Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FYI A surgurical experience
Thumbsup 
FYI A surgurical experience
I just completed a Partial Knee Replacement Yesterday.
During the pre-screen I was asked (among a lot of other things) Any troubel with the anesthesiology?  I said only that I was constantly reminded to breath.   did I have any breathing difficulties?  I answered "Yes, OSA do you want me to bring my breathing machine?" she responded   "No", Me "I have an AHI of 70 unassisted",  She said OK, I responded " I have Severe Obstructed Apnea per a (recent) sleep study meaning I STOP BREATHING 70 times per hour when I sleep"  Her response was to bring it, so I did.

I carried it into Pre-Op where I was relieved of it as it was taken to recovery.  I repeated to the nurses, and finally the anesthetist  who said we will have it checked (electrical safety) and brought into surgery,  They plugged it in added water, added a purifying filter with an O2 connection put me in it.  I was on some pretty "good" meds, if you know what I mean.  During the surgery I was asked to breath, so I advised the assistant to raise my pressure by 2 and increase the PS to 6 which I knew tended to trigger me to breath.

A very good experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FYI A surgurical experience
Fantastic!!!

Best of luck with your recovery!
Post Reply Post Reply
Kudos to you for taking charge of your health like that. Best of luck on a quick recovery from the knee surgery.

Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't use my CPAP on my most recent surgery because it was surgery done through an endoscope (to remove a benign tumor on my pituitary gland by accessing the base of my brain via my nostrils) and all the doctors agreed it could be detrimental to have any airway pressure applied until the cavity up my nose had closed off properly (I wasn't even allowed to cough or use a straw!). The rationale was that any pressure could cause me to leak spinal fluid and get meningitis.

What was bad about that is I could barely sleep. High doses of opioids/narcotics in the hospital combined with obstructives and the alarm on my vital monitor kept going off because SpO2 kept falling below threshold due to the apneas when I drifted off to sleep coupled with the respiratory depressing effects of opioid medications.

Eventually they had me keep a supplemental oxygen sprayer line in my mouth (my nose was blocked up with stents and scar tissue so I couldn't put it there like it normally goes). They tried to use supplemental oxygen via a mask at first but even the largest mask caused me serious pain from pressing on my nose.

Anyway congrats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear that you really pushed your concerns. The anesthesiologist always wants to hear about these issues!
Post Reply Post Reply
I never would have thought of that. Incredible. Seems like I learn something new every second on this forum. Congrats!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ill add that I never doubted their ability to handle anything that came up. Just wanted what wa easiest and best for everyone.

The best response I had was when I said I STOPPED breathing 70 times per hour per a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of hospitals are going to where you DON'T bring your machine HOWEVER after talking with a couple of RT's I know the MOST IMPORTANT thing to know is your xPAP settings. They can and will mirror them for you. Many will allow, and actually prefer, you to bring your own mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour,

I am incredulous that you were told initially you didn't need to bring your machine for outpatient surgery.   I was told to bring mine for an upcoming colonoscopy and I am sure I will be told the same thing for an outpatient general anesthesia procedure a few weeks later.

Even if the chances of it not being needed in the recovery room are slim and none, I think it is still very irresponsible to tell a patient with sleep apnea not to bring it.

Glad to hear things worked out well for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Bonjour on this. My last colonoscopy last year I was told I would not need the PAP. I brought it anyway and didn't need it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 543 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,450 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,339 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 512 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,011 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.