Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FFM for a Beard
FFM for a Beard
Hello,

I am a new CPAP user.  Just got machine on Friday.  I am using a FFM as I have some difficulty nose breathing some times. However, I have a goatee and a shaved head (let the hair grow where it will).  I am using a Resmed Airsense 10 and the mask I currently have is an Airfit F10.  I used a Simplus at my sleep study, but when I tried the F10 at my machine pickup it felt more comfortable. 

The first night with the machine I did well - 10 hours and AHI 0.3 (from the 19 at study), but the report was that the mask was leaking and I had 5 removals. (using Myair).  Did an adjustment and in 8.5 hours the next night had a better seal and same AHI. 

The thing is I feel that I have the mask too tight to my bottom lip and I read that the looser the fit the better the mask.

I do sleep on my side and since I have had good results (also no snoring - per the wife). I wonder if I am overanalyzing.  I do have 30 day mask exchange so I could trade to the Simplus.

Looking for other FFM users for opinions and if any have beards what has worked best.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FFM for a Beard
I used to have a beard, but when I started APAP with a FFM I cut it off.  I'd rather breath good than look good.  Just my personal choice, not judging yours.

(and to tell the truth I look ugly as sin either way...)
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The trouble with masks is that what works for you may not work for me, and what works for me may not work for you.  Your facial structure is unique.

That said the Amara View works for me.  That's me with it in my Avatar.

Take your PAP to the DME and try as many masks as you can under pressure and is at all possible, lying down, take home the one that works best.

My everyday mask is the smallest and lightest of the all, the P10 nasal pillows, which I add tape (sports tape) on my lips to manage my mouth breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
^^this guy! The final authority of masks with big beards.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME did have me try the masks with my PAP while I was in their place, but did not have me try laying down. I did try an Amara View but could not get it to feel comfortable.  As you say everyones face is different.  I appreciate the input as that is why I am glad I found this board.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jo11ymon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and also with finding a mask that works for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
still working on it but read this

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid191061

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2017, 09:16 PM)bonjour Wrote: still working on it but read this

Fred

Thank you Fred.  This is a very informative start.  I have signed up for the Airfit 10 day intro SMS messages.  IF after 10 days I still have issues, I will contact my DME as I do have the 30 Day Mask trial.  

I really appreciate the tips.

Doug
Post Reply Post Reply
I currently have 3 FFMs that work well for me and I have a goatee too. The two that work the absolute best for me are the Resmed Mirage Quattro and Airfit F20. These two work well for me and seem about even in terms of how well they work. I also have a Simplus mask that performs almost as well as the other two.

It is obviously important to get the best size for you. Notice that I said the best size not the correct size. The reason for that is my Mirage Quattro. Using Resmed's sizing tool I am a perfect medium but in use the medium tends to push my jaw down which tends to open my mouth. Small works better for me. The other two were true to the fitting size.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Simplus pushed into my somewhat prominent cheekbones.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beard with a full mask AirTouch F20 resmed Slopey 5 1,104 09-09-2023, 08:36 PM
Last Post: NorthCoastLocal
  Best mask for beard! Red Sunset 11 4,215 08-29-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SolidPaint
  [Equipment] Dreamwear FFM Not Working with Beard Dale00 1 527 01-24-2023, 02:56 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Problem with beard LarryRapp 6 1,470 05-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Last Post: LarryRapp
  FFM with beard (Male) LarryRapp 2 1,136 03-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Last Post: LarryRapp
  Beard [and fixing leaks] LarryRapp 20 3,928 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  [Equipment] FFM: Stomach Sleeper with Beard Beatty 20 4,072 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.