Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FRUSTRATION
FRUSTRATION
I got my CPAP and have used it two nights. I have a mask that is just below my nose --- so I assume that is called a nasal mask. When trying to sleep --- and while wearing the thing, I don't think I have slept at all --- every 15 minutes air blows out of my mouth. So trying to sleep did not happen ---

The second night --- needing sleep I threw the mask off after 33 minutes so I could sleep.

Can't get in to see a therapist until Monday. I know I should use the embarrassing thing but I also need sleep.

I am so frustrated I can't see straight. --- and I'm tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FRUSTRATION
Yes, that is a nasal mask.

Two solutions come to mind.
1) Use a chin strap to help train the mouth to stay closed.
2) Go to a full face mask (FFM). It's lower seal is just below the lower lip.

Welcome

BTW -- which resmed airsense 10 do you have?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 09:57 AM)colthoff Wrote: I got my CPAP and have used it two nights. I have a mask that is just below my nose --- so I assume that is called a nasal mask. When trying to sleep --- and while wearing the thing, I don't think I have slept at all --- every 15 minutes air blows out of my mouth. So trying to sleep did not happen ---

The second night --- needing sleep I threw the mask off after 33 minutes so I could sleep.

Can't get in to see a therapist until Monday. I know I should use the embarrassing thing but I also need sleep.

I am so frustrated I can't see straight. --- and I'm tired.

Ummm it took me a FULL 6 months to be able to sleep all night without ripping the mask off. That is around 182 nights.

The issue is learning how to breathe only through your nose, and to get used to something on your face.

One thing I knew was that I could sleep a bit in a chair that reclines a bit because the airways can't collapse.

In short, I know your hurt and frustration, but see if you can try a CHIN STRAP to hold your mouth shut. You're actually using a nasal pillows mask. I find the Resmed P10 to be the best. If you're not using that ask the therapist if u can try it

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi colthoff,

I'm a newbie to the forum but been on CPAP for a year and a half. I'm still learning thanks to the great and knowledgeable people here. But I wanted to mention something about your comment with respect to "embarrassing." When I first started cpap therapy, I felt the same way. I thought it was embarrassing especially when I went to work with that faint line on my face from my head gear. But I learned to get over it as my health improved and I adjusted to the therapy. Now, I could care less what my face looks like and when I'm asked about that faint line, I tell it like it is; I'm a hosehead.

I'm travel frequently for work and I always take my cpap with me. What struck me right away was the number of people I saw traveling with cpap machines. I would recognize other passengers carrying the same cpap travel bag and when we made eye contact, we would give each other that "knowing" nod. There are way more cpap users out there then you realize.

My son is a security screener at a major Canadian airport and he tells me that he sees cpap machines everyday. He recently told me about a passenger who didn't want to take his machine out of the bag because "it was embarrassing." My son told the passenger that there was nothing to be embarrassed about and that "my father uses a cpap and refers to himself as a "hosehead" all the time. The passenger actually smiled and asked him that was a true story. Needless to say, a very true story. I don't mean to lecture anyone but I hope you embrace your cpap machine and disregard any embarrassment.

Good luck from one hosehead to another.
Post Reply Post Reply
You asked what airsense 10 I have --- I don't know. How do you find that out? Also, many posts quote some initials with numbers ie a?l<.8 or some such things. What do all those mean and where can i find those numbers on my machine?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 11:40 AM)colthoff Wrote: You asked what airsense 10 I have --- I don't know. How do you find that out?

It's written on the front of the machine, on the right bottom corner. Something like "elite" or "autoset".

BTW, very usual and normal not to tolerate the equipment for the first few days. It took me at least 4 weeks before I managed to sleep 3 or 4 continuous hours with the mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too early to be frustrated. This a long journey. Just keep in mind that there is a light at the end of this journey.

A chin strap sounds necessary. I used an athletic head/sweat band until I got my official one. You TRAIN yourself to therapy. I have gotten to where I can switch from therapy to breathing/yawning/ talking under pressure. Now I think I could even eat lunch with the mask on. (Not recommended)

Hang in there. Relief does hot happen overnight.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 10:27 AM)justMongo Wrote: Yes, that is a nasal mask.

I thought what colthoff described is called a nasal pillow or nasal cushion... I thought my F&P Eson was what is classed as a "nose mask" .. are the cushions also called a nasal mask? (as opposed to a nose mask)

Damn, CPAP gets confusing. Oh-jeez Dielaughing

colthoff, it can take some time to get used to using CPAP.
And also take some time getting your mask adjusted to suit, as well as getting the pressure settings refined to maximise effectiveness for you.. it is all very much a personal thing.

Welcome to the Apnea Board and the CPAP journey. Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I inferred it was a nasal mask as I envisioned a mask with a seal to the face on the upper lip. I could be wrong -- might be nasal pillows. Until colthoff gives us more info, it could be either.

The problem he describes would be the same either way.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 11:40 AM)colthoff Wrote: You asked what airsense 10 I have --- I don't know. How do you find that out?
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]

Your CPAP pressure 15 is on the high side, if the machine is an AutoSet, might be a good idea to chat with the doctor utilizing the autoset mode, so pressure start at a lower pressure and increase gradually as needed. Ramp feature also helps starting at lower pressure for a period time until reach set pressure

There're few tips here, might be helpful for a newbies ...
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 127 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  mask frustration bigmichiganjim 6 1,542 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 2,450 11-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
  Maskes - never ending frustration FrankNichols 5 1,588 10-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  Frustration and On or Off? Heated tube humidification? Daisylouu 9 2,794 12-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  Frustration with leaks ? Eurika 2 1,972 03-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Last Post: snowdrop
  Insurance Frustration penbate 3 2,404 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: penbate

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.