Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F20
F20
I was asked to try this new mask upon recommendation from my Pulmonologist. I ordered the ResMed F20 AirFit full face mask. I fell in love with this mask only after the first night of use! Now I’ve discovered a serious issue with this mask! I’ve adjusted and readjusted this mask just about every night with no success! The issue is that I keep waking up with the bottom of the mask liner over my bottom lip!!! There are only 4 adjustments on the mask, I’ve run out of combinations to try to advert this issue! Please help???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F20
You could try using either a chin strap or soft cervical collar to keep your jaw from dropping. Of course if you do that I'd just switch to nasal pillows. But that's just me.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Exasperation....I’m laughing in recognition of that exact problem. Fellow feeling!

I tried the Airfit F20 and just loved it. It wasn’t quite wide enough to cover the corners of my mouth, so I gave up. It’s possible, as I get more experience, that I can make it work.

The mask did pull up over my lip a couple of times, though. I try this......

I believe that mask is not supposed to go as high on the bridge of the nose as other FFMs. Look in the mirror and the graphics on the instructions.

If, while awake, you can hardly open your mouth without the lower lip poking out of the bottom, the mask really is too small. Get a bigger size.

Pad-a-cheek makes a band that attaches to the lower mask straps and keeps the mask anchored so it won’t ride up. 

I bailed to the Airfit F10, which is easier for me to control, but not as cushy. I’ll give the F20 a go again when I know what the heck I’m doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Airtouch F20 with a chin strap. It seems to keep the mask in place. I am also using the Medium, I have a long but narrow face. Am wondering if you were sized correctly? In every other mask I take a small. Hope this helps.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know about the AirFit but with the AirTouch I have experience.  I love it!  The harness' should work similarly. 
I have found that instead of positioning the velcro on the top straps straight back (right angle) from the attachment point moving the velcro attachment point on the strap upward or downward (at a slight angle) has an effect of keeping the seal positioned higher or lower on the face and helping keep it there.  The tightness of the top straps mainly positions the upper seal position.  Also, the bottom straps are a little tighter than I expected them to have to be.  Unless the mask is fitted as described it gives me nothing but leaks- my unit runs at higher pressures. 
Stand in front of a mirror to get everything centered and fitting properly (forget you are looking at Hannibal Lechter).  Position and adjust  the upper harness where it allows the mask seal to fall where you want it (up-down).  Secure the lower magnetic clips while holding the seal where it belongs.  With the quick release connector removed put the palm over the mask opening and inhale and exhale to test seal. Hook up the hose and go to sleep..

Sorry if this rambled  Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know guys, but every Full-Faced mask I ever tried rode up over the bottom lit and I always woke up wondering why I was eating in my sleep.  Looking at the shape of this mask (though I have never tried it) it almost looks as if it was made to do this.  Maybe it is just an illusion looking at it on their web page.  I got over it with one Full-Faced mask by getting one that had a bit that went under the chin.
Yes, some of you might be way ahead of me!  It then slipped down the nose!  I gave up on them after that, tried the Nasal Maske again, got fed up of air in my eyes and after a cupboard full of masks went over to Nasal Pillows.  Had to train myself not to breath through my mouth all the time.  Got a chin strap but had limited success with it, found a bit of material that would only stretch under a lot of pressure and made a chin strap out of that, making a hole in the material for my chin to pop through.  Just a hole big enough to hold my chin, then I pulled it as tight as I could,  This worked very well, better than the bought chin straps, however, it did give slight pain at the start.  I then tried breathing through my nose all the time until I got used to it, now I get away with a lot less pressure on a chin strap, in fact for a while I didn't use one at all.  Nut this new machine is a bit sensitive if I loose air through my mouth, so I need to make sure it stays shut.  The wife is also very pleased I keep my mouth shut in more ways then one.
Too-funny
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a size large. I can NOT use cannulas or nose pillows! Been there done that and I just can’t used to those. I am truly a mouth breather. I have tried straps to keep my mouth closed while sleeping and never liked them or was comfortable enough for me to even continue to try getting used to them! I will call my DME provider to see what they offer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was not speculating about this particular full faced mask.  I have one in Large, it fits me properly and it works exactly as I said above. 
Would it work for you? I have no idea.  But it works exactly as I said for ME.
NO, it is not for saleBigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
That is all you can do, try another mask to see if it is any better.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I use this mask in a size large.  The only way I can get it to not leak is to tighten down on the lower straps.  It seals well but I get a heavy marks on the back of my head from the straps.  Still use this mask as it is the only one that I found to stop the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.