Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Comparing Oximeters - I should have known better...
RE: Comparing Oximeters - I should have known better...
(02-12-2013, 11:18 AM)JJJ Wrote: Amazingly, there are computers that are not Mac or Windows. Smile

Of course - but I figured if you were a linux/BSD/xNIX user you would already have had a go at wine. Wink

... unless of course you use something _really_ obscure???

I am continually surprised at the programs people get to run in wine. I have only tinkered to see how it worked. IIRC wine is also ported to the current MacOS. I stick with windows though and use VMware to support an Ubuntu partition for the little bit stuff I do with Linux. The reverse also is commonly done with VMWare or similar making a windows partition on the xNix machine..

I started with Mini-computers in the 70's... PDP-8 and a little heard of General Automation SPC16/40
Forgive me if this is old news but...

I was interested to discover in some reading last night that optical oximeters (some at least) use two light emitters - one Infra Red and the other visible red - to sense the blood properties.

Apparently they look at the balance between the intensities of the two wavelengths as transmitted through the finger or ear-lobe to determine the SpO2.
Moriarty - the methods have become pretty standardised and work pretty well, at least we think they do - it all sort of began with some guy shining a flashlight through his hand and wondering if there could be something useful in it. I think these are some pretty clever guys.

Heck, I think the stethoscope and the reflex hammer are darned clever too. It makes my life easier, anyway. Glad I don't live back in the seventeenth century - imagine going to a proctologist back then, with candles? Ouch!
(02-12-2013, 06:06 PM)wilorg Wrote: Glad I don't live back in the seventeenth century - imagine going to a proctologist back then, with candles? Ouch!

Sorry wilorg... WAAAAAy to much information....eeew
Thought it was more humorous and less gruesome than describing surgery one hundred years ago or more.... just be glad you live today.... trust me on this one....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,917 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
Brick Can slight arrythmia disrupt oximeters? Seems not? DavidEsp 3 513 04-13-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Comparing AHI Severity with Lowest o2 Sat Severity GoliGoli 2 559 08-02-2022, 09:36 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] OXIMETERS -- RACIAL DIFFERENCES srlevine1 0 471 06-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Comparing Data from different modes and pressures melbell 3 734 04-05-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CMS50I-CMS50F oximeters: technical and uploading differences and limits 2SleepBetta 16 3,455 11-19-2021, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Comparing Resmed S9 with S10 Benzi 3 1,005 02-17-2021, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Benzi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.