Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Centrals coming back
Centrals coming back
My AHI number have been creeping up lately. I know these don't look too bad but the centrals when I try to go back to sleep ruin my day. I cant take a nap later due to fear of the centrals (they ramp my anxiety up bad). I recently switched to an air-sense 10 form an 11 due to a provider change. I switched back to the 11 halfway through last night but my anxiety prevented me from falling back to sleep to see if it made any difference.  I am at a pressure of 13 with no ramp and no EPR on.

I am desperate because I have to work tomorrow but if this keeps up I won't be able to stay awake.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Centrals coming back
The CA’s are one problem and combined with the flow limitations are possibly what is causing your poor sleep quality. Things look good until around 02:00, then it goes south quickly and you terminate the session. When you restart you likely never really fell asleep and had a lot of sleep-wake junk. It must have been positively frustrating.

My issue with CPAP mode is at a fixed common IPAP/EPAP pressure there is no way to deal with flow limitations. For some they do not have a lot of FL’s. If you add a bit of EPR, that may deal with enough of the flow limitations to give a better nights sleep. Consider trying EPR 2 as you can always go up or down 1 from there. 

I went through your therapy thread and flow limitations seem to be a problem there as well. I know you have tried all sorts of combinations, so wondering how you ended up with what you are currently using. I tried to make a fixed single IPAP/EPAP pressure work and had the same problems. When I added EPR things settled down nicely, though it did take some time to find the right IPAP/EPAP pressure differential.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the response. I"ill explain how I got to 13 quickly and then I have a couple questions if you don't mind. 

I started at a 9.4 to 12.4 but was having the centrals problem. I then went to 11.4 (at the time this was my average) to 14 range. During that time I solved the centrals problem by turning off EPR all together via help from this board (the advice was to go to 2, but I went to zero out of fear). After some time I was having issues with waking up a lot, and my average was 13, so I talked with my doctor and we went to a 13-14 setting and that was good for a time. At 14 it was causing some Aerophagia and it was ramping to 14 when I first put it on due to me breathing very heavily (something I have solved). So I went to just 13 which was basically my average still. I was waking up much less after going to 13-14 and then to 13.

So that's the quick and dirty of how I got to that. Would going back to a range help with the flow limits? I would rather wake up than have the centrals, they are the worst thing to me. I only ask because turning off EPR (it was at 3) stopped the centrals for some time, but this issue crept up again over time with not being able to go back to sleep without centrals, even with with the ranges.

Again thank you for you time, all the help is appreciated.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerophagia][/url]
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try adding a bit of EPR to your fixed pressure to see how it goes. I reckon trying a narrow range of pressure with EPR, back to where you were before, may be a workable solution with patience. 

Consider a 12-14 range with EPR 1 or 2, or possible a 13-15 range with EPR 2. That should tell us quite a bit. The EPR will help with flow limitations and you have a bit of range for pressure to increase if needed. 

You have to find that comfy balance point between pressure, EPR, flow limitations, and sleep quality. The folks here can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
You only had a few central apnea, all at the end of the night. To begin with centrals are ver inconsistent where one night there are some and then the next night none. Many centrals are just a person holding their breath. You might do it when turning over or pulling up covers. 

I don’t think ther is a problem there. Everyone has some central apnea every once in a while - you need to monitor but your sleep looks good.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I could be proven to be wrong, not the first time either, I think the flow limits would have been more the issue than Central AHI 0.92 to .93 versus FL at .26-.49. Max, except FL are otherwise fairly low. A few blips, short duration.

I look at FL numbers as a percentage, so this range to me reads 26-49% limited, but only within the max 99.5% column. Both charts also show median of 0.00.

According to the numbers on these 2 charts, neither should be the issue.

Leaks are minimal so it's not that either.

How is your general sleep hygiene? Bed at a regular time and length? Etc...

I'm inclined to think straight 13 isn't as helpful as you might need. It lacks EPR as well. I know you say you have to avoid CA, but this is well below AHI 5. Sorry to sound doctor like, but by the numbers, CA isn't the issue. You don't want to eliminate all events, you will be robbed of any comfort.

To contrast with a person that has big issues with CA, myself, because mine is of the predominant idiopathic CA. If on your machine, my CA would be around C-AHI 20. At that level, yes it's an issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the response.

The centrals give me a jolt of fear that last for hours when I wake up from them. Yes some of the nightly ones aren't even real centrals. But those final ones are killers, and it doesn't flag all of them. I can have any other form of AHI with mostly no problem, but the centrals bring back my anxiety every time. If I don't have centrals I don't get anxiety.

I know it looks like nothing on the charts but those last few on there are rough. Last night I had a run of 5+ back to back and it has ruined my day. I didnt have the card in for last night or I would have included it.
I
 could just get up for the day, when I wake up at night and have no anxiety, but I am super tired after a few nights of doing that.

All this is to say that for anyone who may read this thread, PeaceLoveAndPizza is 100% right. and most of my flagged centrals at night aren't real or have no effect. But the ones before I wake up after restarting therapy are demons for my mental health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please see my response to PeaceLoveAndPizza for more on why the limited centrals are a problem. 

I got to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. I don't sleep in more that 30 minutes and I am almost never late to bed. I am in bed for around 9.5 hours and usually sleep 7 to 8 hours in that time.

I am not sure of the cause of my centrals, but they really suck.

Thank you for the response and your time.

I will go back to the 13-14 range tonight as I seemed to be pretty good with that setting. I will introduce EPR if I am getting centrals tonight.

Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Massive improvement, Thanks all of you who responded!

I changed to a range of 12 to 14 and an EPR of 1 and am getting very good quality sleep now. 2 nights in a row I have gotten 8 plus hours. Below is last nights report.

I feel amazing and I can't thank you guys enough!

Post Reply Post Reply
If it's good and working well, run with this setup. Congrats
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 381 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,795 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,959 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 119 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,208 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 232 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.