Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FOT (Forced Oscillation Technique) waking me up repeatedly
FOT (Forced Oscillation Technique) waking me up repeatedly
I recently dropped my Airsense 10 and thought that I had broken it because that same night I woke up and noticed my full face mask was vibrating on my face in pulses. Due to this, I thought something had broken in my machine. I purchased another Airsense 10, and I didn't notice the air pulses, so I figured I was good to go. That night I was awoken by the same type of pulsing or "puffing" air, which made my mask "vibrate" or shift up and down slightly on my face (this lightly pinches my nose repeatedly).

From there I did some research, and discovered Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT). I realized the reason I wasn't feeling the pulses on the new machine when I first plugged it in was due to FOT being disabled during Ramp.

So I put ramp on the max 45 min., and don't have to deal with FOT when I'm trying to fall asleep (I hold my breath long enough to trigger FOT when I initially fall asleep, which wakes me up). BUT, now I'm finding that FOT is repeatedly waking me up out of sleep at night. My AHI is low, but that is only because I'm being awaken by FOT after 4 seconds of holding my breath. 

I didn't seem to have a problem with FOT for the first 2 months of my initial therapy, but now that I know about FOT, it's almost like I'm hyper sensitive to it. Now, I'm being woken so often at night due to FOT that I'm back to feeling as crappy as before I started on CPAP.

I read from a previous thread that FOT can be disabled with the Aircurve VAuto: "Interestingly, you can also buy the AirCurve 10S or VAUTO, and set it to S mode with easy-breathe off, and you'll get no central detection but you will get detailed data reporting.  I've now tried a machine with no central detection and I've found a night and day difference.  I wake up far less frequently and I feel better in the morning."

I'm thinking of investing in a VAuto just to get rid of this horrible FOT issue. Has anyone else dealt with this or able to confirm that the AirCurve works without FOT?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FOT (Forced Oscillation Technique) waking me up repeatedly
You can put your air sense 10 into cpap mode.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 02:23 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: You can put your air sense 10 into cpap mode.

I tried that last night. I was still getting FOTs on CPAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your talking about the EPR. You can turn that off in the clinic settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 02:45 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think your talking about the EPR. You can turn that off in the clinic settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

I wish I was talking about EPR, but I turned on CPAP mode and also turned off EPR, along with turning off Ramp just to test if I would still get FOT. Unfortunately FOT still happens on the Airsense 10 even in CPAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 02:14 PM)isuckatsleeping Wrote: I'm thinking of investing in a VAuto just to get rid of this horrible FOT issue. 

That's an expensive solution since the VAuto costs twice as much as the Airsense. Another option to consider would be switching brands. Although ResMed is the most-recommended brand on Apnea Board, it's not for everyone. The other market leader (besides ResMed) is Philips Respironics, who make the DreamStation machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 03:19 PM)big_dave Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 02:14 PM)isuckatsleeping Wrote: I'm thinking of investing in a VAuto just to get rid of this horrible FOT issue. 

That's an expensive solution since the VAuto costs twice as much as the Airsense. Another option to consider would be switching brands. Although ResMed is the most-recommended brand on Apnea Board, it's not for everyone. The other market leader (besides ResMed) is Philips Respironics, who make the DreamStation machines.

Thanks for the reply. I have someone near me who just got surgery and is selling their VAuto with 800 hrs for $450. Pretty dang good deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the VAUTO uses FOT to determine OA events from CA events also.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 04:30 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I believe the VAUTO uses FOT to determine OA events from CA events also.

I read from a user on here that it can be disabled, but I haven't confirmed with anyone else that this is the case:

"Interestingly, you can also buy the AirCurve 10S or VAUTO, and set it to S mode with easy-breathe off, and you'll get no central detection but you will get detailed data reporting.  I've now tried a machine with no central detection and I've found a night and day difference.  I wake up far less frequently and I feel better in the morning."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a VAUTO and you can turn off easy-breath. It still detects CA events though which means it still uses FOT.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 110 6 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 290 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.