10...that is the one downside.  However the F20 doesn't have to be near as tight as the F10 to prevent leaks.  It is also much, much easier to clean, an important consideration.  Finally, the headgear with the magnetic clips is the best headgear design I have found. 

I transitioned to the F20 early this year and I have never looked back.  I have tried a number of masks over the years, and for me the Airfit F20 is the best mask I have found yet.

Like yourself I have found the same differences between these masks.  So far the noise difference has been the dominant factor but I'm not ready to give up on the F20 mostly because the cushion seal is better as you pointed out and doesn't need to be as tight.  Thanks for this information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the AirFit F20 a couple weeks ago.  First FFM I have ever had.  I seems to work but I have to adjust it and crank it down pretty tight to keep from getting leaks.  I get no loud hissing sounds.  I think the poor seal without cranking it down is due to a size 8 regular hat and very chubby cheeks.  The head gear only comes in one size and I think it was not made for a guy with a large head and chubby cheeks.  Still I seem to be doing better as far as getting better sleep since I got the F20.
-------------------------------------------------
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!   

Bryce the BiPAPman
Post Reply Post Reply
Well exhaust noise is one thing. But if you are not getting a good fit and get leaks, that will make even more noise. Don't discount the ease of cleaning the F20 mask either. Much harder to clean the F10 because of its design.

However, in the end, it is whatever you feel most comfortable with.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, I agree that the F&M Simplus is very quiet, so much so that the user can hear the slightest leak. My only problem, after 2 yrs of use, is that the headgear makes depressions on top of my head, and I've found no solution for that.  I used to have red marks on my nose too, but the dr. advised me to loosen the top straps a bit, a quick and simple fix that does not loosen the cushion seal at all. .  On the whole, I've been very satisfied with this somewhat dated design, and it has caused almost no problems. I wore an f-10 in my last sleep study and it was a joy -- so light and gave a good seal too, but I'm a bit wary of new fangled things, especially if the old ones aint broke.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2017, 08:56 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: ..it was prone to turning into a hovercraft...

Best description of the F20 silicone cushion from personal experience. That's when it makes loud noises. I don't have an F10 but the F20's operational sound was quite and didn't disturb my sleep, so long as the leaks are managed.
Post Reply Post Reply
ramphil2019
(12-07-2017, 08:56 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: ..it was prone to turning into a hovercraft...

Best description of the F20 silicone cushion from personal experience. That's when it makes loud noises. I don't have an F10 but the F20's operational sound was quite and didn't disturb my sleep, so long as the leaks are managed.

I just tightened mine until it stopped doing that....19cm Pressure here.
Post Reply Post Reply
No-one seems to have mentioned it yet - there are two different elbows available for the F20, I think the ones you have used are the old style which were indeed very noisy. The new 'whisper elbow' is near silent and really fantastic, if you do try an F20 again make sure to get the whisper elbow, you'll be amazed.

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.