Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FFM and Dry Mouth
FFM and Dry Mouth
I realize there are a million and a half search results on dry mouth and FFM, and I actually did find one that was pretty close to my question, but I have a couple of additional questions. 

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=biotene

I currently use the Amara View FFM because all of a sudden (a couple of months ago) I started mouth breathing and waking up with dry mouth, and the AV been working fine since then.  From reading the above link, it seems that mouth breathing even with a FFM can result in dry mouth.

I set my Min EPAP to 6 (from 5) two nights ago, and I've woken up both mornings at 0500 (usually about 0700) with very dry mouth. I'm not aware of any other changes, although the general seasonal temperature is beginning to drop and humidity increase a bit.

I use the ClimateLine on auto setting.
My mask leaks are negligible.

I figured I'd just try some biotene and see if it helps, but the FAQ on their website states that it takes about 28 days to begin last about four hours (long time to fall short of when I experience the dry mouth effects). 

1. Is there a possibility that there is a correlation between increasing Min EPAP 1cm and increased mouth breathing to dry mouth?

2. Does anyone know how well the biotene actually works overnight and how long it takes?

Thanks,

ct
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FFM and Dry Mouth
I too get dry mouth even though I am using a full face mask. At first I was able to train myself to use the tongue suck technique to reduce the air moving through my mouth sufficiently to reduce my dry mouth. After encountering some other health problems, this no longer worked for me. What I have ended up with is a combination of the humidifier at full blast. a chin strap, and Biotene Dry Mouth mouth wash. My mouth is still a little dry in the morning but only a little. The medication that seemed to last the longest by itself for me was Orajel Dry Mouth Gel.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, CT.

Biotene has given me some relief from dry mouth the first night I used it. I was using a FFM at the time. Even if it does relieve your dry mouth, you will need to address the reason you are having dry mouth in the first place. You may need either a chinstrap or soft cervical collar to help control the mouth breathing.

I started using a chin strap with my FMM which helped with mouth leaks and virtually eliminated dry mouth. I have started using a soft cervical collar for positional related apnea events. The collar had the added benefit of reducing leaks due to mouth breathing even more.    

I have noticed I have more trouble with mouth breathing at higher pressures.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys,

I think I do ok with the tongue technique, until I don't. Haven't been able to quite master it for the whole night.
The chin strap worked ok as long as it stayed in position, but I think the dents in my head are misaligned and the darn thing moves to and fro all night and I kept waking up to adjust it, of course, then knocking the mask off seal.

I have a personal history with collars and would prefer to avoid them if reasonably possible. I have a couple of leftovers, and did try one firm foam one but it was too wide, I think, about 4". If I wear it loose enough, it rides up and pushes the mask up.  Otherwise, it's more like a cast.  Have to admit it does work pretty well for keeping the mouth shut, but I lacerated the inside of my lip with my teeth being jammed up against it.

Good to know about the biotene and orajel - I might just get a couple of extra hours. 

ct
Post Reply Post Reply
try xlyimelts

biotene never worked for me, xlyimelts did.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here.... I can say Xlyimelts definitely works for both FFM and nasal pillow masks..... Biotene don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.