Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare Coverage for Travel CPAP Supplies
Medicare Coverage for Travel CPAP Supplies
Although I own both a (Resmed) home APAP and a (Phillips) travel APAP, I exclusively use the Phillips Dreamstation Go travel APAP both at home and on very frequent international trips. My CPAP supplier under Medicare for hoses, masks, and filters can bill Medicare for the proprietary supplies for the Resmed home unit but not for the proprietary supplies for the Phillips travel unit. The travel unit gives me higher sleep hours and lower AHI scores and, therefore, clearly is medically preferable in my particular case.

I have searched without success Google and Medicare's site for information about how I can get Medicare to pay for its 80% of proprietary Go supplies -- specifically, hoses and filters --  that I actually can use.

Does anyone know how to approach Medicare on this issue and, even better, how to prevail?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare Coverage for Travel CPAP Supplies
I think your out of luck.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My experience is that Medicare and/or insurance will not cover costs of travel supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
They may have a "problem" paying for supplies with a machine they did not purchase for you. They have no proof you own this machine so are reluctant to pay for supplies for it. Your DME may be able to convince them you have a second machine and are no longer using the Resmed. They will NOT pay for supplies for two machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 12:08 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: They may have a "problem" paying for supplies with a machine they did not purchase for you. They have no proof you own this machine so are reluctant to pay for supplies for it. Your DME may be able to convince them you have a second machine and are no longer using the Resmed. They will NOT pay for supplies for two machines.

I purchased two machines (5 years apart) outside of Medicare and they provided supplies for each.  (One at a time)
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare pays by the code. What's working against you is that the cost of the travel machine supplies that are exclusive to that machine are more than what the DME gets paid. Until there are knockoffs available for that machine, you won't get them. Why would anybody sell you filters for which they are only paid $4.90 when they cost the company $5.50 wholesale?

We had the same problem with my brother's lymphadema wraps. The standard wraps don't fit him primarily because he is over 6'. To get the ones that do fit him, he had to go to premium upgrade and Medicare won't pay EVEN THOUGH the cheaper ones don't fit him. So he has to shell out $840 plus tax every other year for new wraps. Believe me, your supplies cost peanuts compared to his.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 227 Today, 08:42 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 5 175 Today, 12:25 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 92 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 240 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 281 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,919 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 186 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.