Thread Closed 
FACEBOOK is a joke of a company
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

Angry FACEBOOK is a joke of a company
Okay folks, I really can't tell you how angry I am right now...

I fell for all the hype to get Apnea Board on Facebook. I resisted at first because i've heard of many horror stories. But, we did it, and we promoted the page. Put quite a bit of work into it during the past few months reading all about how to implement a Facebook presence and tweak it and such, and all of a sudden today, our Facebook account has been "disabled", with the following message:

Quote:
Account Disabled
Your account has been disabled. If you have any questions or concerns, you can visit our FAQ page Body of an error/warning message. Title is: Account Disabled.

No reason, no explanation... NOTHING.... Dont-know

Jeesh... whatever... Okay, so I clicked through the FAQs, and contacted them as to why the account was disabled. Must be something stupid or a mistake right? Thinking-about

Anyway, I finally get a response and am given a link to a note as to why we were banned from Facebook. The note said:

Quote:We've determined that you are not eligible to use Facebook. This decision is final. Unfortunately, for safety and security reasons, we can't give you any additional information as to why your account was disabled. For more information about our policies, please review the Facebook Terms.

Just GREAT... we've been banned from facebook and the decision is "Final". Oh-jeez

Stinking Facebook bans us (but it looks like our page is still there), and then they can't even tell me WHY we were banned. "For safety and security reasons" they can't even tell me? SAFETY and SECURITY??? Are you kidding? We've done nothing wrong that would be "unsafe" or "unsecure". Dodgy

But with Facebook, apparently WE'RE GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY simply because THEY DECLARE IT TO BE SO. Loco

With all the junk spewed out by Facebook lately, and this completely stupid ban where they refuse to even tell us the reasons, I've HAD IT with Facebook, at least here on Apnea Board.

Perturbed

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-25-2016 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

RE: "FACEBOOK": DECLARING WAR AGAINST THEM
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but as someone who works within the biotech / medical device sector, I wonder if the Apnea Board might be perceived by the "God complex" medical community as a place where people who are not medical doctors are giving medical advice? After all, we are actually "breaking into" the clinician-only functionality of our prescribed medical devices and adjusting them at will based on our own analysis and interpretation of data, and sometimes even advice from others that are not doctors.

Of course, we believe that we are simply taking charge of our own therapy, but maybe there are legal ramifications for Facebook to allow a board where we "rogue patients" are doing what our doctors and/or clinicians are too inept or unknowledgeable to do on their own.

Obviously I'm on AB's side. I have no loyalty to Facebook - they are merely a tool that I use primarily for entertainment. I'm just trying to think of any rational reason why they might discontinue our page because, by and large, they allow almost anyone or anything on there as long as it's not universally perceived as offensive.
04-25-2016 06:22 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

We could speculate all day long, I suppose. But their statement that "This decision is final. Unfortunately, for safety and security reasons, we can't give you any additional information as to why your account was disabled" pretty much makes it pointless to guess or even try to get it re-instated.

I wouldn't even want to be re-instated at this point.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-25-2016 06:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

Also, Apnea Board's page is still up and appears to be live. I'm not sure if it's SOP to delete the page too - I wonder if it's just a mistake or issue with the account itself?

In any case, that's a really unhelpful canned response that they sent, and I would be extremely irritated as well.
04-25-2016 06:33 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

It was suggested that facebook might have pulled the plug because I wasn't using my real name.

After we established the account, I contacted them about using the nickname "Apnea Board" on my personal account, since I have valid reasons for not doing so (my own privacy and safety).

They replied that I could use "Apnea Board" as long as this was a "common nickname" that I was known by, but that i had to wait 60 days since I created the account to change the name.

So I had already received a note giving me permission to use the "Apnea Board" nickname, so that can't be the reason, I would think.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-25-2016 06:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tmoody Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System 1 BPAP AutoSV
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX nose pillows
Humidifier: PR System 1 attached
CPAP Pressure: 8-25

Other Comments:

If I had to bet, if put my money on Possum's theory. Somebody decided that what we do here comes too close to circumventing doctors.
04-25-2016 06:35 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Not sure, but our staff member here who helps with our Facebook page still has access to the page... not sure what's going on now.

In any case, the decision still stands - we're through with Facebook Nazi-book.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-25-2016 06:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

All it would take is one person to report the page for something and they close it for just that reason. They don't do much investigating.

If you wanted to follow-up on it, I would continue to ask why despite the statement of it being final.

There are medical groups on there all over the place, discussing all sorts of stuff so I don't think that would be the reason. Adjusting pressure is not illegal in any country.

Is FB necessary for ApneaBoard's success? No. Is it necessary for anyone's success? No. It is too big to use as the sole method of sales or promotion. You have no control over who sees the posts. Some times everyone does, sometimes no one does. It isn't worth it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

04-25-2016 07:02 PM
richb Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: Epap 6 Ipap 8 Auto ASV

Other Comments: Idiopathic Central Apnea

The FB page still seems to be live. Saw this in their Help Section. "Please review the Facebook Statement of Rights and Responsibilities to learn more about our policies. If you think your account was disabled by mistake you can submit an appeal." Are you sure you haven't been scammed?

Rich
04-25-2016 07:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If the page is still up, then yeah, my bet is it was a scam post. Or a secondary mockup that got blocked and it was sent to you. It is a common thing to spoof a person or group.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

04-25-2016 07:07 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Surprised [News] Facebook "listening in" to your conversations via your cellphone microphone ApneaNews 6 415 06-04-2016 05:36 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Funny story -- Joke's on me. justMongo 4 883 03-12-2015 02:37 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Employers ask job applicants for their Facebook passwords greatunclebill 0 1,345 03-21-2012 10:16 AM
Last Post: greatunclebill