Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quatro Mirage
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-18 auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Bi-vocational Pastor

Sex: Male

RE: Facial Liner/FFM Cushion Questions
(05-19-2014 10:32 PM)Stargazer Wrote:  Boy, I can attest to the Quattro being harsh for sure! The bridge of my nose was a mess with just the mask. Although the pad is helping, it's a pain in the butt. Was hoping the liners may be a better alternative.

Will have to take a look a the Pad-a-cheek as well.

You may be wearing your mask on the wrong end... Thinking-about Lolabove
05-20-2014 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Stargazer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quatro
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-20-2014 10:10 AM)glfredrick Wrote:  Although the pad is helping, it's a pain in the butt. Was hoping the liners may be a better alternative.

You may be wearing your mask on the wrong end... Thinking-about Lolabove

Ha, left myself open on that one. Good one!

Dielaughing

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
05-20-2014 10:49 AM
Stargazer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

Just read another thread where "WakeUpTime" suggests using those round pad thingys for makeup removal located in the beauty dept at Costco for the bridge of the nose. Going to try that, sounds like an excellent idea!!

05-20-2014 10:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(05-19-2014 11:19 PM)Stargazer Wrote:  I'll take a clearer look at it tomorrow. Too late right now....

Would love to just be able to throw on the mask w/ no pads, liners or other accessories!

I use a Mirage Quattro at a pressure of 20 cm/H2O and I just throw the mask on with no liners or pads every night. The one thing that I do is to make very sure that each strap pair is equal length and that the mask and headgear are centered after putting them on. I started having a little soreness on my nose which I fixed by the 2 things I just mentioned and by refitting the mask so that the nose piece adjustment was a little further from my nose. I ended up with it set at about 3 instead of the previous setting of 0 (cranked all the way down).

I do not seem to have any sensitivity to the silicone used in the seals. I saw a thread where someone used the round cotton discs that are sold in drug stores as a nose pad. That person cut them in half on the diameter to use them. That person said they worked great.

The padacheek liner is made to stay with the mask so that you do not have to fit it each time and it has extra cushioning for the bridge of the nose. You would hopefully be able to just throw the mask on each night with this liner once you got it installed and the headgear adjusted.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-20-2014 10:53 AM
Stargazer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-20-2014 10:53 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  I use a Mirage Quattro at a pressure of 20 cm/H2O and I just throw the mask on with no liners or pads every night. The one thing that I do is to make very sure that each strap pair is equal length and that the mask and headgear are centered after putting them on.

Excellent advice! Something I've overlooked yet it is so obvious. I get so concerned about leaks that I adjust on the fly. Guaranteed I am out of alignment with strap length!

05-21-2014 08:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

One other thing. When you put the mask on and have the straps fastened, get the bottom straps as close up under your ears as possible. The further the headgear is down on your neck the more the forward and backward tilt of the head affects the strap tension. Just in case you had not noticed.
05-21-2014 11:08 AM
Stargazer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-21-2014 11:08 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  One other thing. When you put the mask on and have the straps fastened, get the bottom straps as close up under your ears as possible. The further the headgear is down on your neck the more the forward and backward tilt of the head affects the strap tension. Just in case you had not noticed.

And of course, I had not noticed! Tonight, I will try all of your suggestions and see how it goes. Hopefully, it will alleviate a few issues especially the nose bridge issue.

Many thanks again....excellent common sense advice!

Will report tomorrow on how it goes.

05-21-2014 11:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Stargazer Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

(05-21-2014 11:19 AM)Stargazer Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 11:08 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  One other thing. When you put the mask on and have the straps fastened, get the bottom straps as close up under your ears as possible. The further the headgear is down on your neck the more the forward and backward tilt of the head affects the strap tension. Just in case you had not noticed.

And of course, I had not noticed! Tonight, I will try all of your suggestions and see how it goes. Hopefully, it will alleviate a few issues especially the nose bridge issue.

Many thanks again....excellent common sense advice!

Will report tomorrow on how it goes.

RESULTS:

Much better aligning things up. A simple, common sense thing that I never considered.

Also, the cheap make-up removal pad things worked quite well on the bridge of my nose. Cut 'em in half and that's it. No more "icky" feeling from the Gekko nose pad and much more inexpensive!!

05-24-2014 08:00 AM
WakeUpTime Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One BiPAP S60 Auto 760
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 pillows
Humidifier: PR S1 w Heated Tube+Hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto / Inhale 11-12.5 / Exh 9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(05-20-2014 10:52 AM)Stargazer Wrote:  Just read another thread where "WakeUpTime" suggests using those round pad thingys for makeup removal located in the beauty dept at Costco for the bridge of the nose. Going to try that, sounds like an excellent idea!!

It's indeed been a great solution for me. One doesn't need the full thickness of those little pads as too much lift could introduce leaks (like those Gecko pads). They easily split in 1/2 like a hamburger bun. Then again, you also don't need all the extra fabric of the whole circle, so cut it in 1/2.

One just needs a tiny little bit of cozy cotton and the problem is instantly solved for about $0.001 per day (no daily washing required). I was eager to go the liner route but my e-mail to them was just ignored. Now I'm glad they did.

Sleep Apnea has given me a terrible memory. Please forgive me if I've repeated myself.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 04:00 PM by WakeUpTime.)
05-24-2014 03:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(05-19-2014 10:32 PM)Stargazer Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 12:40 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  The primary benefit of the Gekko though is to protect the bridge of your nose because sometimes the Quattro can be a bit harsh in that area.

Boy, I can attest to the Quattro being harsh for sure! The bridge of my nose was a mess with just the mask. Although the pad is helping, it's a pain in the butt. Was hoping the liners may be a better alternative.

Hi Stargazer,

The Mirage Quattro full face mask plus Gecko pad used to be my favorite mask. As I put the Gecko pad on, I would place it in an upside down V shape, to keep the Gecko out of my eyes. The Gecko lasts about 30 to 60 days before it gets too soft and stretchy to stay put and work well.

The Quattro FX full face mask works even better for me, much easier on my nose bridge, and no need for a Gecko. I must use a RemZzz liner with the Quattro FX, though, to keep the mask from flapping/burping on my face. I order the headgear for the Quattro FX which is one size smaller than the mask size. (Large mask, Medium headgear). I have a very large head, but the ResMed headgears tend to be too stretchy.

I am due for a new mask, so I'll be trying the new F10 mask, but I've heard the headgear is not adjustable and is too large. So again I'll try to order the F10 with headgear which is one size smaller than the mask.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2014 12:25 PM by vsheline.)
05-25-2014 05:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is it time to replace cushion on the mask worthog 3 232 11-26-2016 10:50 PM
Last Post: GP49
  Airfit P10 Cushion Deal edfreeman 18 893 09-26-2016 05:10 AM
Last Post: pupcamper
  AHI going up - time to change mask cushion? Lanco 6 521 09-18-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Where to buy Amara Full Face Mask Cushion in Philippines weeapnea 5 275 09-08-2016 01:07 AM
Last Post: weeapnea
  Mask liner video and doing better jxyzobrien 1 201 08-29-2016 08:37 AM
Last Post: surferdude2
  best mask liner? monikah123 9 711 05-24-2016 11:34 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Newbie sharing my homemade FFM liner idea toniko 10 1,361 04-27-2016 03:30 AM
Last Post: toniko