Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Facial hair tricks
Facial hair tricks
So, I'm pretty emotionally attached to my facial hair. As with a lot of guys with facial hair it is part of their identity so, trimming it is not ideal but we can adapt and shaving it off is virtually a show stopper.

Anyways, I'm a mouth breather so I have to use a FFM. I have been able to get a good seal for the most part but really have to crank down the head gear to make it happen because I have to seal off the hair . So, I'm wondering if any of you guys have any tips and/or tricks to getting a good seal with facial hair.

Yes, I know the first trick is to use a nasal mask or nasal pillows. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Facial hair tricks
I hope someone helps you on this. When I shaved my mustache off, my wife laughed at me for a week straight. Confused
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I'll survive but curious if anyone has any advice to make it a life a little easier.

I've had a Goatee since I got out of the military in 2008 and it is just part of me. It was about 4 inches long so I've already trimmed it down to a number 2 guard on the trimmer. That made me sad.... Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a mask liner?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard. I get a small increase in leakage rate but have pretty good success with my Wisp Nasal Mask.

Best of luck to you. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wasn't there a hybrid mask out there that had both oral and nasal interfaces but was not a FFM?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried a ResMed "hybrid" mask called the Mirage Liberty. Maybe it is considered a "full face mask", I'm not certain. Not having a goatee myself, I do not know if this would be an improvement over a full face mask or not. It worked pretty well, but all the headgear was too much for me. I switched back to the Swift Fx pillows.... with, I must confess, tape on my mouth to keep my lips from flapping open at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am (or was) a mouth breather with a fullset (ie beard and moustache). I now use a nasal mask with no problem. It took some time to get used to keeping my mouth closed and breathing through my nose. At first I would use a crepe bandage round my head to keep my mouth closed but I have discarded that and all is well 95%+ of the time. It was worth the effort and determination. Anyway, whatever you try....Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hedgy, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2013, 05:43 PM)cbramsey Wrote: I have a full beard. I get a small increase in leakage rate but have pretty good success with my Wisp Nasal Mask.

Best of luck to you. Sleep-well

I too have a full beard and use nasal pillows
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any tips or tricks for daytime fatigue? Rook83 0 479 07-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Rook83
  New Electronic Facial patch for Detecting Sleep Apnea Sleepless in Dewberry 0 405 05-26-2023, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepless in Dewberry
  F&P Evora Full With Facial Hair DreamerDude 2 924 11-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: DreamerDude
  Mask leaks facial fissures Mark Douglas 3 638 10-24-2022, 12:52 AM
Last Post: narual
  Facial skin stretching and creasing Oracles 4 911 03-29-2022, 06:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc anobono 5 1,001 01-14-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cberistain
  Upcoming Full face mask fitting at DME provider, facial shape considerations Rgn3 13 1,433 06-15-2021, 10:45 PM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.