Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Face mask ?
Face mask ?
Newbie here, have been using APAP for a week now. Doing ok, have been able to stay on the machine progressing from 3.5 hrs to 5.5 hrs last night. I was started on FFM Resmed, it's ok but my issue is the thing feels huge! Impossible to read before sleep because I must wear glasses. I'm a mouth breather but was wondering if it's possible to train myself to nose breath and wear something like the Dreamwear. Or any other suggestions. My apnea events have been down from 32 to 2.5 with the FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Face mask ?
Yes, it's possible to train yourself to breath through nose only. This takes a little practice but does work.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth. Then gently suck your tongue upwards. This action helps to place your tongue in a natural position and forms a seal at the back of your throat. This way if you open your mouth, no air will escape.

You may have to wear a chin strap until you master this, but a small price to pay to be able to wear a different mask like the DreamWear or better yet a nasal pillow mask.

Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. This has been tough but I'm determined to make it work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thunderbritches,
WELCOME to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to and the mask is the most challenging part of this whole thing, but it's good to hear that you are determined to make it work for you. Don't be shy about asking to try different masks 'till you find the right one that you can work with.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2016, 07:49 PM)Thunderbritches Wrote: ... I was started on FFM Resmed, it's ok but my issue is the thing feels huge! Impossible to read before sleep because I must wear glasses. ...

If it is the Quattro FX, I use that too. I've found I can rotate my frames with the mask on and push the arms 180 degrees (so they are pointing away from my face instead of resting on my ears), then carefully slide the frame out.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 748 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.