Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FFM causing flaky, red skin
Surprised 
FFM causing flaky, red skin
So I've been getting along alright with my Quattro Air...but after a couple days of use, the skin where the mask goes over my mouth seems to become a little flaky and red. It's not irritated or anything, but it looks very, very gross. I'm fairly confident it's not an allergic reaction as it is the entire area under the mask and not just where the mask seals. I've tried washing the mask/hose/etc and I always wash my face before putting it on, doesn't seem to make a difference. I've played with my humidifier, I currently have it on 80 degrees and humidity level 4 (Resmed S9). Changing the humidity level any lower or higher seems to cause my nose to plug up though. I've added a padacheek mask liner, which I like but it hasn't fixed the skin problem.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's really bumming me out since I finally have the mask leak free and my AHI is pretty good as well. I suppose I'll have to alternate between this and the nasal pillows if I can't get it to work, but those leak like crazy and I don't sleep as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FFM causing flaky, red skin
Well, I tend to drool a bit out of the corners of my mouth, and it gets sore and red. I live on 'Blistex' - basically every morning.

Could this be your case?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eviltim
I was going to suggest a mask liner but as you,re already using one, try lowering humidity setting or set the climate control on auto mode.
You might be experiencing heat rash from temp setting a little too high, maybe the weather or/and bedroom getting warmer

Post Reply Post Reply
First guess, humidified air too hot. Suggest you lower the temp.
When my nostrils seem to get plugged during certain seasons, I apply Vasoline in the nostrils with a q-tip.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing to try is a bees wax lotion. If it is pure bees wax (or at least petroleum free), it shouldn't hurt the mask but someone will correct me if I am wrong. It should help prevent the moisture and heat from the mask from hurting your face. It is doing the lower face because that's where gravity takes it.

Another option would be diaper rash cream but not sure it would be good for the mask and it is a pain in the arse (no pun intended) to clean off.

The bees wax helps to prevent moisture issues. When I was a potter, we used a bees wax based lotion to protect our hands since they were immersed in mud all day. Loved the stuff.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If wanted try cloth mask so you know if its an allergic reaction to silicone also check with family doctor as there are other causes to skin irritation
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2013, 04:37 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Well, I tend to drool a bit out of the corners of my mouth, and it gets sore and red. I live on 'Blistex' - basically every morning.

Could this be your case?

Doubtful since it's all over my face including above my lips and on my nose where the mask seals. That would be some pretty serious drool!

(10-12-2013, 05:08 PM)justMongo Wrote: First guess, humidified air too hot. Suggest you lower the temp.
When my nostrils seem to get plugged during certain seasons, I apply Vasoline in the nostrils with a q-tip.

I'll give that one a shot. I am scared to mess with the humidifier settings too much since I finally got my airway happy with them.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2013, 03:31 PM)eviltim Wrote: So I've been getting along alright with my Quattro Air...but after a couple days of use, the skin where the mask goes over my mouth seems to become a little flaky and red. It's not irritated or anything, but it looks very, very gross. I'm fairly confident it's not an allergic reaction as it is the entire area under the mask and not just where the mask seals. I've tried washing the mask/hose/etc and I always wash my face before putting it on, doesn't seem to make a difference. I've played with my humidifier, I currently have it on 80 degrees and humidity level 4 (Resmed S9). Changing the humidity level any lower or higher seems to cause my nose to plug up though. I've added a padacheek mask liner, which I like but it hasn't fixed the skin problem.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's really bumming me out since I finally have the mask leak free and my AHI is pretty good as well. I suppose I'll have to alternate between this and the nasal pillows if I can't get it to work, but those leak like crazy and I don't sleep as well.

Hi eviltim, you probably suffering from Seborrhoeic dermatitis. It's a common, but not harmful, skin disease. I'm having the same problem. Symptoms are a red, dry; oily and flaking skin around the nose, behind or in the ear, hair(dandruff), or even genital region. It's easily treatable with
natural zinc, tea three or selenium creme, otherwise ketoconazole etc.
It's an allergy of natural occurring fungi on your skin. Everybody is having the fungi but your are (at a certain amount) allergic to them. It's mostly occurring when it's getting dry and colder. Turn on the heat of your humidifier, clean your skin with a lotion (to clean off your oily-greasy skin), use some zinc creme and symptoms will disappear quickly.

[Image: seborrheic_dermatitis_107.jpg]

Otherwise, and maybe better, see a skin doctor.

Because of the pressured air (with cpap) your skin will dry out more easily and make it more vulnerable for that kind of problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, that makes sense. I've never had this happen before starting CPAP. Hopefully changing the humidifier settings will fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eviltim,

Whenever I get a new mask I need to wash it with soap and water a long time (very thoroughly) before first using it.

Even after washing it a lot, I usually get an allergic reaction for about a week.

i think the cause of the problem may be the plastic which the new mask is packaged in. Packaging materials are not necessarily hypoallergenic, and I suspect some of the packaging plastic is getting absorbed into the mask.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 10 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 265 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,795 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 310 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  Any idea what's causing such low flow rate? stevew77 1 388 10-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.