Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FF or Hybrid mask Suggestion.
FF or Hybrid mask Suggestion.
My mouth pops open while sleeping. I tried using the Chin Strap but it still pops open. I do have many other sleep problems & just cannot afford to wake up 2 to 3 more times with a very dry mouth.

So I am looking for a Good FF mask or a Hybrid mask. The DME here are super pricey & have very limited options.

So I am looking to buy on line. I am a side sleeper . So reccomenditions are going to be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FF or Hybrid mask Suggestion.
Realtor 1, I have gone from the Mirage Quattro to the Quattro Air and find it Ok, it's the newest Resmed on the market. I sleep on my back or both sides.
The trick is to have the hose coming from above your head either over a bed head or you can buy a product called a hose lift or make something yourself.
As the masks have a swivel connector you can then move from side to side.
I also have my pillows slightly different to normal, I have the bottom one vertical (across the bed) and the top pillow horizontal (up and down) that way there is less real estate for the mask to knock on or you can buy a CPAP pillow.
The final tip, if you go to a FFM, use mask liners, you can buy them over the net or make your own.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have my pillows the same way that Tez62 does. I did it because it elevates my head. It works well for me. I don't know what chin strap you tried but I am using a carefusion ADJUSTABLE CHIN STRAP and it works well. I am a mouth breather with a stopped up nose a lot because of allergies and I don't have trouble keeping my mouth closed. I posted a photo of it in product review. I have been using it since the end of November. So far, so good. I am waiting to see if I am going to be switched to a bipap machine and see how it works with that but I doubt it will be any different. I am also using a wisp nasal mask. I did not have any success with a FFM (Quattro Mirage, Quattro FX and Amara Gel).
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2013, 11:09 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: So I am looking for a Good FF mask or a Hybrid mask. The DME here are super pricey & have very limited options.
I've only tried Resmed masks, Quattro and Quattro FX and both did not works for me, not going waste any more money on Quattro Air.
I had a trial with Mirage Liberty sort of hybrid mask, full face mask with nasal pillows but could not get on with the nasal pillows but of course no mask fit all, everyone is different.
Check mask fitting template and if all pillows sizes included
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients

Supplier #10 ship to Canada http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
My quattro air is working for me but I do use a pap pillow and a hose hanger which keeps the hose out of the way. I also use a chin strap to keep my mouth from falling way open. I have found the ResMed and the Respironics chin straps to work well but do not eliminate the occasional mouth puff in deep sleep. I start with a fresh clean face and a clean mask and fit the Air on my face while lying down. If I have a bad night with mouth farts, I might get up and put on a mask liner like Remzzzs. I am eligible for a replacement cushion in a month and in three months a new mask. I may try the Mirage Quattro that has a better reputation for controlling leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Realtor 1, the big problem is that everybody is different and no two faces are alike. What suits me may be terrible for you and vice versa. This makes it almost impossible to give a firm recommendation. However, most people who have reported on the Quattro Air seem to like it.

FWIW I also settled on the Quattro Air after a trial. It's pretty good, though it does leak a bit. The one I had on trial didn't leak at all, but when I laid out my hard-earned I got one that just doesn't seal properly. So two identical masks of the same make and model gave different results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Realtor 1 - I too am a side sleeper. My first month on CPAP was with a Quattro Air. I was never able to control the leaks with it which may have been due to my being NEW to therapy. I then picked up a Mirage Quattro which I have been using since (five months and counting). Another issue that I have is that I have a mustache and goatee. In order to make the mask work for me I have to tighten down the lower straps quite snug (much tighter than I was going with the Quattro Air) while the upper straps are a bit less snug. I still have the occasional night of annoying leaks, but I figure that the more I use it the better I will get at adjusting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tonight I am seriously using the mask fit feature of the ResMed S9 series that allows you to fit your mask at your highest pressure. I fit the mask using this feature and marked the headgear straps with ink so I can approximate this high pressure fitting before I go to sleep so I won't be awakened by leaks when the pressure goes up from 6 to 10 on the Autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks everyone for the answers.

@ Me50 , I am using Philips Respironics Chin Strap, I believe it is called the Premium Chinstrap. Does not do much for me, did initially work for maybe 15 to 20 days but the mouth always pop open. Also my Head gear on the F & P Pilario broke & had to buy the replacement which is different and does interfere with the atraps of the Chin Strap.

Also I am looking into this particular one: Respcare Hybrid Full Face Mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2013, 03:51 AM)Lukie Wrote: My quattro air is working for me but I do use a pap pillow and a hose hanger which keeps the hose out of the way. I also use a chin strap to keep my mouth from falling way open. I have found the ResMed and the Respironics chin straps to work well but do not eliminate the occasional mouth puff in deep sleep. I start with a fresh clean face and a clean mask and fit the Air on my face while lying down. If I have a bad night with mouth farts, I might get up and put on a mask liner like Remzzzs. I am eligible for a replacement cushion in a month and in three months a new mask. I may try the Mirage Quattro that has a better reputation for controlling leaks.

you should be able to get a new cushion every month (FFM) and for nasal, 2 per month. A new mask every 3 months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 26 964 2 hours ago
Last Post: BKeeper
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 944 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 646 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] New User - Settings Suggestion - Disturbed Sleep ralphm123 3 318 11-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Suggestion to improve AHI, especially CA caffee666 7 640 01-31-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep Eye Mask Suggestion? Susabella 7 719 11-06-2022, 07:39 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.