Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FRUSTRATED: Still tired after 131 days of CPAP
RE: FRUSTRATED: Still tired after 131 days of CPAP
DJ

You may want to start keeping a sleep record of when you go to sleep, wake up, go back to sleep, what you do when you wake up, etc.

I am going to start doing that b/c my machine isn't matching what my sleep time and wake time is. I know I was still awake at 9:20 PM b/c I sent an email at that time. The dogs woke me up at a little after 11 PM to go outside. My machine showed I had used it 2.8 hours which is totally wrong. For the sake of argument, even if I went to sleep at 9:20 PM, that wouldn't have been almost 3 hours. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
After 131 days...It might be something else going on. I would suggest getting a complete blood panel for thyroid and also vitamin D and magnesium. It you are over 50 and have not had a stress test after all the bood work comes back, I suggest you get one if nothing else shows up. Your CPAP treatment should have kicked in by now and you should have started feeling better by the second month.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for seven months--a relatively short time. For me, the progress is very slow, but steady. I expected the CPAP to produce instant results. But I kept waking up at first. My wakings have gradually diminished. I am aware of only 3 or 4 a night now--usually precipitated by a cat jumping on the bed! Smile I am typically very well rested when I get up in the morning. Honestly, I had forgotten what it was like to wake up not tired! I say this to say that I think everyone responds at their own rate. My doctor uses a CPAP and she said it took her a year to get really used to it. hang in there! I hope your body will eventually come around. I didn't really notice day to day improvement, but one day just recently, it occurred to me that I am rarely tired in the mornings! What a gift! In addition, my resting pulse rate has dropped more than 30 points!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2013, 05:39 PM)Purdue writer Wrote: I have been on CPAP for seven months--a relatively short time. For me, the progress is very slow, but steady. I expected the CPAP to produce instant results. But I kept waking up at first. My wakings have gradually diminished. I am aware of only 3 or 4 a night now--usually precipitated by a cat jumping on the bed! Smile I am typically very well rested when I get up in the morning. Honestly, I had forgotten what it was like to wake up not tired! I say this to say that I think everyone responds at their own rate. My doctor uses a CPAP and she said it took her a year to get really used to it. hang in there! I hope your body will eventually come around. I didn't really notice day to day improvement, but one day just recently, it occurred to me that I am rarely tired in the mornings! What a gift! In addition, my resting pulse rate has dropped more than 30 points!

I agree. Some people take to it fast and others take a while. I didn't have trouble with the machine but I had trouble sleeping more than 2 hours at a time and part of that was b/c my mask and headgear was too big and it leaked too much which affected my quality of sleep and what the machine was supposed to do. This went on for a almost 2 years b4 I made them try a smaller mask/headgear and it got better. BUT, I still woke a lot and it was due to the pressure being wrong. It amazes me how they can say a pressure is correct if they only checked it for 29 minutes! If they had checked it for a couple of hours, that might be different but not 29 minutes!
Post Reply Post Reply
Check with your doctor, But Lunesta gave me sleep when nothing worked. I used it for about a year, then realized I was psychologically addicted to my little green butterfly, so worked my way off them.
Van

(10-09-2013, 08:24 PM)rwin Wrote: Its been 131 days since I began cpap and I'm still fatigued upon awakening and throughout the day. AHI 1.07 and RERA index 0.39. Leaks are minimal however I find myself waking up 3-4x throughout the night for no apparent reason. Consulted with two sleep doctors who both rely heavily on the numbers and have no additional insight as to why I'm still tired. Was prescribed Provigil and then Nuvigil which neither helped. Full blood workup and vitamin panel including Vitamin D3 were in an appropriate range. No anxiety or depression.

I am running out of patience and options. Will try an oximeter to obtain some oxygen readings. Please help if anyone else has encountered a similar situation. Thanks! Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP for two years and I have yet to feel more energetic or less tired. I started out at 8 cmH2O and am currently on 10. I go to sleep almost immediately when I go to bed around 10:30 PM but I wake up three to five times throughout the night almost every night. Most times I can go back to sleep within 30-45 minutes but sometimes not. I don't get up or turn on any light and I avoid any distractions that may "get me wider awake" other than glancing at a clock across the room. I am noticing a trend with one of my awake times being around 3:30 AM nightly. It's very hard to get back to sleep this time. After laying there for an hour or two unable to return to sleep, I get up and start my day, tired again! I have tried Melatonin without success. I don't take naps, never have. After a week or two of this routine, I break down and take one Tylenol PM which results in a great nights sleep and gives me the strength to start all over. I am not stressed about anything, I don't drink caffeine products in the evening, I experience no pain, etc. so don't know what is going on but I have read lots of great advice here and will explore options. I downloaded SleepyHead a couple days ago. Hopefully I will find answers in the data. My heart goes out to those of you who are also experiencing continued sleep issues. Not fun! Hope we all find resolution to this issue soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 10:20 PM)Donna Wrote: I am noticing a trend with one of my awake times being around 3:30 AM nightly. It's very hard to get back to sleep this time. After laying there for an hour or two unable to return to sleep, I get up and start my day, tired again!
Rather than lying in bed for an hour or two fighting unsuccessfully to get back to sleep and then getting up (exhausted) to start your day, I'd suggest trying the following: Allow yourself about 15-20 minutes to get back to sleep----without looking at the clock. If you are still not asleep after what you think is about 15-20 minutes, go ahead and get out of bed at that point and go do something quiet and soothing and sleep inducing. Sitting in a dark or semidark room listening to some quiet music might work. Maybe making yourself a cup of camomile tea (if you like it). Doesn't really matter what you do as long as it's NOT work related. And do NOT look at the clock while you're not in bed. And do NOT allow yourself to fret about the fact that you are not asleep. Just do something that you find soothing, relaxing, sleep inducing and that helps keep you from worrying. When you start to feel sleepy, go back to bed and mask up and give yourself another 15-20 minutes to get back to sleep.

You may not get any more sleep than you're getting now, but you may actually be more relaxed and more rested in the morning because you won't be lying in bed worrying about why you're not able to get back to sleep and fighting unsuccessfully to get back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea, robysue. I'll give that a try. Heck, at this point, I'd be willing to try about anything!
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that really helped me was when I got one of those beds with the adjustable air pressure. I am not going to mention the make and model - this isn't spam.

I can set the pressure I like and remain comfortable throughout the night. Getting and staying "comfortable" enough to stay asleep hasn't been an issue for me. It might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2013, 08:39 AM)Zoomy Wrote: One thing that really helped me was when I got one of those beds with the adjustable air pressure. I am not going to mention the make and model - this isn't spam.
I've got one of these beds too. All I can say is that I really like the bed. I don't often adjust the pressure and seldom adjust it by very much. But after years of sleeping on a mattress that was in reality too firm for my very light body, this mattress is wonderful.

But it didn't fix the insomnia Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 28 2 hours ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 183 11 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,959 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 175 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.