Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Facial Changes + Apnea Made Worse By CPAP Article...
Facial Changes + Apnea Made Worse By CPAP Article...
This is from 2010, so I may be bringing up an old topic.

Oct. 5, 2010 -- Repeated use of nasal continuous positive airway pressure (nCPAP) machines to treat obstructive sleep apnea may have some side effects on facial structure, a study shows.

But researchers did not report any permanent damage to the face from the machines.

Researchers at Kyushu University Hospital in Fukuoka, Japan, and at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, studied 46 adults, 89% of them male, with obstructive sleep apnea.

Earlier research had reported craniofacial side effects among children who used nCPAP machines. But the researchers say there had been no documented evidence indicating there was also craniofacial changes in adults.

The researchers took X-rays of the participants’ faces after they had used the airway pressure machines for more than two years. Nasal continuous positive airway pressure involves wearing a mask to bed at night that is connected to a machine that helps patients breathe easier. Patients are typically fitted for their masks.

After evaluating the participants, researchers found that using these airway pressure machines was associated with reduced maxillary and mandibular or front jaw prominence, and altering the two dental arches.

Researchers suspect the air pressure from the machine may contribute to these changes. There were no significant correlations between the participant’s age, body mass index, apnea-hypopnea index (measurement of apnea episodes) and the craniofacial changes.

The concern is that repeated use of these machines could change one’s facial profile, reduce tongue space, and potentially worsen obstructive sleep apnea symptoms over time, particularly if craniofacial changes reduce the patient’s ability to breathe.

The findings are reported in the October issue of Chest, a journal of the American College of Chest Physicians.

The researchers note that these observations raise more questions and require more follow-up.

“The side effects of dental changes obviously have a small impact compared with the beneficial effects of nCPAP, such as reducing the AHI [apnea-hypopnea index] and daytime sleepiness,” the researchers write. “However, because the effects of these dental and skeletal changes have not been fully investigated, further study is required to uncover the factors affecting these changes.”

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sle...al-changes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Facial Changes + Apnea Made Worse By CPAP Article...
Too small a sample to draw any real conclusion. I suggest the following - all those who have had some sort of skull x-ray before their CPAP use for diagnostic purposes, and have now used it for, say, five years or more, submit to second x-ray, have a look at changes, and submit them to the researchers - it would improve the sample. Most people have dental x-rays regularly, so those could also be submitted as evidence. Go ahead, help them widen their sample. Please include mask type and length of use (years) with your information.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Facial Changes + Apnea Made Worse By CPAP Article...
Thank you DocWils
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 327 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,987 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.