Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FFM
RE: FFM
(01-29-2016, 03:49 AM)zonk Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 09:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I use a FFM *and* a chin strap.
Out of interest, what is the purpose of chinstrap with FFM, breathing through mouth is not issue with FFM

I've always wondered about that too. I don't use a FFM, but for those of you that do and still breath through your mouth...don't you experience dry mouth when than happens? So that is where a chin strap would help with FFM. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All
I ordered the Roscoe FFM wish me luck.
Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 08:15 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
Out of interest, what is the purpose of chinstrap with FFM, breathing through mouth is not issue with FFM

I've always wondered about that too. I don't use a FFM, but for those of you that do and still breath through your mouth...don't you experience dry mouth when than happens? So that is where a chin strap would help with FFM. Thinking-about

You nailed it in my case, Rose.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I second what Mongo said. I would add that i think that the Simplus FFM does a good job for a fair number of people.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 05:53 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 08:15 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 03:49 AM)zonk Wrote: Out of interest, what is the purpose of chinstrap with FFM, breathing through mouth is not issue with FFM

You nailed it in my case, Rose.
Excuse my ignorance, I don't get it
FFM = mouth breathing + dry mouth
FFM and mouth breathing are intertwined, you cannot have one without the other, unless of course you breathe only through your nose
In this case scenario, why bother with FFM, might as well go with nasal or nasal pillows mask

Anyway, I'm open to change my mind if someone come up with some insight on the matter

Post Reply Post Reply

It is with me. When I open my mouth while I sleep I get a very dry mouth and the maximum available humidity doesn't help. The chin strap encourages the lips to stay together after I drift off and pretty well eliminates the dry mouth.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 08:45 PM)zonk Wrote: Excuse my ignorance, I don't get it
FFM = mouth breathing + dry mouth
FFM and mouth breathing are intertwined, you cannot have one without the other, unless of course you breathe only through your nose
In this case scenario, why bother with FFM, might as well go with nasal or nasal pillows mask

Anyway, I'm open to change my mind if someone come up with some insight on the matter

Zonk,

I went to a FFM because with a nasal mask I was mouth breathing/leaking. That corrected my therapy. After a while, I started having trouble with dry mouth with the FFM. Apparently, I was mouth breathing/leaking while wearing the FFM. Did not cause any therapeutic problem but I was getting dry mouth.

I do take some medications that probably make me more prone to have dry mouth. Anyway, I started training myself to do the tongue seal. and that worked for me for a while but then I got to the point where I could not get myself to maintain the tongue seal well enough while asleep to prevent the dry mouth.

I had tried a number of chin straps earlier but was never successful with one. After playing around with the tongue seal and hand pressure under my chin, I decided that a 3" chin strap might work. I ordered one and as soon as I tried it-voila' no dry mouth.

I have now gotten myself to the point where I no longer need the chin strap (thank goodness-not my favorite thing). I think that it is a training thing like Retired_Guy used to say

I am also playing with the anti dry mouth medications. I have used the Biotene mouthwash routinely as long as I have been on the present Mirage Quattro mask. I am trying other things out. The other night I tried XyliMelts. Their effect lasted about as long as the Biotene but, when the dry mouth started coming on, the inside of my mouth tasted like someone had been using it for a garbage dump. I now have some of the Oragel dry mouth remedy which I am going to try soon.

Hope I answered your question Zonk. Of course, then I got wrapped up in the subject and did a SuperSleeper Dielaughing Oh well, there are definitely worse things.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an FFM due to lip leaks, not full open mouth. But once I started using the FFM, the air would blow my mouth open (from the outside, not from going inside my nose). I also open my mouth more when on my back because of the pressure from the mask on my chin. If that ever becomes a problem for me, I will trial the Flexifit.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 12:16 PM)shortyd Wrote: Hello All
I ordered the Roscoe FFM wish me luck.
Linda
Hi Linda
Return insurance is good idea whenever trying a new mask, allows you to return the mask within 30 days for a refund in case didn't work for you

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 10:45 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Hope I answered your question Zonk. Of course, then I got wrapped up in the subject and did a SuperSleeper Dielaughing Oh well, there are definitely worse things.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Thanks mate, you're a legend

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.